Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

On 12/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, MovieMagic said:

For what it’s worth, the RT audience score has risen to 90% now. I personally think it’s a little early to judge what this film’s run is going to look like.

Looks like the audience score has now risen to 91% with a 1000+ verified ratings.

Just got out. What an absolute delight. I do think the last 20 minutes were a bit too blasé but hard to ask for more overall. I enjoyed the songs, most notably Scrub Scrub. This is exactly the kind of movie I was expecting from the  Paddington director, and I expect it to rake in the dough over the holidays. Look forward to seeing it again. And Timothee killed it.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 10:01 PM, MovieMan89 said:

With the OS performance and early WOM, I’m fully on board #3 for the year DOM now. Wonder if it can hit 3rd WW? Opp is making a push for a bil, and I’m not sold yet this can touch 1b WW. Either way, I’d be very surprised if 4th DOM and WW don’t happen at the least. 

Is this still happening.

1 hour ago, joselowe said:

Is this still happening.

Guess you missed where I said I will not be discussing legs for it until we’re well through the holidays??? 

Though I have said in the weekend thread this weekend has been meh for it imo. More than 50% surprised me 

Edited by MovieMan89

12 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Guess you missed where I said I will not be discussing legs for it until we’re well through the holidays??? 

Though I have said in the weekend thread this weekend has been meh for it imo. More than 50% surprised me 

Must’ve missed it 

1699713414014-gif.404600

• Haha 1

It was fun and an ideal movie to watch for Christmas. It's pleasant and looks considerably better than what the CGI sheen of the trailers suggested. I was also a bit surprised by how much of a musical it actually is, maybe I would have preferred it to have a few less songs since most of them weren't that memorable. I may sound a bit negative but this is fine, a fun family film. Certainly way better than Mary Poppins Returns which has been the constant comparison point pre-release.

I also think Timmy was pretty good in it. His singing voice is whatever but he has presence which is the most important thing for a big production like this. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:27 AM, poweranimals said:

Just saw the movie tonight and loved it. Not sure why people are saying Wonka was miscast. I thought he did fantastic. Also, the Oompa Loompa was great. I knew I would enjoy it but it surpassed my expectations. 

I really enjoyed his take on this more wide-eyed, optimistic, but still really sad at times character. I was all in on him. Loved the film, hopefully it encourages more to check out King’s Paddington movies (the second one is a stone cold masterpiece)

• Like 2

my life isnt any better or any worse after seeing this, bit bland , but pleasant enough 

I did watch it in another language, but despite what the trailers implied, chamalet was good

some nice scenes but also others in which it tried too hard

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

wonka is one of the biggest post covid box office stories. Very underestimated in this forum discussions.

What are people predicting? Because between the holidays and the IP I thought 500M was absolutely possible right after I watched the first trailer. People here were even saying it would have crazy legs and end up in the top 4 for 2023.

8 hours ago, Speedorito said:

What are people predicting? Because between the holidays and the IP I thought 500M was absolutely possible right after I watched the first trailer. People here were even saying it would have crazy legs and end up in the top 4 for 2023.

Read page 1. Whoever at WB opted to gamble on Barbie and Wonka IP deserves a raise.