Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

Just come back from seeing this.

Loads of really, really good things about it, hampered by the fact that it was one film trying to do the job of at least two. That's the issue with these Properties that are less known to the public: they need time to tell the story, but they can't say it will be two films when there's no guarantee the second one would get green lit.

Mostly everyone did well given the circumstance, though the male lead is a bit bland. No chance box office wise in the US, but thought it would have had a chance WW. Seems like it isn't the case.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 6:11 PM, CJohn said:

This was fine. Generic story with great potential wrapped in the best visuals of the year. It probably cost 200M and it shows.

I have read it only budgettet at 100 mill

No stars (and all newbies, both male and female, a Taylor Kitch-level bland), obscure YA property, steampunk. It was bound to fail. I don't know why Jackson bought rights. It seems to me that he felt it wouldn't break out since he didn't direct it (even though he wanted to back then). 

These numbers are horrid especially since it had no competition. Aquaman opened only in China so this was clobbered by what? Bohemian Rhapsody in its 7th week of release? Or something.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

These numbers are horrid especially since it had no competition. Aquaman opened only in China so this was clobbered by what? Bohemian Rhapsody in its 7th week of release? Or something.

Well, each country has their own selection of homegrown films that relate to them in much more direct of a way. I'm sure the people of each specific country chose to see films that were tailored made for them, with stars they recognized from their countries.

This theory would especially pertain to South Korea.

the rest is at the UK thread in the International sub-forum to find. For faster change see link in my signature

'Mortal Engines' starts with £578,861 from previews ahead of launch this week - full UK box office results:

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, CJohn said:

This was fine. Generic story with great potential wrapped in the best visuals of the year. It probably cost 200M and it shows.

You really need more then great visuals for a hit nowdays.  You could get away with great visuals and mediocre or bad everything else back in 2009 but nowdays you have to deliver more.

FIlm is not a trainwreck, but it really needed  to be really good and get a really good reception to have a chance against the just plain brutal completion.A mixed reception just will not do it.

If it really cost 200 Million, the losses on this are going to be huge...probabl6 the heaviest in Jackson career.

• Knock It Off 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Zakiyyah6 said:

The only people who are surprised are the people who pretend to be. The film has nothing going for it. Peter Jackson's name doesn't sell anymore.

It it's doing poorly in markets where there is weak competition, I hate to think of the US where it will lose the opening weekend to the Spideyverse movie by a big margin, and then get clobbered by the heavy hitters in the week after.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It it's doing poorly in markets where there is weak competition, I hate to think of the US where it will lose the opening weekend to the Spideyverse movie by a big margin, and then get clobbered by the heavy hitters in the week after.

I'm honestly thinking under 10 million could happen. I want to see what the final tracking numbers are.