kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

Cohen, however, said he understood why the surviving members of Queen wanted a more PG-rated version of the film that vaunted the band's legacy. 

he soon realized that they wanted the second half of the film to focus on how Queen carried on after Mercury's death in 1991.

So yeah, a good Freddie movie is not happening. It doesn't matter if Malek is great. 

And Queen fans are ruthless, they've destroyed every attempt to keep the band going (until Adam finally won them over) so I dont think this will be any different. 

5 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

So yeah, a good Freddie movie is not happening. It doesn't matter if Malek is great. 

And Queen fans are ruthless, they've destroyed every attempt to keep the band going (until Adam finally won them over) so I dont think this will be any different. 

wait shit is the second part true? wtf? Freddie is only in half of the film? 

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

This was the script that SBC was negotiating with the band about at the time...we don't know how much has changed. 

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

I don't think casting a white guy would have gone over well.

I see they also gave Malek the infamous overbite Mercury had

Which is quite the feat as usually Malek has quite the underbite.

Edited by Ithil

47 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I believe that was the idea for the original script, but it could have changed once filming starts.

Spoiler

I believe the climax of the film takes place during the Live Aid concert, so I think it's fair to say the whole "Freddie in the first half" idea is likely not happening. Freddie probably dies at the very end of the movie

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Looks whatever, not sure why you guys are getting so hyped

Looks sort of Meh. I like Queen just fine but this looks like a run of the mill musical biopic.

It could be a situation of a really good performance in an otherwise not all the great movie,like "Darkest Hours".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Then Fox should not have released a teaser that hyped “HIS STORY” as being more extraordinary than “THEIR MUSIC.” Also, barring some massive rework, the film is more about Mercury than Queen. How about showing some of the story - his story - in the teaser if that is supposedly more important and interesting than the music? The advertising lingo in the teaser does not match the content of the teaser. That’s the issue here.

I think for most people Freddie Mercury = Queen. Maybe that is wrong, but ask most people to name a member of Queen other then Mercury,and they probably couldn't. Queen was not like the Beatles or the Stones,where all the band members became well known.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LonePirate said:

If the movie straight-washes Mercury, there will be a backlash against the film that will sink its awards chances and its box office grosses. Critics and moviegoers alike will destroy the film if that happens. 

If the film’s sole or primary focus is on the band as a whole and their music, then a great film could be made about that. Similarly, a great movie could be made about Mercury provided the movie is honest. I have no idea which of the two we will receive based on that teaser. Maybe it will be both?

Given that Baron Cohen wanted the film to be about Freddie Mercury's life, and Brian May who had creative control wanted the film to be more about Queen so refused - you can make your assumptions on that.

Curious how this performs against something like Straight Outta Compton. As someone who lived in both the UK and US during this era, it'll be interesting to see the crossover effect. Lived in Scotland when Mercury died, and moved to California shortly thereafter to see the rise in NWA artists popularity after the LA riots.

Edited by ThePhasmid

IndieWire has an article up about TV producer Bryan Fuller slamming Fox for "hetero-washing" the film's current promotion. It's only going to go downhill from here if this is the reaction as the marketing campaign kicks off. Looks like the White House isn't the only source of propaganda and lies nowadays if this turns out to be the case with this film.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/bryan-fuller-bohemian-rhapsody-trailer-freddie-mercury-gay-aids-1201965009/

9 hours ago, LonePirate said:

If the teaser was a court case, it would be dismissed for a lack of evidence supporting the case they are trying to make. 

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Looks like the White House isn't the only source of propaganda and lies nowadays if this turns out to be the case with this film.

Dude. What in the shit is your grudge against this film.

46 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

IndieWire has an article up about TV producer Bryan Fuller slamming Fox for "hetero-washing" the film's current promotion. It's only going to go downhill from here if this is the reaction as the marketing campaign kicks off. Looks like the White House isn't the only source of propaganda and lies nowadays if this turns out to be the case with this film.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/bryan-fuller-bohemian-rhapsody-trailer-freddie-mercury-gay-aids-1201965009/

This is ridiculous. The woman in the trailer is Mary Austin. She was his girlfriend for SIX YEARS and was with him when his career was just beginning and he was unknown. He even proposed to her at one point. They broke up because he had an affair with another man and he came to terms with his sexuality but they remained very close friends. He was the godfather to her oldest kid and even bought her a house. He always said that she was the love of his life and wrote multiple songs about her including "love of my life" When he died he left almost his ENTIRE ESTATE to her and she is the ONLY person who knows where his ashes are buried. It would be ridiculous to not include her prominently in the film

I'm sorry but sometimes gay people do too much and erase bisexuality or other sexualities. Its not like Freddie was ever public about his sexuality at all when he was alive anyway. The movie is obviously not going to make him straight considering  his last  long term partner Jim Hutton is in the cast. 

All of this based on a teaser trailer that mostly shows Queen preforming lmao.... 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Some of us do not possess your high tolerance for false advertising, lies and bigotry.

But it's a trailer. The whole point is that it's cut for the specific reason of drawing in the general audience. So no it doesn't include the entire contents of the film. I think it's a bit rich to say what the trailer indicates given that Freddie only has two short lines in the trailer.

it's a 90 second teaser with some songs and "exciting" shots of concerts and recording studios and shit. literally the entire point of the teaser is just to go "Hey, remember Queen? We made a movie about those guys!". i'm usually pretty good at calling the nonsense that the internet is gonna pretend to be offended by from movies but this one took me by surprise.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 11