75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

Absolutely love it, yeah its slow paced but Third act of Arrival is mind-blowing, wow...i need to see it again. And Amy Adams just broke my heart, she should earn her 6th (?) oscar nominations.

Also visual effects, sound, cinematography, score every technical aspect is just perfect. i can see it winning oscar for Visuals like Ex Machina last year

Edited by Damianport1
  • Like 3

I think Arrival could have strong legs tbh. It'll have a nice theater increase next weekend, a soft drop due to Thanksgiving the weekend after that, and then two barren weekends until Rogue One and the rest of the holiday shuffle comes along to wipe everything out.

Arrival is very good, it's slow but it's worth the watch. I'm surprised it only cost $47m to make with the talent involved and the CG aliens.

I notice 21 Laps produced Arrival, Shawn Levy seems to be picking great projects to produce from Stranger Things to this. He's a solid director but he's carving a good reputation as a producer. 

Edited by Jonwo

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Arrival is very good, it's slow but it's worth the watch. I'm surprised it only cost $47m to make with the talent involved and the CG aliens.

I notice 21 Laps produced Arrival, Shawn Levy seems to be picking great projects to produce from Stranger Things to this. He's a solid director but he's carving a good reputation as a producer. 

Just imagine if Arrival gets nominated for best picture. We'll soon be hearing ads saying "From Shawn Levy the Oscar nominated director of Night At The Museum comes...".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Just imagine if Arrival gets nominated for best picture. We'll soon be hearing ads saying "From Shawn Levy the Oscar nominated director of Night At The Museum comes...".

I wonder if Shawn Levy will ever do an Oscar bait film, his strengths is in comedy, fantasy and action, he would my top choice to direct Shazam. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Shawn Levy will ever do an Oscar bait film, his strengths is in comedy, fantasy and action, he would my top choice to direct Shazam. 

I doubt it, and if it did, it'd probably be a huge failure. Shawn Levy should stick to comedy / adventure, he's not exactly a great director.

I think 250m will happen for Doctor Stange, and The Winter Soldier is very well on sight. A 3x multiplier is happening, or at least it will come damn close. Fantastic Beasts will hurt it but not that bad, maybe 55% drop next weekend, it will recover after that.

Edited by picores
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ent said:

Interesting, it differs to Hollywood Reporte's predicition / numbers

Arrival ... estimated $9.4 million from 2,317 theaters for a projected $22 million-$23 million weekend, notably ahead of predictions ....around $16 million.

...Doctor Strange .... $14.9 million on its second Friday for a weekend take of more than $40 million from 3,882 locations. The movie could fall only 51 percent, one of the lowest declines for any Marvel Cinematic Universe title.

Trolls, .... to fall just 24 percent .... estimated $35 million after earning $12.2 million Friday from 4,066 theaters.

All three films, as well as new ensemble holiday comedy Almost Christmas, are doing better than expected so far.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/weekend-box-office-arrival-doctor-strange-trolls-post-election-946299

They speak about ecapism as a possible reason

Edited by terrestrial