75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I dunno about Rogue One....since that film is PG-13....and probably won't cut Moana's legs off too much.

Sing, though....is the one people should be aware about.

But the Good Dinosaur got dumped and Disney focused all their marketing efforts toward TFA.

Though I doubt that happens because, as some have pointed out, Moana is getting positive reviews.

16 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

About time .  Hopefully variable prices for films translates to lower prices for non tent poles instead of the ridiculous add on charges for tent poles as seen in some other countries.  That could help indies and mid tier films

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-entertainment-cfo-craig-ramsey-talks-flexible-movie-ticket-pricing-948353

Helps them? I'm afraid it will punish them. This would encourage studios to make even more blockbuster films and movie theaters to only show blockbusters (especially franchises with a lot of upfront demand) .

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Fantastic Beasts should finish a lot closer to $30m for Friday.  

Moonlight is also way under estimated.  

So you are saying with friday studio estimates FB should be estimated at 30m instead of RTH's 29.5m. Not bad at all. Also Deadline's 1st estimate was spot on.

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Will Moana end up closest in gross to Tangled (200 m), Brave (237 m) or Frozen (400 m)?

Tangled. I honestly feel Trolls has had better marketing, even though this is Disney. There aren't any catchy songs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But the Good Dinosaur got dumped and Disney focused all their marketing efforts toward TFA.

Though I doubt that happens because, as some have pointed out, Moana is getting positive reviews.

Yeah, but Rogue One won't be as huge as Force Awakens, DOM-wise....so Moana doesn't have too much to worry about.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jb007 said:

If people based their expectations on what happened with The Hobbit, this seems pretty good. While the Hobbit had the younger version of one of the main players from FOTR, FB has none wrt HP.

I feel it has done fine. Would WB hope for a bigger OW, Certainly. But again who wouldn't hope for a bigger opening for their movies.

I was looking presales on pulse and they were huge, level SS, just a bit minor. 90M looked makes a lot sense. Well, I still want to know where are the fucking huge presales I saw in the box office.

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I was looking presales on pulse and they were huge, level SS, just a bit minor. 90M looked makes a lot sense. Well, I still want to know where are the fucking huge presales I saw in the box office.

I was speaking with a few of the guys on WhatsApp that have a better grasp of the box office than I do and they were explaining to me that previews and pre sales are way bigger now then what they were even two or three years ago. So the pre-sales that you saw for Fantastic Beasts we're legitimate but it's just not translating into the same kind of percentage that older films did. I hope that makes sense somehow LOL

• Like 3

That is honestly a really strong OD in comparison to the preview (29%) and is almost an identical percentage to DS.  I want a Saturday number before I get my hopes to high but maybe this is going to be much less frontloaded than the Potters were and play better over a longer period of time.  Thanksgiving can't do anything but help.

If it were to follow similar comps to DS it would look something like:

77.8 OW.

Until we get Saturday numbers I would say the range is anywhere from 72-80.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

Good number. Fantastic beasts has been receiving rave reviews on my facebook. And the preview to full day ratio is well below that of Potter which is a good sign for legs. Call me crazy but I actually think a 3x is within the realm of possibility lol. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lumos said:

Good number. Fantastic beasts has been receiving rave reviews on my facebook. And the preview to full day ratio is well below that of Potter which is a good sign for legs. Call me crazy but I actually think a 3x is within the realm of possibility lol. 

For a third time. The only live action November film to open over $50M and break the 3x multi barrier in the last 10 years was Skyfall.

Edit: The ones that did break 3x in the early 2000s likely wouldn't today in the age of 6pm/7pm Thursday previews.

Edited by kswiston

Let's go right in the middle and say it does 75.

Using Mockingjay comps (which I think FB should hold a bit better) we get something like:

M - 6.84

T - 9.09

W - 10.9

TH - 8.18

F - 16.85

S - 16

SU - 8.32

That gets it to 151.18 by next Sunday.  I don't see any reason why it should hold as poorly as TMJ2 did but I think this give us an idea of the absolute floor.  I can't see it missing 200 even with all of the competition until Rogue One.

• Like 2