75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

30 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I didn't. Vastly underestimated Strange's appeal. 

I get the feeling many are tiring of the glut of comic book movies in the market, and Dr. Strange is a fanboy favorite not a mass-market character. This leads me to believe DS is going to crap out at around $110m DOM.  

laughing jk simmons j jonah jameson guffaw

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

ANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM makes a huge $143.3M overseas opening weekend, for a $218.3M global total.

The OS number is huge. Can see it doing around 350-400 from current markets as all it needs is a 2.3X from these markets and has no competition over the next 3 weeks in most markets. If China adds 60-70M and Japan does 10-20M, the OS will end at 450M+

• Like 1

I always predicted an opening around $80M for Fantastic Beasts so this is a pretty good start IMO.

Acceptable drops for the holdovers all things considered. Hoping Arrival holds up well over Thanksgiving.

Really sad and unfortunate for The Edge of Seventeen, but at least it will find an audience on DVD. Bleed for This did terrible as expected, while Billy Lynn is clearly this year's "remember when this was expected to be a major Oscar player? lol" addition to the hall of shame.

Moonlight will get a second wind in January. Loving is doing fine.

Decent start for Nocturnal Animals but after seeing the movie, it will definitely be...divisive, let's just say that much.

Also a nice debut for Manchester by the Sea.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, grim22 said:

What Bollywood movie have you been watching. This hasn't been a particularly good year for Bollywood so far. Only one big big hit and no movie getting overall critical praise. I have watched way way lesser Bollywood movies in a theater this year than any year I can recall.

I meant Indian films, such as 3 Idiots, for approximately the last decade have been my preferred foreign films. This year, I am favoring the Korean films much more.

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

What is that???

BLEED FOR THIS opens with an estimated $2.35M opening weekend.

GOOD. Miles Teller is highly overrated douchebag. Has maybe 3 films worth talking about in his entire filmography and in those too he got overshadowed by the other lead. Oh and he thinks he is above the studio fair. Such an unwarranted smug attitude.

The fact that Damien Chazelle dropped him from La La Land even though he was very good in Whiplash, says a lot.

Has any director worked with him the 2nd time? divergent does not count.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 5

Not sure if all are aware about it: FB is 'only' released in ~ 2/3 of its international market acc. to tweets by the usual outlets, (e.g.?) China, Japan, Finland, and South Africa follow next weekend.

IMDb's ww release date chart is sadly usually incomplete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

All said, very solid for FB. The question now is legs and the future of the franchise. Don't know if it'll make it to 5 movies, though having it every other year could help them avoid THG syndrome.

I know it will never happen because release dates are at a premium but I would love a studio to say: well we'll see how this first movie does and go from there

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It's fine for FB but I'm still disappointed ?

I wanted at least $80m. With $75m OW it could barely pass $200m..this movie deserves so much more :(

When you see a film like Arrival, it puts it into perspective in terms of what movies deserve to have ridiculous success. 

As much as I really liked Fantastic Beasts. A $700 million WW gross is more than fine for it. 

• Like 1

I think Fantastic Beasts may hold up very well over Thanksgiving and won't be hurt by Moana as much as previously thought now that the audience numbers are in.  The audience skewed much more adult and everything indicates that WOM will be strong.

It won't lose theater placement either for the most part and will get the bigger houses in prime slots as Moana will play like a kids movie where it is stronger during the day and weaker in the evening.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I think Fantastic Beasts may hold up very well over Thanksgiving and won't be hurt by Moana as much as previously thought now that the audience numbers are in.  The audience skewed much more adult and everything indicates that WOM will be strong.

It won't lose theater placement either for the most part and will get the bigger houses in prime slots as Moana will play like a kids movie where it is stronger during the day and weaker in the evening.

I am expecting a ~50% drop.

• Like 1

Why disappointed? It's doing very well, legs should be good, WOM for now is excellent. About the 5 movies, J.K said she has a five movies story arc, and she's the one who made the announcement for five movies, WB is NOT going to say to her "oh well, it's 3 movies now". 

It bears reminding once again that this is basically an original movie with new characters, it's not like The Hobbit or Rogue One. Dumbledore is in the second movie, market THAT, sell it in the trailers, and the sequels will soar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Why disappointed? It's doing very well, legs should be good, WOM for now is excellent. About the 5 movies, J.K said she has a five movies story arc, and she's the one who made the announcement for five movies, WB is NOT going to say to her "oh well, it's 3 movies now". 

It bears reminding once again that this is basically an original movie with new characters, it's not like The Hobbit or Rogue One. Dumbledore is in the second movie, market THAT, sell it in the trailers, and the sequels will soar. 

It depends on who they cast as Dumbledore.