La Binoche

Weekend numbers. Moana 28.3 | FB 18.5 | Arrival 7.3 | Allied 7 | DS 6.8 | Trolls 4.6 | Hacksaw 3.4

6 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Not trolling, so maybe I just don't know about post-TG drops?

What I do know is that many were predicting that Moana would beat Fantastic Beasts DOM while I said FB would beat it pretty big, and that looks more likely now. Moana isn't going to be a Frozen, more like ... I don't know, Tangled? Wreck it Ralph? Maybe a stretch to Big Hero 6? Maybe hits $200m DOM? I don't see why anyone thinks that is a sure thing. 

Lol, Moana's Post-Thanksgiving drop is better than Frozen, Tangled and Toy Story 2.  Try to at least look at/refer to one reference point before you post man, there's no reason to believe Moana's legs are bad based on this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Sure seems like it :) Which is good. Rarely can an animated Studio pull off 2 great films in the same year - glad to see Disney (of all companies) buck the trend.

They're averaging one movie a year, in a way. WDAS didn't release a feature in 2015, and there won't be one in 2017 either. Somehow they're doing 2 movies in 2018, though. And then it's one movie a year again.

Edited by cannastop

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Sure seems like it :) Which is good. Rarely can an animated Studio pull off 2 great films in the same year - glad to see Disney (of all companies) buck the trend.

Well, usually when an animation studios usually releases two films a year, it's because one of them was delayed, often due to the production issues. That's not the case with Moana though. It's production was mostly "smooth sailing".

BTW Moana was fab. Great animation, good story, good characters, and some really awesome songs. You're Welcome has been stuck in my head for a while now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well, usually when an animation studios usually releases two films a year, it's because one of them was delayed, often due to the production issues. That's not the case with Moana though. It's production was mostly "smooth sailing".

BTW Moana was fab. Great animation, good story, good characters, and some really awesome songs. You're Welcome has been stuck in my head for a while now.

Disney have been pushing Pixar to do two films every other year whereas WDAS is essentially doing one film a year production wise but because they skipped 2015 due to The Good Dinosaur being delayed and skipping 2017 so they have two films in 2018 although they're back to one film a year from 2019

i do think it's a bit daft for Disney to make Pixar create another film every other year, I think one film a year works well for both studios, we've seen with DWA how multiple films in a year can dilute the quality of the films

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Disney have been pushing Pixar to do two films every other year whereas WDAS is essentially doing one film a year production wise but because they skipped 2015 due to The Good Dinosaur being delayed and skipping 2017 so they have two films in 2018 although they're back to one film a year from 2019

i do think it's a bit daft for Disney to make Pixar create another film every other year, I think one film a year works well for both studios, we've seen with DWA how multiple films in a year can dilute the quality of the films

While I can see where Disney is coming from (animation advancing, films not taking as long as they used to), it's still not a good idea to rush anything. It doesn't help that Lasseter is coming off a bit like a control freak in the past few years either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

They're averaging one movie a year, in a way. WDAS didn't release a feature in 2015, and there won't be one in 2017 either. Somehow they're doing 2 movies in 2018, though. And then it's one movie a year again.

I know :) been following for a long time - even 1 a year doesn't always mean great / good product *cough late 1990s / 2000s cough*

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I know :) been following for a long time - even 1 a year doesn't always mean great / good product *cough late 1990s / 2000s cough*

They had like 3 different studios at one time in the late 90s. California, Florida and France. Now it's just one. One of the reasons why they're not going back to 2D animation is that they have such an efficient pipeline for CGI hits. It's just 6 months straight by animators in Los Angeles, and there's the movie.

8 hours ago, Lumos said:

The fuck is wrong with some of these box office analaysts? Yesterday DHD predicting 23m for FB....now some other website predicting 16m when its pretty clear this heading for at least 17m probably closer to 18m. 

Deadline has zero clue how to predict a weekend multi from a Friday #. This has been shown almost every weekend for years.

Wow, Believe is an even bigger bomb than Incarnate. 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't realise incarnate was a WWE Aaron Eckhart vehicle. he got good reviews for sully and miles doller baby but i guess he just can't help himself huh.

In his defense, it was made like three years ago.

• Like 1

i saw moana mid day on a saturday, so lots of kids obviously, but i was pleasantly surprised that the audience was mostly quiet except laughing/awwing/etc at appropriate moments. queen moana just captivated them i guess

• Like 1