La Binoche

Weekend numbers. Moana 28.3 | FB 18.5 | Arrival 7.3 | Allied 7 | DS 6.8 | Trolls 4.6 | Hacksaw 3.4

33 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Another great hold for The Accountant.:D

Yep. I'd never thought it would have grossed more than Girl on the Train but I guess Affleck factor in Gone Girl got underestimated. 

Arrival is a beast and should hit 100M sometimes next year. It's staying in awards race so legs should be long indeed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Arrival drop is one of the Top 20 post-Thanksgiving weekend drop of all-time

The only movie with a better hold this century is Hugo, and that had a much more significant theater increase (+44% vs +19%). Well done.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Moana flopped in the UK. £2.1m opening, lower than The Good Dinosaur. Absolutely horrible, I don't know what happened. Way below previous WDA films. Maybe it'll do well over Christmas, but OS so far is looking quite weak. 

@Grand Moff Tele will be happy. He has Moana under 600M WW in his winter game and has been rooting for it to underperform. Based on China and U.K. Numbers it looks very likely it can come in below the number he wants (unless it pulls off a Frozen in Japan)

36 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Another great hold for The Accountant.:D

Will end really close to a 4 Multiplier. Great run for it, it's OW was higher than expected and it just had some great drops throughout. Will end up winning October over GOTT which no one predicted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Moana seems almost tailor made for Japan. There's more than a little Miyazaki in there. But then again that's how I felt about Brave and that didn't set the market on fire. Still, the potential to break out in Japan is certainly there.

It HAS to breakout big in Japan now. This OS performance so far is slit my wrist depressing. Not sure what the huge disconnect between the DOM and OS audiences is with it? 

• Like 1

Great numbers for Moana/FB!  Just an FYI for any Frozen comps going around - Frozen had a sleet/winter storm on its second weekend on the EC that muted its numbers a bit, which made the 3rd weekend look a bit softer than typical.

Awesome for Manchester as well!  Caught it Black Friday at Tysons and twas enjoyable; a unique character portrait.

hope to get to a full sellout count for Rogue One later today, it's my first relatively "free" day in a long time.  Also going to post price comps vs. TFA across my area.

• Like 2

I think Arrival can still hit 100M:

Dec 2: 7.3M (2M weekdays, 75.1M Total)

Dec 9: 5.8M (1.6M weekdays, 82.5M Total)

Dec 16: 3.8M (1.4M weekdays, 87.7M Total)

Dec 23: 3.5M (1.3M weekdays, 92.5M Total)

Jan 1: 3.3M (600k weekdays, 96.4M Total)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Doctor Strange has still Japan I think.

correct = 27 January 2017

22 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Wut ?

I blame Brexit.:angry:

Blame seemingly non-existing advertising (according the UK thread in the international sub-forum)

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It HAS to breakout big in Japan now. This OS performance so far is slit my wrist depressing. Not sure what the huge disconnect between the DOM and OS audiences is with it? 

THIS. If it was doing equally bad like TGD I wouldn't have been so frustrated and just, accepted the fate more easily you know :lol:

I thought maybe because the brown skin, then I don't wanna think that and would just prefer to think it was the little to no promotion at the cost of pushing DS and R1 more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Israel 8 December 2016  
Lebanon 8 December 2016  
Germany 22 December 2016  
Greece 22 December 2016  
Italy 22 December 2016  
Australia 26 December 2016  
Brazil 5 January 2017  
Argentina 19 January 2017  
South Korea 19 January 2017  
Turkey 20 January 2017  
Hong Kong 26 January 2017  
Denmark 2 February 2017  
Norway 3 February 2017  
Sweden 3 February 2017  
Japan 10 March 2017

• Like 1

This weekend is all about the indies. That is a sensational expansion for Manchester by the Sea. My audience yesterday was one of the oldest I can ever recall seeing a movie with, even older than when I saw The King's Speech or Lincoln. And after seeing the movie, it's gonna be around all of Oscar season.

The hold for Nocturnal Animals gives me hope that next weekend's wide expansion won't be too bad.

Pretty good start for Jackie but it'll be interesting to see how it fairs in expansion given that it's less mainstream-friendly than the typical biopic and its buzz has been fading as of late.

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Beasts has now surpassed Strange OS. $424m vs $419m. Beasts is going to be the second film in a DECADE to hit a 3x multiplier for a November opening above $50m. It just needs to do $223m to achieve that, which I think is likely at this point. 

And GREAT overseas weekend for Beasts. I think it'll end up with $225m DOM and $535m OS for $760m WW. 

Moana FLOPPED hard in the UK. 

Considering the great drop in Japan, I seriously doubt it only makes 110m OS from now on. It should make at least 30m more from that market alone, possibly more. 

• Like 1