Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, Highever said:

It's certainly an opinion. I don't think there's much doubt that The Force Awakens was very similar to A New Hope. Abrams admitted as much. 

As for Rey being... very advanced for someone without much training. This is a very common sentiment throughout the Star Wars fan community. 

Anakin was the same

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Highever said:

It's certainly an opinion. I don't think there's much doubt that The Force Awakens was very similar to A New Hope. Abrams admitted as much. 

As for Rey being... very advanced for someone without much training. This is a very common sentiment throughout the Star Wars fan community. 

@Christmas Baumer went over this a dozen times, but judging VII for its mysteries without seeing VIII and IX is a little premature... we have no idea who Rey really is for now, or where her powers come from.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Highever said:

Some are right to be worried that the specialty or uniqueness of the Star Wars films can be compromised in a desire for profit. But this criticism is far easier to substantiate against The Force Awakens than Rogue One. 

The Force Awakens is a mechanical, artificial, inorganic, formulaic, even doctrinaire film. Episode 7 could have been anything. It was a near carbon copy of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. When Star Wars came out in 1977, George Lucas was a visionary. When The Force Awakens came out in 2015, JJ Abrams was a mechanic. 

It does not help that The Force Awakens did much to call in to question the internal continuity of the Star Wars universe. Rey, for instance, is quite possibly the second coming of Christ, apparently. 

Hg3omCU.gif

Mkay.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'm slightly surprised you're not that interested. You see all sorts of crap in theaters. :lol: 

Hell buy the Steelbook no doubt.

11 minutes ago, Highever said:

Some are right to be worried that the specialty or uniqueness of the Star Wars films can be compromised in a desire for profit. But this criticism is far easier to substantiate against The Force Awakens than Rogue One. 

The Force Awakens is a mechanical, artificial, inorganic, formulaic, even doctrinaire film. Episode 7 could have been anything. It was a near carbon copy of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. When Star Wars came out in 1977, George Lucas was a visionary. When The Force Awakens came out in 2015, JJ Abrams was a mechanic. 

It does not help that The Force Awakens did much to call in to question the internal continuity of the Star Wars universe. Rey, for instance, is quite possibly the second coming of Christ, apparently. 

I'm pretty sure Rey isn't gonna be another space Jesus like Anakin was in TPM

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

@Christmas Baumer went over this a dozen times, but judging VII for its mysteries without seeing VIII and IX is a little premature... we have no idea who Rey really is for now, or where her powers come from.

This could turn in to a lengthy discussion, so I will just say further episodes have the opportunity to explain Rey's abilities, or keep her growth consistent. If her growth is consistent, she'd be goku, essentially. 

This does not mean that these abilities cannot be problems. 

Just now, CJohn said:

Of course. I can't have holes in my Star Wars collection.

That's why I'm considering getting it the day of release :kitschjob: I don't want to miss out on a good edition and have it absent in my collection. Then again, the TFA steelbook is still available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highever said:

This could turn in to a lengthy discussion, so I will just say further episodes have the opportunity to explain Rey's abilities, or keep her growth consistent. If her growth is consistent, she'd be goku, essentially. 

This does not mean that these abilities cannot be problems. 

I'm not buying it at all, honestly it will be retcon just like muhclorians. Oh ye.. she can do everything and knows everything because.. uhm.. her parents are famous

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I'm not buying it at all, honestly it will be retcon just like muhclorians. Oh ye.. she can do everything and knows everything because.. uhm.. her parents are famous

In my opinion, they have to utilize a mind wipe. ...Questionable storytelling perhaps, but it preserves some Star War canon. 

I hope that they realize her force display is problematic. I know the internal continuity people at Lucasfilm do. We'll see how much of a say they have. I also know JJ Abrams wasn't thinking of continuity when Rey pulled that lightsaber away from a telekinetic expert.... never having performed telekinesis before.