kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Great post and it's both. RO diluted the brand and TFA memory didn't hold that well. I don't think that people were disappointed but they didn't feel like rushing to see the sequel. Just from anecdotal evidence, that TLJ sell outs vs TFA ones seem to confirm, I don't know anyone who has a pre-sold ticket while I knew many people who bought TFA tickets the moment pre-sale opened. So rush factor is lower this time around. 

If rush factor is lower, and the movie will have good WOM, then the legs will be good.

Wow, didn't think anybody could take that serious... That "1B-thing" was just a reaction to those absurd discussions like "20%-drop in Paris numbers is not a good sign for US-OW".

I don't think anybody thinks this will miss a Billion. To be clear, I still think of $1,5B+.

Maybe from now on I should make irony clear (or just do not use it).

5 hours ago, NCsoft said:

so it did less than IT?

Star wars fatigue  already quietly setting in, and we are only 3 films into DisneyLucasfilms  Star Wars. The Han Solo film box office numbers are going to be interesting. Too much Star Wars too soon. Star Wars films should be an event, not annual cash grabs. 

9 minutes ago, Hades said:

Star wars fatigue  already quietly setting in, and we are only 3 films into DisneyLucasfilms  Star Wars. The Han Solo film box office numbers are going to be interesting. Too much Star Wars too soon. Star Wars films should be an event, not annual cash grabs. 

What? You do know that TFA is a once in a lifetime event, right? The excitement for that film is so high because it is the first SW film in a decade. It made $2 billion because of that. No one is expecting TLJ to top TFA. Even if this film grosses $1.4 to $1.5 billion, I wouldn't call it a fatigue. It will still be the highest grossing film of 2017. How can there be a fatigue if you only have 1 SW film per year? There are 6 huge superhero movies this year, yet there is also no sign of superhero fatigue (except for Justice League).

5 minutes ago, Hades said:

Superheroes have variety. Star Wars does not. Its lack of variety won't help it in the long run

I'm sure Disney is crying that they have SW movies that gross billions after billions. And they will cry even more that their future huge movie, Avatar 2, will make another billion. And they will be depressed because their films in 2019 are all billion potentials- Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, Frozen 2, and Star Wars IX.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm sure Disney is crying that they have SW movies that gross billions after billions. And they will cry even more that their future huge movie, Avatar 2, will make another billion. And they will be depressed because their films in 2019 are all billion potentials- Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, Frozen 2, and Star Wars IX.  

No one is saying that since Disney is gonna make a ton of money from this and will continue to do so with the next installments as well. What can be apparent from an underperformance of this though is that Disney may have not reached the maximum out of what they could have based on a number of decisions the took, one of which I always thought would hurt in the long run. I am talking about releasing a SW movie every year which will overexpose the brand and get a bit of the general audience tired. We are gonna see If I am right.

There is not a single possiblity that a SW movie will ever flop in the future but every performance is judged based on the pre-existing potential and If this gets a lot closer to Rogue One than The Force Awakens, that would mean that Disney hasn't exactly done things greatly and they have let a bit of potential slip.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No one is saying that since Disney is gonna make a ton of money from this and will continue to do so with the next installments as well. What can be apparent from an underperformance of this though is that Disney may have not reached the maximum out of what they could have based on a number of decisions the took, one of which I always thought would hurt in the long run. I am talking about releasing a SW movie every year which will overexpose the brand and get a bit of the general audience tired. We are gonna see If I am right.

There is not a single possiblity that a SW movie will ever flop in the future but every performance is judged based on the pre-existing potential and If this gets a lot closer to Rogue One than The Force Awakens, that would mean that Disney hasn't exactly done things greatly and they have let a bit of potential slip.

I think the simplest solution to your SW concern is that Disney should not make a SW stand-alone spin-off every other year (Rogue One 2016, Solo 2018, maybe Obi-Wan 2020). Those are the type of movies that could dilute the brand. They should try to finish this trilogy first, and then proceed with the next spin-off, and then the next trilogy and then spin-off again. In the future, something like this:

2018- Solo

2019- Star Wars IX

2020- no SW film (they should take a break here since they will have Avatar 2 in December if ever that Fox deal goes through)

2021- no SW film (Avatar 3 scheduled in December)

2022- new SW trilogy first movie

2023- SW spin-off

10 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Pretty agree. 4 films in 2 years and half can be too much. Time will tell. Maybe if Disney finally buys Fox they will own so many franchises that they will need to not saturate the market too much in order to not compete with themselves :ph34r:

After initial numbers, I think TLJ will finish closer to RO than to TFA, $1.4b-$1.45b, and with DOM>OS. Being fair, both Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones dropped about a 30% relative to the first parts. Obviously, the quality was not a determinant factor...

1 minute ago, peludo said:

Pretty agree. 4 films in 2 years and half can be too much. Time will tell. Maybe if Disney finally buys Fox they will own so many franchises that they will need to not saturate the market too much in order to not compete with themselves :ph34r:

After initial numbers, I think TLJ will finish closer to RO than to TFA, $1.4b-$1.45b, and with DOM>OS. Being fair, both Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones dropped about a 30% relative to the first parts. Obviously, the quality was not a determinant factor...

I am not rally sure what to think to be honest. We don't have enough data but If anything, what we have is not promising.

I was on the <1.5b side from the beginning but it may end up lower.

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am not rally sure what to think to be honest. We don't have enough data but If anything, what we have is not promising.

I was on the <1.5b side from the beginning but it may end up lower.

If the drop is like Empire Strikes Back, then TLJ will gross $1.435 billion. If the drop is like Attack of the Clones, then TLJ will get to only $1.307 billion.

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

If the drop is like Empire Strikes Back, then TLJ will gross $1.435 billion. If the drop is like Attack of the Clones, then TLJ will get to only $1.307 billion.

I actually think lower number is quite likely, we will know fairly soon