kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, they are part of their WDAS franchises so I didn't want to repeat myself somehow ^^

I'm really curious about how Mary Poppins Returns performs in the box office. I think it will overperform in the UK and in Europe. Not sure about North America, Latin America, and Asia.

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm really curious about how Mary Poppins Returns performs in the box office. I think it will overperform in the UK and in Europe. Not sure about North America, Latin America, and Asia.

No idea, didn't even know a movie was announced lol

It's part of our youth here in Europe so yes we can expect good numbers here.

15 hours ago, ArmGunar said:

To precise, it's just admissions in Paris at 2pm

And that's the :

- 3rd best score for Star Wars

- best opening 2pm Paris of the year

- 11th best of all time

:) 

But it is down 20% from TFA and TLJ will be much more frontloaded, 1B WW in danger :sarah:

(--> Irony - not serious)

Edited by Aristis

26 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

It beat local hero Luc Besson's French comic adaptation very easily. That has to be super embarassing for Luc and France.

Nope, it's not embarrassing for France, we don't care. You're still obsessed about this fillm even months after its release lol

1 hour ago, Aristis said:

But it is down 20% from TFA and TLJ will be much more frontloaded, 1B WW in danger :sarah:

I hope you're not serious or trying to start a flame war :kitschjob:

Edited by Fullbuster

19 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I hope you're not serious or trying to start a flame war :kitschjob:

Rather the second than the first ;)

I'm still hurt - I've a hard time as a DC-Fan so I'm still emotional...

I'm serious if I say that TLJ will become the 4th biggest movie of all time WW :sparta:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aristis said:

Fun fact, I think it could be less frontloaded in France than TFA because TLJ's first week has 0 days of vacation whereas TFA had 2

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Cuz a french comic adaptation directed by a french director got trounced by an american sci-fi franchise that is in its 9th movie and took A LOT of inspiration from Valerian comics. How does it feel that American trounces France yet again...

What does that have to do with anything?

Movies aren't a sports-competition, nor are they representing countries (beyond maybe at the Oscar for best foreign movie), people have zero reason to pick one movie as theirs or feel threatened if a foreign movie does better than a domestic one. There simply is no "national" connection at all. If anything, people would probably root for the movie they like the most, which is completely independent from where it is coming from. Now, movies from the own country are more likely to be specifically aimed at the audience in that country, but that doesn't mean that any movie from said country must automatically be more liked than one from the most famous brands in the world.

That doesn't even take up on the idea that the vast majority of people couldn't care less about how much money a movie is making or how well it is perceived. People generally don't gain anything by their favourite movies making tons of money, they only care about liking the movie. The only ones who really care about the box office are those very few who follow it closely, and even from those there is only a tiny sub-group that gets up in arms about what a specific movie makes, mostly hardcore fans who couldn't accept a single bad word or fact about their movie. And that is truly a miniscule group of people among the entire audience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There's literally 0.0000000000000000000001% chance that TLJ misses 1B WW. Even if its DOM is bigger - hell, even if it dwarfs - its OS.

Yeah, does anyone legit believe this is missing 400m OS? Probably making a minimum of 600m DOM, so that's what it has to be to miss 1b. I could see something like 1.2b though.

Edited by Reyhawk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There's literally 0.0000000000000000000001% chance that TLJ misses 1B WW. Even if its DOM is bigger - hell, even if it dwarfs - its OS.

Nobody is considering the possibility that TLJ misses $1b - that's absurd.

Aristis was just trying to start a circlejerk because he seemingly didn't like the fact that someone was saying negative things about the film's 20% drop in France.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Nobody is considering the possibility that TLJ misses $1b - that's absurd.

Aristis was just trying to start a circlejerk because he seemingly didn't like the fact that someone was saying negative things about the film's 20% drop in France.

No he wasn't. Stop pretending that you know why other people are writing things...

18 minutes ago, Reyhawk said:

Yeah, does anyone legit believe this is missing 400m OS? Probably making a minimum of 600m DOM, so that's what it has to be to miss 1b. I could see something like 1.2b though.

Hell, Rogue One made 523M OS. TLJ is 100% not dropping from THAT. I don't see any less than 600M OS, give or take a potential range from 700-800M.

Combined with a 650-750M DOM take, I think it could go anywhere from 1.2 to 1.55B. Probably gonna end in the top 10 biggest films ever WW, with a good shot at the #5 spot behind Avatar, Titanic, TFA and Jurassic World.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

7 hours ago, James said:

It's a sequel. It won't be less frontloaded. The other way around.

But that aside, I just checked presales here for the first time. Not even Thursday night IMAX shows are sold out. That is disappointing considering TFA had the third best OW ever in admissions. RO had an ugly drop but I expected this to look better. Anyway, that makes me think one of two things is happening: either TFA disappointed a lot of people and WOM wasn't as great as it first seemed, or RO diluted the brand. People outside of US have a harder time differentiating between the main series and the spin-offs. Disney's approach is good short term, but I am not sure a movie a year is the best idea. But then again, most movies will likely make 1B WW, so that is that.    

Great post and it's both. RO diluted the brand and TFA memory didn't hold that well. I don't think that people were disappointed but they didn't feel like rushing to see the sequel. Just from anecdotal evidence, that TLJ sell outs vs TFA ones seem to confirm, I don't know anyone who has a pre-sold ticket while I knew many people who bought TFA tickets the moment pre-sale opened. So rush factor is lower this time around. 

• Like 1