John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Disney's marketing team is excellent, second to no one.

Illumination's marketing team is genius!  They're actually trying to be creative with their marketing and are marketing movies like how you would promote a new album or singer.  Disney does the BARE MINIMUM and hope their brand will carry the film to success.  I love WDAS and Pixar but hate the Disney company itself. 

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

In dom it is probably one of the best (WB also an excellent one I think), in OS... depends probably on the country, but in my POV = no, a lot of bad decisions and mistakes in a lot of  countries (in my POV = the majority of all OS countries, if including also the small ones).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Warner Bros is better.

Universal is probably second after that. 

Disney can't market films outside of fantasy or SW/Marvel which basically sells themselves. 

Edited by babz06

3 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

It's possible, but the different between the two is probably going to be under $20m either way. 

We shall see. If SLOP didn't exist I would think that Sing will easily do 300m but it seems to me that it is kinda overdone with animation this year and you can't expect anything to become huge..I mean poor parents they must have given a bunch of money with all those successful animations :P lol

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Not only for Moana in OS.

Did you happen to have read about hat the did in China for SW R1's Chinese title?

It seems they made a kind of big translation mistake that not inly gives a wrong impression, but sounds negatively for Chinese 'ears' if I understand the comments in the SW R1 OS thread correctly. :bash:

That's a silly mistake and might cost them a few millions. Kinda unexpected from Disney, although the entire marketing push for RO kinda feels a few steps below TFA (both quality and quantity wise)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

lDisney does the BARE MINIMUM and hope their brand will carry the film to success.  I love WDAS and Pixar but hate the Disney company itself. 

I understand you might be frustrated with MOANA's performance but this isn't true at all. Disney is known -- and admired -- for their ability to market all sorts of franchises, and their ability to cross-promote within all companies in the Disney corporate umbrella is unparalleled. Sometimes a movie's performance just comes down to the movie and the audience. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Anyone thinking less than 85 for the 4day is blatantly ignoring how this holiday pattern breaks out. Particularly since the Sunday -Monday two punch will be over 50m themselves. 

It will do around that if it follows King Kong. How do we know a film grossing like 3x as much would be guaranteed to have as good of holds though, even if WOM is great? I'm going with 75-80. 

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think we are overdoing it a bit. It's a kid's film and the biggest element is always humour...I have yet to see a film  I enjoyed as a child that isn't rotten :P .

I guess, but I am an avid animation fan and am always looking for ways studios push the genre forward and away from the stigma that surrounds animation, "Animation is for kids and for kids only."  When you look at other parts of the world, animation is seen on equal footing with live-action and countries like Japan have consistently awarded Best Picture to animation.  Here in the West, animation has taken on a very different slogan and films like Sing even though its "good," only reinforces that statement.  Even Moana to a degree with its trailers (and it's first act and a little bit of its conclusion) which many said was the reason why they didn't watch it, "Too kiddy." 

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I understand you might be frustrated with MOANA's performance but this isn't true at all. Disney is known -- and admired -- for their ability to market all sorts of franchises, and their ability to cross-promote within all companies in the Disney corporate umbrella is unparalleled. Sometimes a movie's performance just comes down to the movie and the audience. 

They market SOME of their films very well, the ones they know will bring in the big bucks.  As for their other films... they either don't know HOW to market the film or fail miserably.  As for Moana, it's not the film AT ALL.  It's posting GREAT LEGS after a mild to abysmal opening weekend and in countries such as France, it's even rivaling Frozen in admissions.  The UK and other countries where it has already opened have all complained about having zero to no marketing at all.  Thankfully they stepped up their marketing but the damage has already been done. 

• Like 1