John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh.

Well, that's a weird-ass parameter you have there. Why not include Tuesday as well?

Because Monday is included as part of the holiday weekend due to Christmas dropping on a Sunday.

The Wednesday opening that some films get is because Saturday's business is going to be bad, relative to the rest of the days. W-Th aren't part of the weekend, but they do contribute to the 6-day opening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh.

Well, that's a weird-ass parameter you have there. Why not include Tuesday as well?

Since Christmas is on Sunday, people get Monday off and it's acts like a 4 day weekend. In this pattern Monday is the biggest of the 4 days.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

I guess, but I am an avid animation fan and am always looking for ways studios push the genre forward and away from the stigma that surrounds animation, "Animation is for kids and for kids only."  When you look at other parts of the world, animation is seen on equal footing with live-action and countries like Japan have consistently awarded Best Picture to animation.  Here in the West, animation has taken on a very different slogan and films like Sing even though its "good," only reinforces that statement.  Even Moana to a degree with its trailers (and it's first act and a little bit of its conclusion) which many said was the reason why they didn't watch it, "Too kiddy." 

I get what you mean. For me though it's  different. I don't know if I am becoming old but I don't enjoy even the aclaimed animations... For example, I wasn't impressed by Zootopia at all. I think that animation should start experimenting with new concepts and not stick to the same messages forever likee the typical "Be different" statement. We need more animation films like Kubo or Inside Out. Adults are not so much driven by humour as childs so they need intresting plots to get intrested ..

Just now, CelestialFairyIX said:

They market SOME of their films very well, the ones they know will bring in the big bucks.  As for their other films... they either don't know HOW to market the film or fail miserably.

I'm sorry, you don't sound like you're taking an objective approach to this at all. 

Have you maybe considered that a movie about a Pacific Islander princess -- including Polynesian mythological elements that may not be as recognizable or as familiar to those well outside the region -- simply might not have as basic an appeal as a silly movie about cute singing animals filled with pop tunes?

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I understand you might be frustrated with MOANA's performance but this isn't true at all. Disney is known -- and admired -- for their ability to market all sorts of franchises, and their ability to cross-promote within all companies in the Disney corporate umbrella is unparalleled. Sometimes a movie's performance just comes down to the movie and the audience. 

We should also remember that just because Moana isn't doing Frozen numbers doesn't mean it isn't a large success for Disney.  They had three large tentpoles to market in 2 months, and all of them are successes.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'm sorry, you don't sound like you're taking an objective approach to this at all. 

Have you maybe considered that a movie about a Pacific Islander princess -- including Polynesian mythological elements that may not be as recognizable or as familiar to those well outside the region -- simply might not have as basic an appeal as a silly movie about cute singing animals filled with pop tunes?

People forget DS, Moana and RO were released within 2 months. All 3 will make 230M+ domestic and near 600M+ WW, pretty fucking successful in my book.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

In dom it is probably one of the best (WB also an excellent one I think), in OS... depends probably on the country, but in my POV = no, a lot of bad decisions and mistakes in a lot of  countries (in my POV = the majority of all OS countries, if including also the small ones).

At least in the Spanish market, Moana's Vaiana's marketing was terrible. I legit didn't learn about the title change the same week the film came out, and marketing was extremely low-key, which aggravated the brand confusion further, since the film had still been called "Moana" in some materials earlier in the marketing cycle. And this is a market were animated films tend to perform really well, so no reason for a muted release. Now there's a decent chance that it will finish behind Trolls.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, druv10 said:

RO pattern until Monday

5-10% increase today

40-45% increase Friday

40% drop Christmas eve

110%+ increase Christmas day

10%+ on Monday

90M+ should happen for the 4 days.

I dont think its jumping 100% on Christmas Day. And Monday is way too low also

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I concede to defeat.  I apologize for my diatribe concerning Disney and not being able to be objective at all.  I guess sometimes things just don't work out the way they should and you just gotta own up to it and say that sometimes mediocrity will win. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I get what you mean. For me though it's  different. I don't know if I am becoming old but I don't enjoy even the aclaimed animations... For example, I wasn't impressed by Zootopia at all. I think that animation should start experimenting with new concepts and not stick to the same messages forever likee the typical "Be different" statement. We need more animation films like Kubo or Inside Out. Adults are not so much driven by humour as childs so they need intresting plots to get intrested ..

As if Inside Out and Kubo didn't have lots of humor...

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I till think people shouldn't look too much at Sherlock Holmes in terms of increases. The higher the numbers, the lower the increases. That's how it is. 
I wouldn't be surprised by a sub 100% jump on Christmas Day. 

I think it's more of a guideline rather than a rule. I don't expect a perfect match as well, so I'm going on the lower end multiplier wise. Probably around 88 mil for me 

13 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

We should also remember that just because Moana isn't doing Frozen numbers doesn't mean it isn't a large success for Disney.  They had three large tentpoles to market in 2 months, and all of them are successes.

That's true: between Doctor Strange, Moana, and Rogue One alone, Disney will rake in around $1 billion domestically... 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Just as a compare and contrast:

The BFG$55,483,770

Moana$170,457,987 (and counting)

With the way Tele put it, Moana's success is all the better.

(Also didn't help that it appeared to me that Disney either never could get a handle on how to market The BFG, or it just turned out that audiences really really weren't interested in it seeing it at the theater as a first-run movie)

But no studio, not even Disney, is perfect when it comes to marketing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I think he/she is meaning it more in the ww way (as in mostly about OS). Plus the ... fandom comes through a bit I think.

If reading through the threads per country there is repeatedly to read: 'literally no marketing'... at least it does often not reach the people.

Not only about Moana, SW R1,... the same last year,...

OS - example Germany:

Spoiler

E.g. I literally tried to find advertising for SW R1 here in Germany outside the cinemas (and outside YT). First in trying to let it find me, then in asking others, incl. phoning around, as this is exactly what I am interested in too - marketing, and the impact of it.

Nothing. My son, people I know,.. we both asked around.

The film is now nearly 1 week in the cinemas, and I still find people here who do not even know it is already released (here always Thursday)

In my circle of friends they knew at least it as coming per trailers earlier in the year in cinemas as we all go to the cinemas, even if less than in the past.

Some of those who go for now only very seldom only know only because I told them = it does not reach the people interested in in e.g. SW in a more non-fandom, generally interest way - in the possible amount.

I know about other Disney films, that they did commercials at certain stations / times,... but again didn't reach all ages or other groups, as people here often do not watch certain stations for quality reasons or,...

In case of SW = it skews older, so how will it reach the older audience, if the advertising is during the early afternoon in children's stations with not that good a reputation? (where I am expecting to learn per my pupils it might have been aired)

When I am back at work I will ask the pupils I know watching those stations, if there was advertising.