John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

39 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Here it is still Vaiana - the paradise has a hook 

I learned that younger people often look at especially YT for cinema news for them-self, with both names in use the name changing didn't help I think, but only to a degree, I think again?

Interesting point.

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

In Germany e.g. Disney's people are... known to be hard to negotiate with as cinema owners

They have that reputation here as well. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, straggler said:

It really never has. Heck during the hpeak of the Stallone/Arnold box office wars you had Rhinestone, Cobra, Running Man, etc. At the end of the day this had a blacklist script, a seemingly very talented director, and a major co-star. It just happens.  

Cobra and Running Man both opened well though, they just weren't greatly received.

Quality often has to do with how a film performs sure, but these days it's largely about the opening weekend. It was much different in the 80's. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

29 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

MovieMan you can't just handpick the worst days from King Kong's run and say Rogue One will perform like that, and then completely ignore the other days and say the end multiplier will suck.

If Rogue One follows King Kong it's gonna end up with a 4.36 multiplier. Of course I don't think it will reach a 4.36 multiplier, but if you select one particular week-end, or a set of weekdays, where King Kong underperformed for some reason, apply that to Rogue One, and then proceed to ignore the rest of the run...

it just doesn't work that way :ph34r:

Plus, you know, the whole King Kong is 11 years old so maybe its daily patterns don't apply to a 2016 movie anymore... kinda thing :qotd:

On that subject, I also recall last year lots of people (myself included) falling into the trap of comparing TFA dailies with LOTR dailies. :ph34r: LOTR is just too old, movies perform differently now. 

Yes, but by "differently" that tends to mean worse. You don't think of movies holding better now than they did 10 years ago. 

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Cobra and Running Man both opened well though, they just weren't greatly received.

That post was a disease and I'm the cure.

I live to see you eat that post, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!!!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Zelda has so much potential as a film, Nintendo will never likely allow it to happen (for obvious reasons), and they'll probably screw-it-up anyway. 

As much of a fan as I am of the series, I don't think there is any chance it would work at all.

3 hours ago, straggler said:

It really never has. Heck during the hpeak of the Stallone/Arnold box office wars you had Rhinestone, Cobra, Running Man, etc. At the end of the day this had a blacklist script, a seemingly very talented director, and a major co-star. It just happens.  

I'm such a sucker for a great conversation aren't I?

Now here's your subzero Dar, don't be so plain zero (I'm trying with my references here). 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rallax said:

As much of a fan as I am of the series, I don't think there is any chance it would work at all.

I think like anything fantasy related, I think they as long as they get the right people, it could work fine. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a Zelda TV series anyway. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

MovieMan you can't just handpick the worst days from King Kong's run and say Rogue One will perform like that, and then completely ignore the other days and say the end multiplier will suck.

If Rogue One follows King Kong it's gonna end up with a 4.36 multiplier. Of course I don't think it will reach a 4.36 multiplier, but if you select one particular week-end, or a set of weekdays, where King Kong underperformed for some reason, apply that to Rogue One, and then proceed to ignore the rest of the run...

it just doesn't work that way :ph34r:

Plus, you know, the whole King Kong is 11 years old so maybe its daily patterns don't apply to a 2016 movie anymore... kinda thing :qotd:

On that subject, I also recall last year lots of people (myself included) falling into the trap of comparing TFA dailies with LOTR dailies. :ph34r: LOTR is just too old, movies perform differently now. 

King Kong opened on a Wednesday. Weekend multiplier is bogus for non-Friday openers.

I usually take the average of the 5-day opening with the weekend number to get an idea of the likely Friday opening. In this case that would be a $58m weekend and a 3.75 multiplier. Difficult but not impossible for Rogue One. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I confess I'm much less familiar with how Disney movies are marketed overseas... but I guess I should include the caveat that I'm also not 100% that Disney itself does all the OS marketing. There may be some variation from territory to territory -- if anyone knows I could use the clarification. 

I know quite well how they act on the consumer products market: never force the new products (because they have many and sometimes simultaneously), they observed the reactions of consumers; when there is something that works, they become a perfect war machine. Then, when the marketing is lightweight, it is very, very likely that the reason is that the product (movie, TV serie or whatever you want) is (commercially) lightweight.