FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

1 minute ago, alisson23 said:

FOREIGN TOTAL

1 3   $47,100,000  -65.1%  54  -  $872,222  $237,400,000   2
Dec 23–25 1 $64,377,000
(Estimate)
-58.5% 4,157 - $15,486 $286,375,674
(Estimate)

And here we go again:

1. in OS at Christmas there are countries, that close - by custom and/or law - the cinemas down during Christmas. Starting 24 December midday to early afternoon, or early evening, depends,...

Some open late in 25 December, some ... you'll get (hopefully) the drift.

What is especially hurtful for BO, if Christmas falls on a weekend, as Saturday is the most important cinema day there usually too.

2. Christmas is in a lot of countries NOT the time, people and especially families even go to the cinemas

3. to a degree that counts also for the US (not the law part) always, and the Christmas 'falling' on the weekend impacts extremer than the usual Christmas drop

4. it is not, what I'd call a 24./25. December film, if I would be inclined to go to the cinema at those days (and if in my region would be even one open). But I will watch it next week in English, my (adult) son and his friends will meet after they have finished all the Christmas family visits to watch it (means here earliest Wednesday evening)... And yes, also adult 'children' still visit family at Christmas.

Out of my head, 2011, 2005, 1994, 1988, were the years with the same constellation, the earlier ones I forgot. 2000 was a 29 February year,... hence the longer break.

Please read up e.g. here in this thread, at other places, including articles,... nearly everywhere this was already pointed out. Here even repeatedly, but the thread is a bit long, so...  :)

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

FOREIGN TOTAL

1 3 $47,100,000 -65.1% 54 - $872,222 $237,400,000 2

Dec 23–25 1 $64,377,000
(Estimate)
-58.5% 4,157 - $15,486 $286,375,674
(Estimate)

First of all, I was referring to the North American market, which is still far and away the most important in the world, the most stable (allowing for comparisons across time) and the one which returns the highest % of the total gross back to the studio. (China returns only 25% to the studios, far and away the lowest in the world) 

Second, I refrain from making any comment about OS-BO since Xmas has literally destroyed most markets. Here in the UK (a massive Star Wars market) not a single theater was open on Xmas. Zero, nada, zilch. 

Third, I am sure that Rogue One will outperform The Force Awakens in China (and possibly other big East Asian markets) thanks to Donnie Yen and his friend. This will bump the international total for Rogue One. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Lol at "mediocre".

Youare right; she is below average (more than mediocre). 

Not that you fanatics who worship at the altar of Lawrence would believe that she is anything but the second coming of Bette Davis/Katherine Hepburn/Meryl Streep. *facepalm**

Fortunately, having yet another critical and commercial flop in her resume will convince the industry that she is nothing out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

There's not really much to imagine? In a vacuum, the number looks decidedly average, paired with the context of Christmas, the numbers (more so domestically than overseas) are more than fine. Going to finish with at least a 3.3x multiplier.

tumblr_lj0z25rDld1qgzesn.gif 

A 3.3x multipler in december is not hard to do.

OK, I can see why Moana fans are lamenting its boxoffice. It's doing absolutely terrible overseas. Disney's "most progressive animated movie" is not connecting with those audiences and it looks like it opened everywhere save Japan. Yikes. Brave, another kick-ass chick animated flick, didn't set foreign boxoffice on fire either, 303M OS total is hardly impressive these days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beals said:

Youare right; she is below average (more than mediocre). 

Not that you fanatics who worship at the altar of Lawrence would believe that she is anything but the second coming of Bette Davis/Katherine Hepburn/Meryl Streep. *facepalm**

Fortunately, having yet another critical and commercial flop in her resume will convince the industry that she is nothing out of the ordinary.

How do you explain that most of critics, industry people and audiences love her (and her acting) if she is below average?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

First of all, I was referring to the North American market, which is still far and away the most important in the world, the most stable (allowing for comparisons across time) and the one which returns the highest % of the total gross back to the studio. (China returns only 25% to the studios, far and away the lowest in the world) 

Second, I refrain from making any comment about OS-BO since Xmas has literally destroyed most markets. Here in the UK (a massive Star Wars market) not a single theater was open on Xmas. Zero, nada, zilch. 

Third, I am sure that Rogue One will outperform The Force Awakens in China (and possibly other big East Asian markets) thanks to Donnie Yen and his friend. This will bump the international total for Rogue One. 

According to the experts in the China forum, don't bet on it - especially since Yen is in Deisel's  XXX -  that opens two weeks later

Pre-sales are also slow in SK.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

tumblr_lj0z25rDld1qgzesn.gif 

A 3.3x multipler in december is not hard to do.

I said at least, and when you open to over 150m, it does up the level of difficulty of achieving.

Regardless, I'm not sure what you're going for here. Nothing here really indicates a bad number, especially when your Saturday falls on a deflated business day (partially offset by Sunday in the States). WOM seems decent at worst, and probably pretty good in the US. Overseas, we'll get a better idea over the next week or so.

Thoughts on the film aside, outside of a lower overseas share than expected (part exchange rate, part lack of strength of Star Wars brand compared to select other franchises WW), seems like a reach to find much significant negatives with the performance.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Pretty solid performance from Rogue One. It's definitely not the pop culture milestone that The Force Awakens was last year, so pulling in nearly $100 million over the four-day weekend after burning off so much demand already is quite impressive.

Sing is off to a terrific start, and it will clean up between now and next Monday.

Passengers is putting up predictably ho-hum business, although $30 million in six days isn't terrible in light of the combination of weak reviews and Rogue One's big performance. I'm sure that news outlets will be quick to lay the blame on the stars, but the hit that its buzz took from the weak reviews that was more responsible for hampering it.

Why Him? did okay. I think there was more potential with the concept and stars on hand, but the trailers looked thoroughly mediocre and the reviews weren't kind.

Assassin's Creed had a poor opening, as expected. I'm kinda baffled as to how so much talent got involved with it in the first place.

Fences is doing well for a serious drama. Awards buzz should carry it through a solid run.

I'm a bit bummed that Moana isn't making more money, but a soft performance was inevitable with Sing's strength factored in. On the bright side, it does still have what should be a very good week coming up.

La La Land is off to a fabulous start in its latest expansion.

Hidden Figures did really well in its limited debut. I really didn't expect it to be in line to break out, but it's certainly setting itself up for a terrific run once it enters wide release.

Live by Night got off to a very weak start yesterday, but the writing was on the wall in the face of surprisingly tepid reviews. It always looked like more of a commercial play anyway, so theoretically it's not yet completely screwed for its wide launch in January.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

And here we go again:

1. in OS at Christmas there are countries, that close - by custom and/or law - the cinemas down during Christmas. Starting 24 December midday to early afternoon, or early evening, depends,...

Some open late in 25 December, some ... you'll get (hopefully) the drift.

What is especially hurtful for BO, if Christmas falls on a weekend, as Saturday is the most important cinema day there usually too.

2. Christmas is in a lot of countries NOT the time, people and especially families even go to the cinemas

3. to a degree that counts also for the US (not the law part) always, and the Christmas 'falling' on the weekend impacts extremer than the usual Christmas drop

4. it is not, what I'd call a 24./25. December film, if I would be inclined to go to the cinema at those days (and if in my region would be even one open). But I will watch it next week in English, my (adult) son and his friends will meet after they have finished all the Christmas family visits to watch it (means here earliest Wednesday evening)... And yes, also adult 'children' still visit family at Christmas.

Out of my head, 2011, 2005, 1994, 1988, were the years with the same constellation, the earlier ones I forgot. 2000 was a 29 February year,... hence the longer break.

Please read up e.g. here in this thread, at other places, including articles,... nearly everywhere this was already pointed out. Here even repeatedly, but the thread is a bit long, so...  :)

"There are countries..." Names, pliz.
btw... Cut should be bigger than 46.6% with this (losing screens and the Christmas 'falling' on the weekend)

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Domestic Total as of Dec. 26, 2016: $215,770,251 (Estimate)
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: November 18, 2016
Genre: Fantasy Runtime: 2 hrs. 20 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $180 million

Weekend
(click for breakdown)
Weekend
Gross
Territories
Tracked*
Nov. 18–20 n/a 33
Nov. 25–27 n/a 37
Dec. 2–4 n/a 38
Dec. 9–11 n/a 33
Dec. 16–18 n/a 35
Dec. 23–25 n/a 3
DECEMBER 23–25, 2016
Note: The number of days and dates in a weekend may vary by country.
The above dates reflect the standard Fri–Sun weekend.

Country
(click to view chart)
Rank Days in
Wknd
Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Screens/
Theaters
Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
FOREIGN TOTAL 4 3 $8,000,000 -46.7% 62 -4 $129,032 $528,800,000 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Might bee a problem based e.g. on a translation mistake of Disney's people (title) and people having seen it there in screenings reacted not so good on e.g. that (it was seemingly misleading)

plus the release date there (in a way governmentally 'given'), which titles will now - surprise - get around that date also a release,... changed. And,...

= not my opinion, only pointing out there might be reasons for other results.

general:

for the newer members (or guests) interested into China... best visit the China forum here at BOT and read in their release date thread (short info posts) or general discussion thread, there are also explanations and discussions to find. Very interesting IMHO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Assassin's Creed had a poor opening, as expected. I'm kinda baffled as to how so much talent got involved with it in the first place.

Pretty sure I hear that every time a video game movie opens and is DOA. Get out of Tomb Raider while/if you still can, Alicia Vikander.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

OK, I can see why Moana fans are lamenting its boxoffice. It's doing absolutely terrible overseas. Disney's "most progressive animated movie" is not connecting with those audiences and it looks like it opened everywhere save Japan. Yikes. Brave, another kick-ass chick animated flick, didn't set foreign boxoffice on fire either, 303M OS total is hardly impressive these days.

Major markets left are Brazil, South Korea, and Japan.

• Like 2