FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Why would pay 18 dollars to watch an adult drama when they an watch it on Netflix for nothing.

Exactly. Most of the general audience would rather watch Civil War and Rogue One in theaters and catch stuff like La La Land and Jackie once its hit Redbox.

Edited by Rman823

13 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think understandable to say that it's in fairly bad shape. I'm barely over 30 but I've never been more underwhelmed by cinema than I am at the moment. On a storytelling level, film doesn't give me anything TV can't now do, and often much better. The death-rattle of the mid-budget, adult-oriented movie is a real shame. Pop culture now expects us to be excited for things that used to be aimed at teenagers.  

(EDIT: I know that all comes across as 'old man yells at cloud', but I assure you it's not said with any relish.)

That's fair. I just hear cinema is dying all the time, and quite frankly, it gets tiring. I've seen tons of good stuff this year, some blockbusters, but mostly smaller films. It is a shame that the mid-budget adult-oriented movie is almost dead. But to connect two of your points together, TV has taken that niche over quite well.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

http://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-sing-20th-century-women-passengers-wednesday-box-office-1201876732/

Based on early estimates from matinees today, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is on its way to becoming the year’s second highest-grossing film for Disney and Lucasfilm, on track to gross anywhere from $16.7 million- $18 million today and perhaps $46.7M-$50M for the weekend

Today, Lionsgate ups La La Land‘s theaters from 205 to 750 and estimates are anywhere between $8M and $9.3M for the three-day and $12M+ for the four-day (probably just rehashing expectations)

Did this get posted and I missed it?

Edited by MattW

3 minutes ago, MattW said:

http://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-sing-20th-century-women-passengers-wednesday-box-office-1201876732/

Based on early estimates from matinees today, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is on its way to becoming the year’s second highest-grossing film for Disney and Lucasfilm, on track to gross anywhere from $16.7 million- $18 million today and perhaps $46.7M-$50M for the weekend

Today, Lionsgate ups La La Land‘s theaters from 205 to 750 and estimates are anywhere between $8M and $9.3M for the three-day and $12M+ for the four-day (probably just rehashing expectations)

Rogue One is not staying flat today

The absolute worst case scenario is an Alvin Chipmunk increase (worst of 2011), 8%, and that puts Rogue One at 18M

But with R1's word of mouth... I just don't see that happening.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MattW said:

Would be shockingly low. Not buying it.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MattW said:

Hmm, I would have expected much more than that for Rogue One. I was thinking a little over $20M for today on the way to a $56M-$58M 3-day weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Rogue One is not staying flat today

The absolute worst case scenario is an Alvin Chipmunk increase (worst of 2011), 8%, and that puts Rogue One at 18M

But with R1's word of mouth... I just don't see that happening.

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Would be shockingly low. Not buying it.

Phew. Glad I'm not the only one.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RichWS said:

The "death of cinema" is due to platform releases? 

30 years ago every release, down to the most hyped sequel, was a platform release. Funny how that works.

Now, there's a wider argument to be made that with so many competing entertainment available at home (TV, videogames, streaming), Hollywood is competing through spectacle, in order to exploit the natural advantages of the theatrical presentation. This is pushing smaller films towards home entertainment (TV, streaming). I personally don't mind it, as long as these stories keep getting made. And so far it seems they will keep getting made, even if they won't top the theatrical BO lists anymore, and people end up consuming these stories at home. We'll see in the next years, but I'm not quite ready to call for the "death of cinema" yet, unless one has a very narrow definition of what "cinema" is.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

- snip -

I don't do the prediction games, not even for myself, privately or...

If I look into numbers early, I usually try to figure out the lowest possible, if all would go wrong, then only in very basic numbers.

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Mads was wasted?

He had some of the most powerful scenes. :kitschjob:

If an actor isn't on screen for at least 50%of the scenes, their presence is a waste. 

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross? Total waste. Ned Beatty in Network? Crap use of an actor. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

If the presence of Donnie Yen & the other Chinese actor cannot lift Rogue One in China, then Disney should reconsider its casting choices going forward. Star Wars makes money in North America and Europe, act accordingly. 

Huh? Donnie Yen was badass and practically stole the show in his scenes in Rogue One. 

• Like 1