terrestrial

Wednesday 4 Jan SW R1 4.237 | Sing 3.61 | Pass. 1.747 | LLL 1.437 | Moana 1.39 | WhyHim? 1.377 | Ass.Creed .966 | Fences .948 | FB .505

34 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Any reports on whether or not it'll still be able to show film?  Be a shame if another IMAX film location went away.

According to an Instagram post they are sending it back to IMAX in Canada.  

Apparently Melbourne IMAX still have there film projector and are considering re-installing it for Dunkirk.

https://www.imaxmelbourne.com.au/movie/dunkirk_the_imax_experience

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Well well well...you know what you have to do in July. :P

The release of John Carter coincided with a family wedding in Melbourne so I went to see it at Melbourne IMAX.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I liked your post more for the first part I must say, because the second part is a bit too "hatey" for me.

I mean, obviously they poured a lot of work into Moonlight, it's just not something you enjoy that's all! No need to bash the movie!

Every movie takes work, but when I have to see some of the gross scenes from that movie yeah it deserves it.

5 hours ago, Finnick said:

'' THEATER COUNT 01/06-08/2017''

Big drop for FB theater count this week. Not good!!!

Rank LW Title Distributor Theater
Count
Change % Change Est.
Screens
Change Est.
Shows
Change Week #
> NEW RELEASES
3 - Underworld: Blood Wars Sony / Screen Gems 3,065 - - - - - - 1
> EXPANDING
7 38 Hidden Figures Fox 2,471 +2,446 +9,784.0% - - - - 3
8 9 Fences Paramount 2,368 +67 +2.9% - - - - 4
9 55 A Monster Calls Focus Features 1,523 +1,519 +37,975.0% - - - - 3
10 12 La La Land Lionsgate/Summit 1,500+ +750 +100.0% - - - - 5
15 14 Lion Weinstein Company 600 +75 +14.3% - - - - 7
27 57 Silence (2016) Paramount 51 +47 +1,175.0% - - - - 3
29 36 Elle Sony Classics 36 +1 +2.9% - - - - 9
30 48 Julieta Sony Classics 17 +10 +142.9% - - - - 3
31 56 Paterson Bleecker Street 7 +3 +75.0% - - - - 2
> NO CHANGE
1 1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Buena Vista 4,157 - - - - - - 4
32 54 Live By Night Warner Bros. 4 - - - - - - 3
33 64 Toni Erdmann Sony Classics 3 - - - - - - 3
> DECLINING
2 2 Sing Universal 3,952 -77 -1.9% - - - - 3
4 4 Why Him? Fox 2,904 -104 -3.5% - - - - 3
5 5 Assassin's Creed Fox 2,642 -354 -11.8% - - - - 3
6 6 Moana Buena Vista 2,549 -226 -8.1% - - - - 7
11 7 Collateral Beauty Warner Bros. (New Line) 1,402 -1,343 -48.9% - - - - 4
12 10 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them Warner Bros. 1,188 -654 -35.5% - - - - 8
13 11 Manchester by the Sea Roadside Attractions 1,054 -152 -12.6% - - - - 8
14 8 Office Christmas Party Paramount 953 -1,394 -59.4% - - - - 5
16 13 Arrival Paramount 381 -164 -30.1% - - - - 9
17 17 Jackie Fox Searchlight 353 -6 -1.7% - - - - 6
18 16 Trolls Fox 332 -86 -20.6% - - - - 10
19 15 Doctor Strange Buena Vista 263 -203 -43.6% - - - - 10
20 21 The Accountant Warner Bros. 181 -41 -18.5% - - - - 13
21 20 Storks Warner Bros. 152 -83 -35.3% - - - - 16
22 23 Allied Paramount 121 -42 -25.8% - - - - 7
23 26 Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Paramount 113 -20 -15.0% - - - - 12
24 29 The Eagle Huntress Sony Classics 94 -19 -16.8% - - - - 10
25 24 Nocturnal Animals Focus Features 73 -85 -53.8% - - - - 8
26 33 Loving Focus Features 65 -16 -19.8% - - - - 10
28 31 Sully Warner Bros. 38 -56 -59.6% - - - - 18

No Passengers info.

==

OK, it's dropping 78 theaters.  I guess that's ok.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2017&wk=01&sort=theaters&order=ASC&p=.htm

Edited by trifle

7 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I hated Moonlight so whoever said overrated yeah, may be the most overrated movie of all time considering its meta score. It was absolutely awful, zero star trash. I guess if you make a movie about a gay black man growing up in the ghetto with a crack whore mother it's automatically every critics top choice? It was just deplorable all around and really no character development. I even liked Manchester better - at least it had funny lines amidst the tedious boredom.

This is an awful post. Zero star? So you saw absolutely nothing commendable in any of the performances, direction, writing, score, cinematography or editing? Not one thing? I find that impossible. 

There are plenty of movies about gay people, about black people growing up poor, about drug addictions that don't get even one hundredth of the acclaim that Moonlight has gotten. None of that has anything to do with it and you will see that if you bothered to read the reviews from the critics on why they liked it. They love it because it's an incredibly well made and well put together movie.

No character development is also factually untrue. Juan goes from being a drug dealer with few cares in the world to second guessing his career choice after getting to know Chiron and feeling empathy for the situation with his mother. Paula goes from being completely addicted to drugs and thinking about nothing else to putting herself through rehabilitation treatment. Kevin goes from caring what people think about his masculinity and sexuality to the point that he is abusive to someone that he loves to learning to be true to himself without having to consider whether he is coming across as macho, tough or straight. Chiron initially regresses and hides his sensitive personality by buffing up and getting involved with drugs himself and then at the end allows Kevin to teach him that it's okay to be true to himself once more and accept affection, emotion and love.

I also thought Moonlight had a fair few funny lines considering the subject matter.

It's whatever if it's not your kind of movie, or even if you think it's overrated. But calling it awful, deplorable and trash is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 11

See SW R1 and other actual films in OS discussions:

2016 Intl Box Office Sees Projected 3.7% Drop Amid Currency Shifts & China Dips – Studio Chart

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fnitte said:

This is an awful post. Zero star? So you saw absolutely nothing commendable in any of the performances, direction, writing, score, cinematography or editing? Not one thing? I find that impossible. 

There are plenty of movies about gay people, about black people growing up poor, about drug addictions that don't get even one hundredth of the acclaim that Moonlight has gotten. None of that has anything to do with it and you will see that if you bothered to read the reviews from the critics on why they liked it. They love it because it's an incredibly well made and well put together movie.

No character development is also factually untrue. Juan goes from being a drug dealer with few cares in the world to second guessing his career choice after getting to know Chiron and feeling empathy for the situation with his mother. Paula goes from being completely addicted to drugs and thinking about nothing else to putting herself through rehabilitation treatment. Kevin goes from caring what people think about his masculinity and sexuality to the point that he is abusive to someone that he loves to learning to be true to himself without having to consider whether he is coming across as macho, tough or straight. Chiron initially regresses and hides his sensitive personality by buffing up and getting involved with drugs himself and then at the end allows Kevin to teach him that it's okay to be true to himself once more and accept affection, emotion and love.

I also thought Moonlight had a fair few funny lines considering the subject matter.

It's whatever if it's not your kind of movie, or even if you think it's overrated. But calling it awful, deplorable and trash is beyond ridiculous. 

Zero stars doesn't mean there's nothing competent about a film. Zero stars means it was overall to me a worthless movie and one of the worst movies I've seen. There wasn't anything above mediocrity in the craft of the film. The only notable thing was good acting and I would say almost every movie I give zero stars has good acting. The worst movies are almost always things like The Danish Girl that have one remarkable performance but are as films completely devoid of any enjoyment of any kind. 

I hated everything about Moonlight from the slow pacing and pointless plot to the pandering to social justice warriors. It truly was the worst of the worst when it comes to liberal Hollywood agenda films. Great, it's ok to be a gay black drug dealer - glad I had Moonlight to let me know that. It's ok to be gay in any situation! We get it. There was no character development because we are watching a dude in the ghetto with drug dealer and drug user influences grow up to also become... a drug dealer. Wow shocker! There's a place where people can go watch dudes jerk each other off without watching Moonlight and if I wanted to see that, I would go search for it. I, however, have no desire to see anyone guy or girl jerking each other off in a feature film. Just not my cup of tea! That's a perfect recipe for zero stars on my scale. 

Im glad you enjoyed it. I hated it with a passion and don't have to agree with you. It was the worst movie I saw all year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Zero stars doesn't mean there's nothing competent about a film. Zero stars means it was overall to me a worthless movie and one of the worst movies I've seen. There wasn't anything above mediocrity in the craft of the film. The only notable thing was good acting and I would say almost every movie I give zero stars has good acting. The worst movies are almost always things like The Danish Girl that have one remarkable performance but are as films completely devoid of any enjoyment of any kind. 

I hated everything about Moonlight from the slow pacing and pointless plot to the pandering to social justice warriors. It truly was the worst of the worst when it comes to liberal Hollywood agenda films. Great, it's ok to be a gay black drug dealer - glad I had Moonlight to let me know that. It's ok to be gay in any situation! We get it. There was no character development because we are watching a dude in the ghetto with drug dealer and drug user influences grow up to also become... a drug dealer. Wow shocker! There's a place where people can go watch dudes jerk each other off without watching Moonlight and if I wanted to see that, I would go search for it. I, however, have no desire to see anyone guy or girl jerking each other off in a feature film. Just not my cup of tea! That's a perfect recipe for zero stars on my scale. 

Im glad you enjoyed it. I hated it with a passion and don't have to agree with you. It was the worst movie I saw all year. 

I think we all got our answer to our "wait,what??" question.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Pity for the loss of screens for FB it was still doing decent business. I guess we have to rearrange predictions now. Is 235m dead?

I don't think so, but it will be close. Goblet of Fire's holds from here on out would get it over $236m, but DH1's holds would get it to $234.8m. The theater count hurts, but FB has had better PTAs than Goblet of Fire and DH1 this past week. 

• Like 2

Moana is holding better than Toy Story 2 and now $6M a head of it

I think it will finish around $260M

And it is also making more gains (percent-wise) versus Tangled, $260M would be awesome (not expecting that much, thou).

• Like 1