grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

1 minute ago, TheScarecrow said:

I don’t think Jack Black, Kevin Hart or Karen Gillan really count as box office draws…

Kevin Hart is absolutely a draw. He’s literally the most successful comedian in history, like it or not. It couldn’t have all been the rock. Otherwise his other movies would have been more successful than they were. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

1 minute ago, TheScarecrow said:

I don’t think Jack Black, Kevin Hart or Karen Gillan really count as box office draws…

Jack Black makes everything he's in better so i'd absolutely argue he's a decent draw. Now if he's the only major actor it won't work out that well but he can bounce off people pretty nicely.

17 minutes ago, exomassey said:

I think the Rock needs to test himself out of his comfort zone.

I seen an interesting thing about someone comparing The Rock to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both have about the same level of acting ability imo but when comparing movies, the Rock has no films like Terminator, Predator or Total Recall.

He needs to change it up if he wants people to take him a bit more seriously.

Funny you say that. Thinking about doing a piece exactly on that.

He thinks he's heir to Arnold's throne. When, in reality, he's Sly. Someone all about the image/package and refused to work with those who will challenge him to the best results.

Arnold had a healthy ego, no doubt. But he was smart enough to know filmmakers like Cameron, Reitman, Verhoeven, even McTiernan made him better, and he took their direction.

No way Johnson would ever work for filmmakers like them without demanding so much control. 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Jack Black makes everything he's in better so i'd absolutely argue he's a decent draw. Now if he's the only major actor it won't work out that well but he can bounce off people pretty nicely.

But howw many people are willing to pay to see a movie just because Jack Black is in it? That is the defination of a draw, and I don't think that many people will go see a movie primarily because Black in it. And I like Jack Black a lot.

Just because an actor is in a lot of hit movies does not mean he or she is a draw . The question is can he or she on the sterth of theim name alone put fannies in the seats.

• Like 1

I don't know that the appeal of Jumanji was really about the specific actors so much as those actors playing those particular parts. Jack Black playing the in-game avatar of a teenage girl? Funny. The Rock a teen nerd? That's interesting. The Rock playing a Version of The Rock in Action Movie Number 6? Eh.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Or maybe it was nostalgia for the Robin Williams movie and the concept of the movie itself that audiences found endearing and not any of the actors

The concept itself but let's not forget The Last Jedi being what it was (not that anyone wants to relive that debate - regardless of where you stand) definitely played a factor.

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

...what

Jumanji’s success can be due to anything but The Rock being popular apparently ;)

I think there’s a strong argument that Hart only has as strong as a career as he does because of The Rock. I remember when he was cameo-ing in Scary Movie 3 and 4.

Edited by TheScarecrow

42 minutes ago, TheScarecrow said:

Jumanji’s success can be due to anything but The Rock being popular apparently ;)

I think there’s a strong argument that Hart only has as strong as a career as he does because of The Rock. I remember when he was cameo-ing in Scary Movie 3 and 4.

I agree and disagree - I think the Rock/Hart combo is one of the biggest sells to GA.  So, their careers have helped each other...

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I wonder if Rock + CBM flopping will result in a downward spiral for Rock that he can’t really recover from. It happens to basically every action Star not named Tom Cruise eventually. He hasn’t really had any major breakouts and the successes he’s had were him joining somebody else’s IP. 

Yeah, I mean with quality of most of his movies his career would nosedive in 80s or 90s after a couple of them, streaming and social media really saved his ass, there were huge action stars which didn't recover with far better films that flopped.

1 hour ago, TheScarecrow said:

Let’s learn to read alright. I mean I know it’s hard for some folks…but I literally said he was the catalyst for it in my original comment. Try a little harder. 

3 hours ago, exomassey said:

I think the Rock needs to test himself out of his comfort zone.

I seen an interesting thing about someone comparing The Rock to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both have about the same level of acting ability imo but when comparing movies, the Rock has no films like Terminator, Predator or Total Recall.

He needs to change it up if he wants people to take him a bit more seriously.

The Rock is one of the laziest actors in Hollywood, he's a green screen guy who cares more about selling his merch than making something good. He'll never be Arnold who actually cared and worked with some of the greatest directors in Hollywood which resulted in many great films people still watch and rewatch to this day.

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Or prime Jim Carrey...?

I don’t think you people realize just how incredibly successful Harts standup career has been. His tours blow out everyone else’s in terms of pricing and sales, and have been doing it for a long time. This period of extended success is remarkable and he’s bordering on being in an category by himself if he’s not already there.