grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Even though Shazam didn't set the BO on fire, it had a very good reception from critics and audience. That's why it's getting a sequel. They know there's potential there. If Black Adam does average numbers, that combined with a supposedly mediocre reception, puts it in danger of not getting the sequel. But let's wait before we bury it

One problem is that Black Adam costs 200 million, twice as much as Shazam. Which means if it does as well as Shazam..which grossed 366 million...it still loses money since the studio only gets roughly half the box office take.

And since money is very tight at Warners,and likely to be so for the forseeable future, I think a lot of iffy sequels which might have got green lit before will not get green lit now.

We might wel lsee Black Adam again, but  I doubt it will be in a solo film.

40 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One problem is that Black Adam costs 200 million, twice as much as Shazam. Which means if it does as well as Shazam..which grossed 366 million...it still loses money since the studio only gets roughly half the box office take.

And since money is very tight at Warners,and likely to be so for the forseeable future, I think a lot of iffy sequels which might have got green lit before will not get green lit now.

We might wel lsee Black Adam again, but  I doubt it will be in a solo film.

Very few of the superhero movies make profit from theatrical box office alone though.   

Shang Chi was thrown around as a comparison earlier. That cost $150-200m and made $430m. Isn’t that allegedly getting a sequel? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Very few of the superhero movies make profit from theatrical box office alone though.   

Shang Chi was thrown around as a comparison earlier. That cost $150-200m and made $430m. Isn’t that allegedly getting a sequel? 

Shang chi was very well received and MCU films almost always make more on sequels. Something you cant say about this or DC films.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Shang Chi (Almost Certainly) Gave Disney a Financial Loss...

I can't say I'm sad about the (likely) Black Adam Flop, this will be good because it will show studios that the general public doesn't give a f#c# about fanboys' opinions on social media, and  trying to please fanboys online (like The Rock did) ), doesn't work.

Edited by Marcos12

5 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Shang-Chi was considered a solid win?

I mean it's a bit chalk and cheese. I can't remember who said it, but it was a WB executive who said there are two types of hits - critical and financial.

Black Adam needs to be a financial success, Shang Chi didn't necessarily.

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

This year rankings for cbm so far(my enjoyment level only)

Batman

BA/MOM

Superpets

Morbius

Thor. 

Have not seen Black Adam but your first place and last place are my top 2 lol, don't know what that will mean for my enjoyment of Black Adam.

As for the rest I thought MoM was fine, Superpets was cute and funnier than I thought I would be, couldn't make it through Morbius. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This year rankings for cbm so far(my enjoyment level only)

Batman

BA/MOM

Superpets

Morbius

Thor. 

BA is miles better than MoM... genuinely..honestly.

My wife walked out of MoM yet she enjoyed BA. Maybe expectations were different but my theater didn't clap at MoM..

4 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Have not seen Black Adam but your first place and last place are my top 2 lol, don't know what that will mean for my enjoyment of Black Adam.

As for the rest I thought MoM was fine, Superpets was cute and funnier than I thought I would be, couldn't make it through Morbius. 

I don’t want to derail the thread too much but I despised Thor, literally like bottom tier cbm ever for me. I’m glad you enjoyed though. 

Black adam is just a dumb fun action movie. I get the criticism but it was fun for me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

BA is miles better than MoM... genuinely..honestly.

My wife walked out of MoM yet she enjoyed BA. Maybe expectations were different but my theater didn't clap at MoM..

I liked MoM more than most I think. 

• Like 1