grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

BLACK ADAM debuts today on HBOMAX.  No promo from Dwayne Johnson??  No "Hierarchy of HBOMAX will change...now that BLACK ADAM is here!"  No?  Hmmm... oh, I see he stopped "following" his own project's social media...and the studio that funded it.  You can't make this stuff up. 

Off to watch what all the fuss was about on HBOMAX!  😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

BLACK ADAM debuts today on HBOMAX.  No promo from Dwayne Johnson??  No "Hierarchy of HBOMAX will change...now that BLACK ADAM is here!"  No?  Hmmm... oh, I see he stopped "following" his own project's social media...and the studio that funded it.  You can't make this stuff up. 

Off to watch what all the fuss was about on HBOMAX!  😁

I would like to hear your thoughts. He was terribly cast here. Didn't give me Black Adam vibes. Only The Rock vibes. 🙃

You know, usually celebrities are so measured and scripted and downright fake, especially on social media, and they get their paychecks either way so you get the feeling they only care so much about this stuff, but I get the feeling that Dwayne is genuinely really upset here. Might sound like a captain obvious sort of comment but I just picture all these actors taking the box office in stride as it's all just work that they get paid for at the end.

He really cared about this one though and it hasn't gone well at all.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Verrows said:

You know, usually celebrities are so measured and scripted and downright fake, especially on social media, and they get their paychecks either way so you get the feeling they only care so much about this stuff, but I get the feeling that Dwayne is genuinely really upset here. Might sound like a captain obvious sort of comment but I just picture all these actors taking the box office in stride as it's all just work that they get paid for at the end.

He really cared about this one though and it hasn't gone well at all.

Agreed.  The feeling I come away with having just finished the movie is...yeah, the movie is not great, and Johnson's ego got out of control when out there promoting it, but he developed this project for years, many years longer than most actors stick with projects, and yeah, he seemed to genuinely care about it.  While the movie isn't great, I found it overall a damn sight better than BvS, Whedon's Justice League; I'd even watch Black Adam again before I'd ever touch WW84 again -- so while the story and lines are entirely predictable, the characters barely defined (as only a measured fan of DC lore, Hawkman's powers/suit origin are entirely unclear to me through this movie, for instance), the ultimate villain super-lame-o... dammit if Pierce Brosnan (and the amazing suit) doesn't give the drama a heightened life and existence through his performance alone.  Brosnan nearly saves the entire movie!  Perfect casting, there. 

The effects are mostly great, but the whole thing moves so fast, and yet still too much of the Snyder-esque slo-mo action that is so tired, at this point.  But yes, Johnson's "charisma" is barely existent, and while he physically fits the role, in a way he's probably still miscast.  I'm almost sure now also that Johnson probably slammed this into production without a 100% script because his age was simply getting up there -- he and Garcia were thinking, "If we're going to do this, and I potentially play this character for the next 10 years -- we have to do it NOW." 

And everything wild that's happened in the past six weeks with DC/Warner Bros., right as this movie was emerging, I'm sure Johnson feels slighted.  The sting of the movie underperforming is one thing -- but the sting of his promotional phrases being utterly flipped over by the huge DC corporate change, and his character and movie now likely being buried, has to be an even greater sting.  You have to feel a bit for the guy.  And Cavill's cameo...I can see why this whole thing is frustrating for his fans.  It's kind of a cool moment, and Cavill never looked or sounded better than in that moment, I must admit.  They nailed it.  But it's over.  (See, I can be an objective critic!)

That's the funny thing about art.  Even in a movie as mediocre as Black Adam, it still makes me empathize a bit with humanity, and therefore reconsider all this snarking we've all been doing about The Rock and everything DC. 

Still...no way they should have have spent $200 mil. on this.  That was way stupid.  😉 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Agreed.  The feeling I come away with having just finished the movie is...yeah, the movie is not great, and Johnson's ego got out of control when out there promoting it, but he developed this project for years, many years longer than most actors stick with projects, and yeah, he seemed to genuinely care about it.  While the movie isn't great, I found it overall a damn sight better than BvS, Whedon's Justice League; I'd even watch Black Adam again before I'd ever touch WW84 again -- so while the story and lines are entirely predictable, the characters barely defined (as only a measured fan of DC lore, Hawkman's powers/suit origin are entirely unclear to me through this movie, for instance), the ultimate villain super-lame-o... dammit if Pierce Brosnan (and the amazing suit) doesn't give the drama a heightened life and existence through his performance alone.  Perfect casting, there.  The effects are mostly great, but the whole thing moves so fast, and yet still too much of the Snyder-esque slo-mo action that is so tired, at this point.  Brosnan nearly saves the entire movie!  But yes, Johnson's "charisma" is barely existent, and while he physically fits the role, in a way he's probably still miscast.  I'm almost sure now also that Johnson probably slammed this into production without a 100% script because his age was simply getting up there -- he and Garcia were thinking, "If we're going to do this, and I potentially play this character for the next 10 years -- we have to do it NOW." 

And everything wild that's happened in the past six weeks with DC/Warner Bros., right as this movie was emerging, I'm sure Johnson feels slighted.  The sting of the movie underperforming is one thing -- but the sting of his promotional phrases being utterly flipped over by the huge DC corporate change, and his character and movie now likely being buried, has to be an even greater sting.  You have to feel a bit for the guy.  And Cavill's cameo...I can see why this whole thing is frustrating for his fans.  It's kind of a cool moment, and Cavill never looked or sounded better than in that moment, I must admit.  They nailed it.  But it's over.  (See, I can be an objective critic!)

That's the funny thing about art.  Even in a movie as mediocre as Black Adam, it still makes me empathize a bit with humanity, and therefore reconsider all this snarking we've all been doing about The Rock and everything DC. 

Still...no way they should have have spent $200 mil. on this.  That was way stupid.  😉 

I have absolutely nothing to add. Agreed on all counts.

15 minutes ago, joshwa1511 said:

Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson is my favorite actor. His acting is perfect. I read his biography two days before which I've really enjoyed. I also read other Celebrity Biographies which were awesome. You should visit them at once. Check this out! https://starfamegame.com/a-brief-glance-at-dwayne-johnsons-life-aka-the-rock/

Found Dwayne's burner

• Haha 2

Deadline Anthony says this

This news comes in the wake of Gunn and DC co-boss Peter Safran announcing thatHenry Cavill won’t be part of the next early-days Superman movie (despite the actor announcing his return to the cape with Warner Bros’ OK) that Gunn is penning, That news came amid other big reveals, i.e., that Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 is being sidelined and that Black Adam will break even. 

Instead of the bold and blatant lie that BA will profit, he's now stepped it down to  "Break Even".

Pathetic work from Deadline over this bloody film.

• Like 1