grim22

Minions: The Rise of Gru | July 1, 2022 | Illumination

31 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

uninteresting franchise ... will make good money though.

Universal.: 5 Despicable Me movies in 10 years

DreamWorks: 5 Shrek movies in 10 years

Disney: 4 Toy Story movies in 25 years

but the lack of creativity lays in Disney... 

Of the 6 Disney-Pixar animated movies of 2017-2019, 5 have been sequels. I rather have a funny Minion's movie than yet another pretentious Disney Sequel that tries really hard to be emotional but is just bland.(Yes, illumination is very bland too but they are way more funny)  

Anyway, is clear that there's cultural differences regarding humor here. I have read on this forum people calling Guardians of the Galaxy a "comedy" after all lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meriodejaneiro said:

5 Cars-verse movies in 11 years. And two of them were designed for the sole purpose of merchandising and from Disney’s DTV sequel studio.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

4 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

2 of those Toy Story movies, as well as 2 Cars sequels, 2 Cars spin-offs, a Finding Nemo sequel, an Incredibles sequel, a Monsters Inc. prequel, a Frozen sequel, a Wreck-It Ralph sequel, and a bunch of unnecessary live-action remakes all happened in 9 years.

I'm not saying Illumination and DreamWorks are exactly producing original content all the time, but don't even dare trying to excuse Disney from the same criticism.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

I have only enjoyed DM2.

I fell asleep watching Minions on the sofa. At least, I gave it a try.

That said, the design of the Minion is  truly an award winner.

I have seen so many children swooning over them, that the merchandising is probably only slightly below Frozen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

The point is not to look at one  specific franchise... Take 2019 :

Universal : Us - HTTYD 3 - Glass - Ma - Hobbs&Shaw - SLOP2 - Little - Abominable - Cats ...

Disney : CM (or MCU #21) - TA Endgame (or MCU #22) - Dumbo - Aladin - The Lion King - Frozen 2 - Star Wars 9...

Now, dare telling us that Disney has the same level of creativity/diversity than other studios...

6 hours ago, Omni said:

If a 9/10 years old (or older) brain genuinely laughs while seeing a Despicable movie, there's no cultural factor. There's just the need for an exorcist.

Nah, it just means they don't have anything up their asses.

2 hours ago, sgrave said:

The point is not to look at one  specific franchise... Take 2019 :

Universal : Us - HTTYD 3 - Glass - Ma - Hobbs&Shaw - SLOP2 - Little - Abominable - Cats ...

Disney : CM (or MCU #21) - TA Endgame (or MCU #22) - Dumbo - Aladin - The Lion King - Frozen 2 - Star Wars 9...

Now, dare telling us that Disney has the same level of creativity/diversity than other studios...

Not saying Disney is investing in "story creativity", just saying those who criticize a 4th Toy Story should shoe the same towards other studios. Seems like Disney is the only one not betting for new stories. Maybe it's just because Disney is the biggest and also an easy target. 

Anyway, you didn't choose the best of the comparisons here:

Universal : Us - HTTYD #3 - Glass (Unbreakable #3) - Ma - Hobbs&Shaw (Fast&Furious #9)- SLOP #2 - Little - Abominable (no original story) - Cats (well ... Cats) ...

Uni started promoting this apparently at Cine Europe two weeks ago.

This post from someone who was at the event shows their intro clip to the film. From what is shown in it, it looks like the 70s will be the theme of the film, as opposed to the 60s featured in part one.

Edited by MinaTakla

I think this one will see a huge drop ( like Ice Age 5 style...)

We already have a prequel ( Minions ). Despicable Me 3 ended with Gru's brother ( Dru ) becoming a villain and taking several minions with him. Now we'll get to see another prequel ( again set before the first Despicable Me )? That doesn't feel right.

Despicable Me works because of everyone together ( Gru, the girls, minions, Lucy, Dr Nefario ). Another prequel with only minions and Gru ( who might be younger ) won't help it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think this one will see a huge drop ( like Ice Age 5 style...)

We already have a prequel ( Minions ). Despicable Me 3 ended with Gru's brother ( Dru ) becoming a villain and taking several minions with him. Now we'll get to see another prequel ( again set before the first Despicable Me )? That doesn't feel right.

Despicable Me works because of everyone together ( Gru, the girls, minions, Lucy, Dr Nefario ). Another prequel with only minions and Gru ( who might be younger ) won't help it.

It depends on how audiences will see it. They are selling this one as a sequel to the DM franchise's most successful chapter (Minions) which didn't have Gru nor the rest of the gang in it (I actually think there's a reason they insisted on having Gru in the film title domestically versus just Minions 2 which is what the film is being called overseas. They are absolutely aware of potential domestic fatigue. Reminds me of what they did with Fast 8 domestic vs OS with regards to the film title/perception for the same reasons). This one has more Gru so there's that. And they're bringing back Bob, Stuart and Kevin (which they intentionally did not feature in DM3 despite Bob's popularity) to position it as a direct sequel to Minions 1 rather than a DM4. - a continuation of where Minions 1 left off (minions joining Gru) rather than where DM3 is concerned. An expected marketing/positioning tactic.

I agree that the perception you mentioned might apply domestically, but I don't think OS audiences will see it that way.

Ice Age I think is a bit of a different case (OS/WW at least).

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Even though I think this will drop big, the franchise is still huge.

My 4 years old daughter asked me when this is gonna get released and said she can't wait for it. 

For sure. It will still pull in big numbers, but it won't be as big of a hit as the first Minions. 

Moreover, I predict that Soul will make more domestically. 

• Like 1