WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates (pg 6): Rings 5.6M | Split 4.75M | Hidden Figures 3.1M | Dog 2.8M | LLL 2.3M | Space Between Us 1.4M

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

117 million worldwide for Resident Evil The Final Chapter.

As expected, the money has always been overseas. Don't be surprised if we get a "Resident Evil Regeneration" at some point in the future. :)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=residentevil6.htm

That makes me happy :) and there are still some markets coming including China ;)

Edited by janeeek1538
  • Like 1

La La Land is performing terrifically overseas. A $400m+ worldwide total isn't out of reach at this point. 

Fantastic hold for Hidden Figures, too. $150m should be just about locked for it.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, janeeek1538 said:

That makes me happy :) and there are still some markets coming including China ;)

Yep, movie still has Belgium, Italy, Russia, China and Kazakhstan.

I predict a final domestic performance at 26-30 million and overseas grosses at 150 million, giving it a full 180 million worldwide.

Some seem to think that it has enough markets / gas to hit 400WW but we shall see.

Overall it is a solid "superbowl" weekend. Not the biggest but we have 20 films over the 1m mark so the depth in the market place is what is propping up relatively low top 3 grosses.

Solid hold yet again for Split. The large screen space about to be taken up by next weekend's trio of sequels should hurt it, but it's still looking at a solid total in the $130-140 million range.

Rings actually did a little bit better than I was expecting. As big as The Ring was back in its day, all the air came out of that franchise after the sequel, and this reboot looked incredibly lame.

A Dog's Purpose has done alright in the face of the controversy it faced.

Hidden Figures continues to kick lots and lots of ass. Definitely one of the most impressive runs for any 2016 release.

La La Land took a harder hit than I anticipated, but it still has bumps from Valentine's Day and the inevitable Oscar domination to come.

Resident Evil has landed with a thud domestically, but all it ever had to do was clean up overseas to be a success for Sony, so mission accomplished.

Lion did alright in wide release. It plays like such a crowd-pleaser that I'm surprised it hasn't found a bigger crowd just yet.

The Space Between Us bombed, as expected. STX might as well have just dumped it at Christmas as originally planned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

The Space Between Us bombed, as expected. STX might as well have just dumped it at Christmas as originally planned.

It was originally supposed to come out in August before STX moved it around. They've known they had a dud on their hands for a long time.

Alright I'm awake now and it's about 2:30 pm where I'm at. So anyway here's the report for the weekend.

Split easily threepeats on a typical quiet Super Bowl weekend. 

Split managed to lead the weekend, as it's the first film released in 2017 to be #1 three weeks in a row! While the two long-delayed openers died this weekend. Overall the top 12 was at $81 million which is on-par with the last Super Bowl weekend last year.

Split led the weeekend once again with an estimated $14.5 million for the weekend, and another solid drop around 43%, with plenty more gas in the tank, Split should make around $135-$140 million domestic.

While it led Friday, Rings debuted at second place for the weekend with an estimated $13 million, that debut is on-par with The Bye Bye Man a few weeks ago, and better than the debut of Blair Witch from last fall. But it's kinda disappointing when you include the debuts of the last two films(even with or without adjusting ticket price inflation), and it will more than likely not even come close to make what The Ring Two made in its opening weekend in its domestic total, and Rings may or may not break-even for Paramount.

A Dog's Purpose had a solid hold this weekend, and should play ok for a bit, and make $45-$50 million domestic. 

As for the rest, Hidden Figures and La La Land are still having amazing holds! While Sing is enjoying another solid hold until Lego Batman comes out this Friday. Lion had an alright expansion and should make over $30 million domestic total. 

The Space Between Us couldn't connect well with audiences, which was another new release this weekend that was switched around multiple times in 2016 just like Rings was, as it's debut was a lackluster $3.8 million and should make well below $10 million domestic. 

Xander Cage got shot down again this weekend, which is still making over $100 million overseas, its dying here in the states, and should make close to $45 million domestic.

• Like 3