Alli

WEEKEND THREAD! FRI #s: Lego: 8M: 50SD: 6.6M: GW: 5.8: JW2: 4.1 (pg 8)

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Probably dollar theaters could give it another surge, and they have Life opening up soon enough. They could double bill those two Sci-Fi movies. Should work better than attaching it to Resident Evil at least. 

This weekend they not only had the double bill but a free voucher for a Passengers Digital download.   I don't think Life is going to be big enough to pull it up but Sony managed to pull SPECTRE up (:ph34r:) with only Brothers Grimsby, Risen and The Fifth Wave out.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Is Hidden Figures on course for the biggest domestic portion of its total gross for a movie that made over 150m WW? Currently at 87%, though a few territories have just opened and I assume the numbers need updating. Great run either way.

Don't films that focus heavily on black Americans fare poorly at foreign box offices? I'm not talking about films starring Will Smith or Denzel Washington. I meant films like Straight Outta Compton, Think Like a Man or any Madea movie. Not only that but films dealing with American history are tough sales overseas even without the racial and female driven story components. 

That being said, Hidden Figures is a wonderful film that everyone should see, especially every American. It's incredibly inspiring for liberals and it champions American patriotism for conservatives.

Edited by LonePirate

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Don't films that focus heavily on black Americans fare poorly at foreign box offices? I'm not talking about films starring Will Smith or Denzel Washington. I meant films like Straight Outta Compton, Think Like a Man or any Madea movie. Not only that but films dealing with American history are tough sales overseas even without the racial and female driven story components. 

That being said, Hidden Figures is a wonderful film that everyone should see, especially every American. It's incredibly inspiring for liberals and it champions American patriotism for conservatives.

Thats the narrative that the studios want you to believe but when the few black american films come out, they dont fare any better or any worse than other white American films. Unless you're a huge star like Dicaprio or Hanks ( Will Smith back in the day); it's tough to sell American central films period. 

Just look at this BOM comparison between Hidden Figures and films like The Butler, Lone Survivor, Unbroken and Lincoln.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=hidfigures.htm

The Butler and Hidden Figures(eventually) both made more worldwide than Lone Survivor and Unbroken. 

Also Hidden Figures will make more money than the last two BP winners: Birdman (103m ww) and Spotlight (88m ww) even if it doesn't win BP.

Moonlight (an indie about a black gay male from Miami) has already done better domestically and performing on par overseas with other oscar American indies like Room, Whiplash. It's currently looking at between 30-40m WW with 1.5m budget. 

http://deadline.com/2017/02/moonlight-international-box-office-a24-1201913834/

Edited by babz06
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Isn't it inspiring for anyone who agrees that segregation and Jim Crow was wrong?

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Isn't it inspiring for anyone who agrees that segregation and Jim Crow was wrong?

Considering that plenty of people in the US want to return to some fantasy land in their minds about how life in America was back in the 1940s and 50s, I stand by my opinion of how or why different people could appreciate the film.

5 hours ago, babz06 said:

Thats the narrative that the studios want you to believe but when the few black american films come out, they dont fare any better or any worse than other white American films. Unless you're a huge star like Dicaprio or Hanks ( Will Smith back in the day); it's tough to sell American central films period. 

Just look at this BOM comparison between Hidden Figures and films like The Butler, Lone Survivor, Unbroken and Lincoln.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=hidfigures.htm

The Butler and Hidden Figures(eventually) both made more worldwide than Lone Survivor and Unbroken. 

Also Hidden Figures will make more money than the last two BP winners: Birdman (103m ww) and Spotlight (88m ww) even if it doesn't win BP.

Moonlight (an indie about a black gay male from Miami) has already done better domestically and performing on par overseas with other oscar American indies like Room, Whiplash. It's currently looking at between 30-40m WW with 1.5m budget. 

http://deadline.com/2017/02/moonlight-international-box-office-a24-1201913834/

Compton did well in the UK and HF seems to doing decently so it vary from country to country. Lion for example which is an Australian film is doing superb business in the UK and Australia but it does help that it has Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman. 

Spotlight was the tough sell because of the subject matter, La La Land and Hidden Figures are a much easier sell in comparison, HF's only real issue OS is that the main leads aren't that well known, the biggest names would be Jim Parsons and Kevin Costner. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2017 at 0:11 PM, Jonwo said:

I'll take Illumination over crappy animation from Lionsgate, TWC, Open Road etc any day

To be fair, Lionsgate only distributes their animated films. They're just a studio who wants an animated hit, so they pick up any animated film they can, which happens to include a lot of Foreign animated films. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

To be fair, Lionsgate only distributes their animated films. They're just a studio who wants an animated hit, so they pick up any animated film they can, which happens to include a lot of Foreign animated films. 

You'd think they'd watch them first before acquiring them. They bungled the release of Shaun the Sheep which was an excellent film, it should have made more than it did. I hope Early Man gets a good distributor if they decide to release it in the US

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You'd think they'd watch them first before acquiring them. They bungled the release of Shaun the Sheep which was an excellent film, it should have made more than it did. I hope Early Man gets a good distributor if they decide to release it in the US

If they do release Early Man in the US, I imagine it'll probably get a small release and go straight to VOD, sadly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

If they do release Early Man in the US, I imagine it'll probably get a small release and go straight to VOD, sadly. 

I think Amazon Studios in partnership with Lionsgate or another small indie should release it to ensure it gets a proper release

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Amazon Studios in partnership with Lionsgate or another small indie should release it to ensure it gets a proper release

That's good to know. Don't expect the film to do all that well.