CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

It's stupid to blame the mix-up, arguably the only worthy thing, for the dip. People have taste and stir clear of this boring af overlong show with nominees and winners they don't care about.

That is so much stupid to blame anything that happen during the show (specially toward the end) to talk about ratings that no one would ever think of doing so, people are already watching or not watching at that point.

Has for people having taste and stearing clear ?

1) It is still one of the most watched show (so people are clearly not stirring clear of it).

2) The show this year was not boring, but yeah last year average spectacle didn't help for this year rating.

3) TV ratings naturally goes down for everything, TV in general is down. The 2017 Superbowl had the lowest rating since 2010, it was arguably the best superbowl of all time spectacle wise and had the highest tv share since 1979 (79% of people watching TV were watching it, but it was still lower in total than usually), there is simply less people watching TV now.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people decided not to watch the Oscars because it was widely assumed La La Land was gonna win everything until it did...and then it didn't.

Just watch them get a ratings spike next year of people tuning in in hopes that something as batshit crazy as this happens again. lol.

Nah that's like winning the lottery.  You can be assured going forward every envelope will have to be obtained by the IMF.   

Just now, misafeco said:

I only watched it because of Sing. I knew it won, the Fluid machinery (:lol:) professor told us in the morning. It was overlong and boring. The nominated movies were fine, I even loved some of them but they need to make it more interesting for a casual moviegoer.

It's the industry congratulating industry and, save for above the line categories, casual viewers don't give a fuck. In short, old fashioned type of a show. Add to that nominees and winners that people never heard of, or, more importantly, just don't care enough to sit through this snoozefest for, and it's not hard to see why numbers will keep nose-diving. I think they should do BAFTA thing and do the ceremony off screen and then show very abbreviated version on TV. No live telecast or anything. 

Count them as people I really would not want to be right now.

"There will certainly have to be accounting for this error," said Jeremy Robinson-Leon, principal and chief operating officer at New York-based public relations firm Group Gordon.

b-dum tsh

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's the industry congratulating industry and, save for above the line categories, casual viewers don't give a fuck. In short, old fashioned type of a show. Add to that nominees and winners that people never heard of, or, more importantly, just don't care enough to sit through this snoozefest for, and it's not hard to see why numbers will keep nose-diving. I think they should do BAFTA thing and do the ceremony off screen and then show very abbreviated version on TV. No live telecast or anything. 

They have signed a contract with Disney, that pay them 70-75 million a year to distribute the show on TV, and you think that they should break that contract and do no live telecast of what is what the third most watched things on Television in a normal year ?

That represent the vast majority of the Academy source of revenue ?

It is by design yes the Industry promoting itself on television, I'm not sure why one care, what is the difference between a world with no Oscar ceremony, and just not watching it ?

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

They have signed a contract with Disney, that pay them 70-75 million a year to distribute the show on TV, and you think that they should break that contract and do no live telecast of what is what the third most watched things on Television in a normal year ?

That represent the vast majority of the Academy source of revenue ?

It is by design yes the Industry promoting itself on television, I'm not sure why one care, what is the difference between a world with no Oscar ceremony, and just not watching it ?

True. I'm just happy that it went down. :)

Buzzfeed has a compilation of everyone's reaction from both video and pics to the Best Picture blunder:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/this-is-what-everyones-faces-looked-like-when-the

Gotta love how everyone from La La Land onstage is clearly dismayed by what's unfolding while Ryan Gosling is doing his best not to laugh his ass off. He and Emma are gonna be asked about this moment for the rest of their lives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misafeco said:

First act was good, second was decent and I almost fell asleep during the third act. It was just boring. Also the movie was too American for me, it's hard to relate to the characters. Not necessarily the movie's fault, but it didn't resonate with me much.

Which is a perfectly legitimate reason to dislike the film, or at least not rave about it.

From what I'm sensing, a lot of people are getting upset not because people dislike the film, but the reasoning of some people.

Like a certain somebody who said...

Moonlight won because of white guilt. Only explanation as to why such a terrible or at best mediocre film won it all.

or that the movie is just shameless pandering. Now I'm not assuming you feel that way, but a lot of people are being irked by reasoning.

Also the movie was too American for me, it's hard to relate to the characters.

It's an American indie, so that was bound to happen. Sorry that it hurt your opinion of the film, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

One of the main reasons I like Gosling alot more than pretty much his entire generation of handsome white guy actors (Pratt, Cooper, Reynolds, Garfield, etc.) is because dude just seems to not give a fuck in the most fun way possible. I also love Channing Tatum for similar reasons- they're just more self-aware and seem to be having more fun with the entire thing than most. Tom Hardy is the best though, because while all those actors go for charming, he goes for terrifying and enigmatic. Also, he's the best actor, FWIW. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

One of the main reasons I like Gosling alot more than pretty much his entire generation of handsome white guy actors (Pratt, Cooper, Reynolds, Garfield, etc.) is because dude just seems to not give a fuck in the most fun way possible. I also love Channing Tatum for similar reasons- they're just more self-aware and seem to be having more fun with the entire thing than most. Tom Hardy is the best though, because while all those actors go for charming, he goes for terrifying and enigmatic. Also, he's the best actor, FWIW. 

Of course Tom Hardy's the best. Plus he randomly adopts dogs.

But I really like Gosling too, as well as Pratt and Reynolds (and from those who know him, Cooper is a solid guy as well).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Of course Tom Hardy's the best. Plus he randomly adopts dogs.

But I really like Gosling too, as well as Pratt and Reynolds (and from those who know him, Cooper is a solid guy as well).

So I see you've ditched Andrew Garfield and are back with Tom Hardy now. Cheater.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Ditched Garfield? :lol: 

Yes. 2015 you were ejaculating all over the place for Tom Hardy and Mad Max. Then he did that movie directed by your enemy and broke up with him and Andrew Garfield became your new favorite thanks to Hacksaw Ridge and Silence.

Although between the Mad Max and Hacksaw love I wonder if it's just a Mel thing. Bad Tele!

• Like 1