CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

A person can choose to put politics in whatever aspects of their daily lives or they can choose not to.  I had a hamburger for dinner last night because I really wanted one.  I didn't think of the socio political aspects.  Likewise with most movies it's not something I think about.   Take TDK when it came out there were articles how it represented the War on Terror.  If someone wanted to approach that way, fine.  Me I watched a movie where Batman faced off with the Joker and that was it.   Neither approach is wrong.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i traced this back. the last time my favourite movie of the year won best picture was Unforgiven 24 years ago. this year not nominated.

Mine was ROTK in 2003.

Years where my favorite movie wasn't even nominated (since 2003):

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean I don't think it's better than TDK, which might be the best blockbuster since Terminator 2. But it's the second best movie of 2008 IMO, and that was a solid year. 

You are good people Clay.

• Like 1

Looking at 2014, the Oscars Top 8 

American Sniper   

Birdman
Boyhood 
The Grand Budapest Hotel  
The Imitation Game  
Selma   
The Theory of Everything   
Whiplash

vs my Top 8

Calvary

The Double

Grand Budapest Hotel

The Guest

Inherent Vice

Locke

Nightcrawler

The Raid 2

I think my Top 8 would have made for a funner ceremony.

For some reason I prefer the last 2 to be Best Director and Best Picture. It just seems apt almost, you have awarded all the other things which make up a movie up to that point, then finally you award the guy who brought all the elements together into a movie followed by the movie itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Looking at 2014, the Oscars Top 8 

American Sniper   

Birdman
Boyhood 
The Grand Budapest Hotel  
The Imitation Game  
Selma   
The Theory of Everything   
Whiplash

vs my Top 8

Calvary

The Double

Grand Budapest Hotel

The Guest

Inherent Vice

Locke

Nightcrawler

The Raid 2

I think my Top 8 would have made for a funner ceremony.

I like Calvary but felt that the middle just went on waiting for the final reveal. It had a great beginning and a really good ending but everything in between felt like biding time till the climax.

I had a slight sore throat on Friday morning but I went to work anyway. I started to feel worse throughout the day so I went home early. I was a bit pissed off to be sick over the weekend. I managed to re-watch Trainspotting but didn't feel like going out to see T2. 

I'm still sick today so I'm staying home. Silver lining is I can watch the Oscars live for the first time in years. 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I like Calvary but felt that the middle just went on waiting for the final reveal. It had a great beginning and a really good ending but everything in between felt like biding time till the climax.

I can understand that.

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Sicario was my favorite of 2015 and it didn't get nominated :sadben:

Mad Max was probably my favorite of the bunch that got nominated, or perhaps the Big Short

Same here.  You know if they ever make the BOT movie they'd likely replace you with me in a bit of whitewashing 

• Like 1