grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Just watched this. It's just a bit off throughout. Not as fun as it should be. The ending is inventive but this has to be the most predictable movie ever made. The script is Action Movie 101.

Was really hoping this would be much better and more fun. The issue is that it takes itself just a bit too seriously to really have fun with the concept. Also felt like a lot of stuff got cut, it's a lean movie at about 90 without credits it felt like.

There is one scene where The Rock is acting and that is just awful to see. The Rock is best when he's being The Rock, no idea why he played this character like he was up for an Oscar or something. There was just something missing in the whole thing. So much potential, won't say it's a disappointment but it could have been so so much more better and more fun.

49 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm glad stuff got cut if this is the case.  This would've been insufferable if it went on longer than it did.

@YLF said his test screening was 2 hours, so a lot of stuff was definitely cut.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I'm wondering if this was my imagination, but 

BIG SPOILER

Hide contents

The crane jump to the building seemed to have the distance between the crane and the building visibly much much closer than it is in the trailer

Anyone else who watched the movie felt that?

They probably changed it because A lot of people at my screening told them it was too unrealistic. EVERYONE at my screening disliked the movie. When they came up to me and the person next to me asking if we liked it and we said no... they said jokingly something about exceeding the amount of dislike/no responses allowed lol. 

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Skyscraper and Rampage have almost the same budget ($120/125 million). Holy shit!

Giant CGI ape costs the same as man beating up a building of dudes?butler.png

White King Kong + (Wreck It) Ralph + Girl Godzilla destroying an entire city.

:redcapes:

Edited by Asyulus

looks like Skyscraper is in the same O/U 30 million OW range that Rampage was looking at.  The only bad thing is Skyscraper cost $125 million, whereas Rampage cost $120 million and will be selling blu-rays for....

"generations hence." 

Spoiler

Gary+Oldman+The+Dark+Knight.PNG

Skyscraper will have to bank on having the 'one word title' for a film that so many classic action films have for Skyscrapers duration/home video life.

Edited by dVmatrix5xdU

10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

@YLF said his test screening was 2 hours, so a lot of stuff was definitely cut.

7 hours ago, YLF said:

They probably changed it because A lot of people at my screening told them it was too unrealistic. EVERYONE at my screening disliked the movie. When they came up to me and the person next to me asking if we liked it and we said no... they said jokingly something about exceeding the amount of dislike/no responses allowed lol. 

Rewatched the first trailer and there’s definitely stuff cut from the first act and a couple of action shots aren’t in the movie either. 

I've tried to find excitement for this film. I like the Rock. I like Die Hard, disaster films and Towering Inferno. 

Best I can come up with is it's too derivative without enough of it's own soul. At least that I can discern from the trailers. 

With my time being limited as it is these day to see movies this one is behind Equalizer 2(which I do have genuine excitement for) on my "if an opportunity arises" list. 

Random thoughts about this movie:

1. Remember how last year they wouldn’t stop trying to make Ruby Rose a thing? And then they discovered she can’t act and people got tired of her? Well Skyscraper manages to have a whole replacement for her. She’s asian, just as bad an actress, but arguably hotter so there’s that.

2. An Asian actor said “Oh My God” and they put it in subtitles as if they had so little faith the audience would understand what he just said.

3. The race of The Rock’s children keeps changing in every movie. This time theyre black. In San Andreas and The Game Plan they were white. In Fast and Furious they were Polynesian. I kinda dig it.

4. DUCT TAPE

5. There’s a room of mirrors (like in Enter The Dragon) in this movie that doesn’t have to be in the movie. There’s quite literally no point as to why these mirrors would be there. 

6. The top controls for the security of the building they just claimed was the safest building on earth is entrusted and stored on one lone iPad.

7. The entire movie is easily preventable.

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

5. There’s a room of mirrors (like in Enter The Dragon) in this movie that doesn’t have to be in the movie. There’s quite literally no point as to why these mirrors would be there. 

Haven't seen this but a room of mirrors is just visually cool. And for the past 70 years basically every movie that included one has been homaging this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Haven't seen this but a room of mirrors is just visually cool. And for the past 70 years basically every movie that included one has been homaging this.

What a genius Orson Welles was  - well except for dying Rita Hayworth's hair blonde.  WTF Orson?