franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Is making an Htiler satire movie right now, would make a realy good replacement I would think, but I would like to think he would refuse to scab Gunn job, except if there is something we do not know about.

I would prefer Taika Waititi to spend his time making good films not Marvel films (personally).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

And Gunn was calling for armed revolution last time I checked his Twitter feed before pedogate. I could just as easily say Gunn gave Disney an easy excuse to get rid of him and pedogate was the last straw, but that would be stepping into conspiracy territory. Wait, is believing in conspiracies cause to be fired? I can't keep up!

Anyway, it's all moot, because both Roseanne and Gunn got the same treatment, so in Disney's eyes their behavior was equally egregious, and I don't need to follow the tortured logic in this thread.

You Hate Disney.We get it.

You just don't get that if you do something the makes the company look bad, you can expect to get fired from it. That's the way it works in the real world.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

Anyway, it's all moot, because both Roseanne and Gunn got the same treatment, so in Disney's eyes their behavior was equally egregious, and I don't need to follow the tortured logic in this thread.

Not sure a company can make more to someone than firing them when they commit legal offense.

29 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

They going to just trash Gunn's script as well?

I don't see why they'd throw away that work.  I think they'll use it, or the bones of it, and perhaps credit it to a pseudonym.  Obviously whoever comes in to direct (because GOTG3 will happen) will do a polish to fit their own interests...but I'm sure the cast, as some have already said, will do everything to support Gunn's already-established vision. 

Not exactly related to GotG 3, but Mike Cernovich and his equally idiotic followers have seemingly failed to get one of the co-creators if Rick and Morty fired. That might suggest that if these idiots keep relying on their current tactics, it’ll eventually get to a point where people stop taking their bullshit seriously. Now if only Twitter and YouTube would stop giving Cernovich a platform...

9 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I don't see why they'd throw away that work.  I think they'll use it, or the bones of it, and perhaps credit it to a pseudonym.  Obviously whoever comes in to direct (because GOTG3 will happen) will do a polish to fit their own interests...but I'm sure the cast, as some have already said, will do everything to support Gunn's already-established vision. 

WGA rules are clear and strong enough to force them to credit it to is name I would imagine, same for residual.

If they use the script that Gunn developed, then what was the point of firing him? His work would still be attached to the project. 

In firing him, I assumed that meant that he was being taken off the project completely ie even his script wouldn’t be used. 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

If they use the script that Gunn developed, then what was the point of firing him? His work would still be attached to the project. 

In firing him, I assumed that meant that he was being taken off the project completely ie even his script wouldn’t be used. 

They have "ended their relationship with him". They can't un-do any work hes already done for them. If he's written a script they'll still use that. And then itll be rewritten by another writer. And directed by a different director. The point is they removed him from doing any more work on GOTG 3.

Otherwise they might as well be retroactively removing him from their previous movies. Not going to happen.

2 minutes ago, eVerYtHING said:

They have "ended their relationship with him". They can't un-do any work hes already done for them. If he's written a script they'll still use that. And then itll be rewritten by another writer. And directed by a different director. The point is they removed him from doing any more work on GOTG 3.

Otherwise they might as well be retroactively removing him from their previous movies. Not going to happen.

You can’t undo a movie that’s already been made....like they can’t remove him from previous movies even if they wanted to.

You can undo a script that hasn’t been made into a movie yet though.  

If they use his script then he’s making money off of the movie and is attached to it so what was the point of “ending” the relationship if it’s not actually ended. 

I wasn't shocked that he was removed cause that's expected in this climate, but  the way it was done. I thought Disney would take the usual diplomatic approach, get Gunn to resign saying he's taking time off for self-reflection and en-betterment. Then the studio would issue the statement that they fully support him in his determination to become a better man and wish him luck. But this extra harsh "we severed all ties" throwing under the bus took me off guard. No wonder his cast members and fans are rallying up in support. Bad PR move by Disney, IMO. They could have gotten rid of sudden liability and avoided backlash if they didn't rush to wash their hands off him for his basically being caught at something he's done 7 years ago (and studio knew about it). 

Edited by Valonqar

Found this comment on the MCU subreddit, makes a lot of sense imo :ph34r:

Disney is smart enough to know that the story will break one way or another. So the only way that they can control the break is to control how people see the story. So they fire James Gunn, knowing the backlash it'll bring. In fact, they bank on it. Count on it. If they don't fire him and wait for the crowd to call for the witch hunt, they have to fire him permanently. For real. He doesn't have a chance because public view has eaten him alive.

HOWEVER, if they DO fire him, Disney takes the heat and waits for the fan backlash. Suddenly the view of James Gunn is no longer "the monster", but now of a man seeking repentance. A man sorry for his past actions, and how he's moved beyond them. James Gunn stays humble during all of this, doesn't put up a fight, and instead owns up to everything said about him. He's heartbroken, but not going to fight back.

Fans call for his reinstatement. Disney lets a few days go by, in a little while they say that they hear the calls for justice. That they hear the fans wanting James Gunn back. And in an unprecedented turn of events, Disney hires him back. Disney comes out of this with a little PR scuffle

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wasn't shocked that he was removed cause that's expected in this climate, but  the way it was done. I thought Disney would take the usual diplomatic approach, get Gunn to resign saying he's taking time off for self-reflection and en-betterment. Then the studio would issue the statement that they fully support him in his determination to become a better man and wish him luck. But this extra harsh "we severed all ties" throwing under the bus took me off guard. No wonder his cast members and fans are rallying up in support. Bad PR move by Disney, IMO. They could have gotten rid of sudden liability and avoided backlash if they didn't rush to wash their hands off him for his basically being caught at something he's done 7 years ago (and studio knew about it). 

The self-reflection excuse doesn't exactly work cause these are from 5-10 years ago and he's already openly talked about changing since then. So he's going to re-reflect on stuff that he's already reflected on years ago and moved on from? lol