franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

James Gunn is the goat, Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite Marvel trilogy and I cannot wait until I get to see Vol. 3. I never hated a villain as much as I hate High Evolutionary. There are villains like Thanos and Darth Vader that you hate, but you almost understand where they are coming from. Not High Evolutionary. I never wanted to swing and shoot a villain as much as I did here. 

It should and it will make all the money. DC got not just the best Marvel director, but one of the best working directors right now full stop. Here is hoping he will lend his work for both DC and Marvel in the upcoming years. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

DC got not just the best Marvel director, but one of the best working directors right now full stop.

Bro i know this is your whole schtick but come on lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

James Gunn is the goat, Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite Marvel trilogy and I cannot wait until I get to see Vol. 3. I never hated a villain as much as I hate High Evolutionary. There are villains like Thanos and Darth Vader that you hate, but you almost understand where they are coming from. Not High Evolutionary. I never wanted to swing and shoot a villain as much as I did here. 

I'm confused. Did you see volume 3 or not?

Loved this film - the scenes with Rocket and his past are the darkest and most tragic in MCU's history. 

It is a bit overlong and chaotic, but it's so refreshingly full of heart and emotion. I'm gonna miss these characters and I'm glad they left on a high.

King's Cross in DH2, anyone?

And Floor is the best. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Kinda wild how this made a comeback on RT. From 77% to 82% is impressive.

One of the things I've noticed is that critics tend to course correct a bit when a movie comes out and audiences love it. Another example being Mario. Granted it wasn't enough to get it fresh but it did have quite an increase.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Here is hoping he will lend his work for both DC and Marvel in the upcoming years. 

Well, no, hes a DC executive now. So long as he's working there he isn't going to be working at Marvel.

As for Gunns overall impact on DC...I'm confident in the projects he's personally working on, but all these other ones have yet to be determined. Superman Legacy, probably safe to say it'll be good. The Authority? Unclear.

Edited by SpiderByte

55 minutes ago, fmpro said:

GOTG3 is hot in China and friday will only be down 30% from OD

WOM is kicking in. Saturday presales are very very good

Finally 9.4 is good for something, tues/mon wasn’t what I’d hoped 😛 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, poweranimals said:

I'm confused. Did you see volume 3 or not?

I missed the "again" bit, lol. Just watched with a second batch of friends yesterday. It’s wild to watch the film premiering in my town one week afterwards with a packed theater and with people crying their eyes out at the expected parts. I think it might be tied with Endgame as my favorite MCU film of all time.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:15 PM, SpiderByte said:

Well, no, hes a DC executive now. So long as he's working there he isn't going to be working at Marvel.

As for Gunns overall impact on DC...I'm confident in the projects he's personally working on, but all these other ones have yet to be determined. Superman Legacy, probably safe to say it'll be good. The Authority? Unclear.

While that’s true, things are fluid. I do think that James Gunn will eventually work with Marvel once again.  

Interesting Sean Gunn interview that comicbook.com just posted, about him returning to play Kraglin in a potential Guardians of the Galaxy sequel:

Speaking to ComicBook.com, Sean acknowledged that he's open to doing more work with Marvel Studios but admitted he doesn't imagine aGuardians of the Galaxy without his brother at the helm.

"I never close any doors as an actor. In my career, I'm always open to what might happen next. I don't think about doing a Guardians project with a different director, but I don't anticipate that my brother's going to be directing any more Guardians movies," Sean said. "He certainly wouldn't in the near future. I think we'd have to be old men. If more projects rise up, I would certainly be open to seeing what they are and taking a look and seeing how it goes."

If a Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 4 were to come one day, Sean hopes it is executed in a new way rather than an attempt to emulate James's style.

"It's like comic books. You can have a great comic book series for a group of characters and then it ends, and that doesn't mean you throw those characters away. You can have another series that's just as interesting, but it's not going to be just as interesting if they're trying to copy the previous series, right?" Sean continued. "There's always a fluidity to storytelling that I'm open to. Like I said, when James calls, I pick up the phone. Well, the same is true for Kevin and Lou. So if Kevin Feige and Louis D'Esposito, if they're working on something and they're interested in working together, well, let's talk about it."

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-4-sean-gunn-james-gunn-exclusive/

On 5/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, thajdikt said:

Kinda wild how this made a comeback on RT. From 77% to 82% is impressive.

But it’s telling it started really bouncing back after opening day. This same thing happened with the Mario Movie on RT. It makes me wonder if critics who chime in post release are paying attention to early audience reports/reception metrics/box office reports and adjusting their opinions as such to not seem “out of touch.” 

• Like 2