franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

They must've really felt bad for firing him and just let Gunn do whatever he wanted for this, huh? This and Vol 2 feel 100% like Gunn's movies, he's the only guy there whose been able to escape the studio machinations which even Raimi couldn't get out of.

It is very messy, and waaaay too long but its misshapen and strange in a way these movies are never allowed to be? It felt like an actual movie, very refreshing. I haven't been this baffled by a major CBM since like...BvS (for good and bad). But I was delighted by a lot of it too! And similar to John Wick 4, this felt like the director putting ALL their ideas into one last movie. So overflowing with stuff although this isn't as well paced. The constant stop start nature of the plot did have me feeling every minute of this runtime.

I liked it but it was a strange experience for sure, I def need to sleep on it. But I've gone from ambivalence for Superman: Legacy to genuine excitement, so that's something.

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Should swap DS2 and BW, slap a super on L&T and QM, maybe downgrade WF to “good reaction.”   

bit yeah pretty much 🤣   

What we really need to be back is like 6 As in a row

• Like 6

Just now, thajdikt said:

Don´t think that will ever happen again tbh

Then we’re never back.   

I don’t really see why they couldn’t just do a good job with cm2, cap 4, thunderbolts, blade, and dp3 — boom that’d be 6. But yeah I don’t necessarily expect it until like saga 3.

• Like 1

I think people only need to look at Fast and Furious and Transformers to see that keeping an ongoing franchise strong without trip ups for 10+ movies is easier said than done. And MCU kept up that streak for 10+ years, with multiple movies every year since 2011 (aside from 2012 and 2020)

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

he's the only guy there whose been able to escape the studio machinations which even Raimi couldn't get out of.

Based on the interviews I read with Raimi I don't think that was his goal. I think he even said something to the effect of he wasn't trying to make a "Sam Raimi" movie, but a great Marvel movie. That said I still think he made a really fun blockbuster and one of the better MCU entries. The ending is basically huge budget Evil Dead

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 2

The movie isn't as great as I hoped but I can understand the great audience reaction. Everything about rocket made the whole movie felt so special, touching and humble. Overall I don't think GOTG3 is particular great MCU movie but Rocket's plot is indeed one of the most memorable arc in the MCU history. It got my eyes teary but once you got my tear and heart, there isn't much I can bitch about no matter how flawed the rest of the aspect of the movie.

As for VFX, it is a hit or miss. Some parts the VFX gave me terrible flashback of L&T and AM3 but Gunn is smart to choose when the VFX cannot failed. The Rocket's plot feature some great execution of CGI and of course this is where they put their sources and attention to because no director would want terrible VFX to distract audience from supposed emotional impactful moment. 

Starlord's arc is also a good point in the movie to highlight and Pratt look particular attractive in this movie for some reason. 

This is one of the rare movies where the emotional beats hit even HARDER with each rewatch. 

I honestly felt more the third time watching it than I did during my first viewing. Testament to good storytelling, and not just using cheap emotion to garner sympathy. The emotion is deep, and complex. Very well-written, almost uncanny for a “silly book movie.” Genuinely impressive.

Gunn is the best thing that’s happened to DC since Nolan.

• Like 6

On 5/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, SpiderByte said:

DSitMoM didn't get solid reception from audience, it was between bad/meh, have you seen how much this movie made in the opening weekend and didn't make it to 1 bi? he has similar legs to BVS, does anyone think BVS also got solid reception and legs?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

DSitMoM didn't get solid reception from audience, it was between bad/meh, have you seen how much this movie made in the opening weekend and didn't make it to 1 bi? he has similar legs to BVS, does anyone think BVS also got solid reception and legs?

Bullshit, the reviews were nothing like BvS

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, SpiderByte said:

I’d swap the reception for Widow and MoM around, and add a super for both Quantumania and maybe Thor, and it’s right on the money.

Edited by YM!

58 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Bullshit, the reviews were nothing like BvS

Critics are only a small fraction of the population, if you were to compare by critics only, Joker and Thor Love and Thunder reception is not much different , but when we look at the public opinion, we can see an abysmal difference in the reception.

I won't say that MOM has the same public reception as BVS, but it definitely doesn't have a solid reception, the reception is meh at best.

Edited by Marcos12

Really really good, first MCU I liked with no ifs and buts since forever. Vol.2 I think is still my favorite but Gunn really left in a high note. Probably my favorite thing was the way he treated the other Gamora, I was genuinely surprised by the way she's used in the movie. Pratt was also really great and the most charming he's been since the last Guardians movie.

Best MCU trilogy by a country mile. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 6:29 AM, SpiderByte said:

This is incredibly generous to the last 4 MCU films. 

Doctor Strange had the most negative audience reaction and legs of almost any MCU film. 

Black Panther fell significantly behind reasonable expectations. 

And to call Quantumania of all things "mixed" is hilarious.