FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

31 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I don't think a $42 million opening for a movie that cost Lionsgate $25 million-ish necessarily precludes a sequel. Especially if it holds decently and does well enough overseas that they can command good prices for foreign rights next time.

With Hunger Games over and Divergent DOA they're kind of desperate for a franchise.

$25m of the budget. 

The whole of US and U.K. Advertising is on them too. 

I hope it gets a sequel. But they're going to have to either:

A- spend their money wisely

B- increase the budget 

Yeah... I'm not seeing it. The cheese factor alone in the trailer didn't make me think anyone above say 7-9 would want to see it. It was seriously so cheesy I wanted a case full of wine to go with it. I can't imagine a dumber looking movie this year and that includes Transformers which looks also painfully idiotic. I actually enjoy the Transformers movies as guilty pleasures but this new one looks cringeworthy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harley said:

That's put B&B at the #4 on the 2nd weekend top grosser chart. Good numbers so far for PW (although it did below Divergent 1&2 openings) .  

Yeh, if Power Rangers can do $300m worldwide like Insurgent, I guess Lionsgate will greenlight a sequel since PR cost less.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not so great hold for BatB. Did PR take part of its audience or musical does have some limit?

Not sure if serious? It's looking at 90M 2nd weekend and sub 50% drop, which is phenomenal.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Not so great hold for BatB. Did PR take part of its audience or musical does have some limit?

What's not great about the hold?  A 50% drop from as record opening is pretty great.  JW fell right around 50% in its second weekend, same with Avengers.  The bigger you open, the more you are going to drop.  Too many of us were thinking it would fall around 45% and that was too bullish.....especially since it had previews of 17 million.

• Like 8

Maybe the fact that BatB has burned off so much demand already made a drop like this inevitable. I mean, this thing will top TJB in a week from here on. There are only so many people who want to watch it (and really this is just nitpicking, a possible 85M+ second weekend is still HUGE)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

What's not great about the hold?  A 50% drop from as record opening is pretty great.  JW fell right around 50% in its second weekend, same with Avengers.  The bigger you open, the more you are going to drop.  Too many of us were thinking it would fall around 45% and that was too bullish.....especially since it had previews of 17 million.

Of course, Saturday could still blow minds and put the drop under 50%? 

44 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$25m of the budget. 

Right. That was my point. The movie cost them $25 million. Promoting it cost who knows how much. That's why I qualified my statement; P&A is one of many currently unknown factors important for a sequel.

@JonathanLB Primary turnout for Power Rangers was ages 25-34 per Deadline. The show was absolutely massive in its day. The nostalgia is real.

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

Right. That was my point. The movie cost them $25 million. Promoting it cost who knows how much. That's why I qualified my statement; P&A is one of many currently unknown factors important for a sequel.

@JonathanLB Primary turnout for Power Rangers was ages 25-34 per Deadline. The show was absolutely massive in its day. The nostalgia is real.

Uh oh, families didn't show up.

Deadline mentioned dads taking their kid to see it so half a family saw PR.  ?

If Lionsgate on spent 25m of the 100m production cost do they get all the gross or the same portion of what they spent.

Edited by Harley

Sure they did. 25-34 was a small-ish plurality (39%). 49% of the audience was under 25. Dads were 45%. And this is just from Friday/Thursday. It's not playing like a Pixar film or anything, but the 2014 TMNT audience was 55% over 25 on opening weekend.

Edited by Xillix