FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

If you look at it as a horror film a C+ isn't really atypical CinemaScore-wise. And for whatever it's worth (not much, probably) it's got the highest IMDb of the weekend's openers at 7.2 right now. Shockingly Power Rangers is still at 7.1!

3 hours ago, Crossfire said:

Power Rangers was actually good, but i can see why some people might not like it. It's kinda like TV series, you either like Power Rangers( or Tokusatsu in general), or you hate it.

I've been told that the Rangers powers aren't used until the last act, and the film is more focused on being a teenage based film, actually. 

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I've been told that the Rangers powers aren't used until the last act, and the film is more focused on being a teenage based film, actually. 

They get powers early as in the film they don't need to be "morphed" to have super strength. But it's true that they don't get in costume until the climax and a lot of the film is spent on characterization, training and the like.

5 minutes ago, Harley said:

I love horror/sci-fi and don't give it low numbers. I'm not sure thats true. Fans of the genre went to the film so that score will definitely not help it financially.

To be quite honest. I have no idea why it has a C+. The movie has flaws don't get me wrong but for a horror/ski movie, I don't believe it warrants a C+. 

And I'm a huge fan of the horror genre. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

You're assuming that only an unintelligent audience would prefer "toons and tights" as its preferred type of movie, and by implication that an audience that prefers critically-acclaimed drama must be more intelligent. I'm gonna have to ask you to back that assertion up.

Even the top 10 from the varying decades doesn't back that assertion. There are a couple of adults hits scattered but most of it is big "dumb" action and big "dumb" comedies.   Top Gun, Twister, Independence Day, Crocodile Dundee , Karate Kid Part II, The Nutty Professor weren't exactly over taxing brain cells and quite a few weren't even good movies.

Bigger movies populating the top 10 will of course push out the $100-200m movies where most adult break out movies now land.

Ferris Bueller made the top 10 with what adjusts to about $160m - around what Hidden Figures (well $180), La La Land & Get Out will do - and those all came out in a 3 month period. 

It's not the top 10 that's changed so much as the mid budget film and a lot of that has to do with exorbitant marketing expenses , the spiraling of the DVD market, and larger options for the adult audience with TV, Netflix & Amazon.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Wow, Deadline is often off with early numbers, but with the morning numbers close to $3m under RTHs number? Strange.

That $23,8m number of course is awesome. 

Remember, JW only got the $100m hold because of father's day. 

Yeah, Rth number should be spot on since it was much later than Deadline.

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

What a horrible number for Life. Unless it manages to make good business overseas, it's gonna be a bomb for Sony. Yikes. 

As if no one saw it coming?

Just now, Nova said:

To be quite honest. I have no idea why it has a C+. The movie has flaws don't get me wrong but for a horror/ski movie, I don't believe it warrants a C+. 

And I'm a huge fan of the horror genre. 

I think that it was significantly marketed to the adult sci-fi audience because of it's cast and they'd be less forgiving than the usual horror audience.  Also if people don't like the ending it usually kills the grade even if they liked the rest.

I told you some people were gonna be disappointed with a $90m second weekend. I know this movie has defined expectations so far, but this is still another classic case of BOT overpredicting and then having a (small) meltdown when it doesn't reach absurdly high predictions. Never change, guys. Never change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

They get powers early as in the film they don't need to be "morphed" to have super strength. But it's true that they don't get in costume until the climax and a lot of the film is spent on characterization, training and the like.

Basically, it sounds like it's a later day Rangers season with attempts at characterizations, as oppose to early mighty morphing where the characters were more known as goody good's. Also the film has some hysterical product placement.

1 minute ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Ehh sorry I thought it could at least do $20M. With all the commercials and what not Sony was advertising on my TV. It has the sci-fi premise. I'm not sure why expecting it to do high teens to a $20M weekend was asking for too much. So no actually I did not see it coming. Luckily for it, it seems to be doing decently over seas so it may not be DOA. 

2 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

True. Ads were generic (like Alien knock off) and didn't do a good job of selling how scary it really is. Reynolds can't open outside of Deadpool, Gyllenhaal can't open period and Ferguson is "that chick from MI" if anyone even remembers anymore. Plus, the horror movie that everyone still wants to see is in theaters.

Don't see B&tB doing just $81m with @Rth and the Beast's estimate. Same IM as Cinderella would give it $85m

Power Rangers is doing somewhat better than expected

Life is tanking but tbh the marketing never seemed to grab people

LOL at CHiPs

Edited by cookie

When Life's date change to March 24th was announced there was one particular member on a Power Rangers forum I frequent who was convinced it would be a blockbuster that would doom the PR movie. Personally I thought it would underperform but not this badly. I'll go see it Sunday regardless.

13 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Wow, Deadline is often off with early numbers, but with the morning numbers close to $3m under RTHs number? Strange.

That $23,8m number of course is awesome. 

Remember, JW only got the $100m hold because of father's day. 

JW also opened 30 million higher than BaTB.

• Like 1

Just now, Xillix said:

When Life's date change to March 24th was announced there was one particular member on a Power Rangers forum I frequent who was convinced it would be a blockbuster that would doom the PR movie. Personally I thought it would underperform but not this badly. I'll go see it Sunday regardless.

They are targeted at two different audiences. Neither one of them was gonna doom the other.