WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

I have already watched the Smurfs: The Lost Village film (previews showed on 25+26 March 2017), its very meh. I'd say $22-24 million OW

I have a prediction for it myself. It's lower then your's,but I will wait until the prediction thread is up on Sunday/Monday to announce my number. heh

1 hour ago, Telerian said:

My buddy and I were talking about it afterwards: it's very much representative of a larger problem in general with most of these remakes/reboots/etc. There's this desire to rigidly hew close to the original (either with story and plot or with visuals, sometimes both), but the originals were products of their specific time, place, and culture, and when you blindly follow without updating for the new context we live in, you get something that feels awkward and doesn't really fit.

GITS feels very much like a 1995 movie stuck in 2017. It's dealing with basic themes and concepts popularized in the early 80s. Certain key visuals feel like they were designed around the beginning of the internet. It doesn't really work as a plausible future with our 21st century as a base to project forward from. Without delving into the whole whitewashing issue as such, it very much feels like they tried to straddle the bridge (keeping the original Japanese cultural connection vs updating/rebooting the story and characters from a more western perspective) and the result doesn't fit either. Instead, it continually bugs in a minor way.... until (not going to spoilers) they, uh, take a big misstep.

This is without getting into the whole moral/ethical consideration of whether it's cultural appropriation or not. The end result doesn't really justify either approach. I guess to put it more simply: there's no reason to set it in Japan except that the original was (always a bad idea to slavishly mimic without consideration). And once they set it in Japan it feels all the weirder to have both so many major roles played by Western actors while also having a couple played by Japanese ones.

Is it better than Johnny Mnemonic?

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

Now we're going to see if GITS will also flop in Japan. If it does, people can offically say that casting Scarlett was a terrible idea.

It is not a terrible idea. It's just that the original anime character is so darkly contemplative, lotsa Blade Runner-esque soul-searching.

But bottom line: The reason why GiTS is opening in the 20s instead of high 30s is not because of

Scarlett, the setting, the ethnic issues etc, it is just Hollywood has already remade GitS with tons of mecha

anime mixed in with HK martial-arts with far more success : The Matrix Trilogy. 

3 hours ago, Harley said:

B&B will take the top spot once again next weekend. 

It'll probably be number one again this weekend. Not for sure of course, but it will be close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

No love for Black Widow. :stretcher:

No surprise. I don't know anyone who thinks the character is likable or among their favorites. I always thought that her popularity was Internet legend. I'm sure fanboys and feminists want her movie but GA doubtful.

• Like 1