Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

1 minute ago, franfar said:

I don't know how close the 150m OW tracking is for GOTG2, tbh. I still think it'll go under. It was their rivals that came out with those numbers, so they may be framing it as a disappointment when it actually comes out. Or maybe that's too tinfoil-y, idk the industry

The 150M tracking is from rival studios, so their expectations might be a bit high :lol: 

You are right, hiding the actual plot of Guardians vol 2 is a  bad idea, marketing wise, too boring.

It did terribly last year for the number one movie WW.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The 150M tracking is from rival studios, so their expectations might be a bit high :lol: 

I know. Again, I'm not trying to sound tinfoil-y, but maybe they're just giving the high #s to set it up for "disappointment."

I'll stick with 115-120m OW, but I'll admit it if I'm wrong.

GOTG2 is making over $300M. I don't see how it doesn't make it over. I also don't see it making less than the original. It won't have legs like the original, obviously but it should manage to get over $330M. If it hits $130M OW, which is really doable, it sets up perfectly to make it over the original. Then again maybe I'm overestimating it but I feel like there's been a lot of hype for the film when the trailers/teasers have been dropping. I do think the marketing has been somewhat disappointing though so far and maybe it'll have an effect on the OW box office but I still expect it to be huge. 

If I can derail a little on Guardians...saw the tv trailer today and I actually told my spouse "do you want to see this one in the theater b/c off that trailer, it's my 3rd favorite of the 3 coming - Spidey 1st and WW 2nd (only b/c DC isn't getting any goodwill from me til they show me they can make a good movie)"...and we are uber-comic fans who actually are reading all 3 of these series:)...it's just not delivering anything new, at least by what I saw...so, I think I agree with previous posters that they need to give something away to drive people in...

I have seen almost every Marvel superhero movie in theaters (except one where I was 2 weeks post-birth and didn't have a babysitter)...and this may be a skip due to lack of interest...it would be a 1st voluntary skip for us...not sure we will, but we don't have opening weekend tickets yet (and we usually do for these movies by now)...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If I can derail a little on Guardians...saw the tv trailer today and I actually told my spouse "do you want to see this one in the theater b/c off that trailer, it's my 3rd favorite of the 3 coming - Spidey 1st and WW 2nd (only b/c DC isn't getting any goodwill from me til they show me they can make a good movie)"...and we are uber-comic fans who actually are reading all 3 of these series:)...it's just not delivering anything new, at least by what I saw...so, I think I agree with previous posters that they need to give something away to drive people in...

I have seen almost every Marvel superhero movie in theaters (except one where I was 2 weeks post-birth and didn't have a babysitter)...and this may be a skip due to lack of interest...it would be a 1st voluntary skip for us...not sure we will, but we don't have opening weekend tickets yet (and we usually do for these movies by now)...

I honestly think GOTG is going to be the lowest grossing of the three MCU flicks this year. Spider-Man is performing better on social media and trailer views, and Thor is lighting the whole damn internet up. I haven't missed any MCU films in theaters since I got into them with The Avengers, and that won't change anytime soon. However, I'm getting exhausted by them, and they need strong marketing to get me excited; simply being an MCU film isn't enough anymore. That's why I'm looking forward to Thor so much and the other two less so, although Spidey is more of a "what they're showing isn't appealing" type deal for me.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I honestly think GOTG is going to be the lowest grossing of the three MCU flicks this year. Spider-Man is performing better on social media and trailer views, and Thor is lighting the whole damn internet up. I haven't missed any MCU films in theaters since I got into them with The Avengers, and that won't change anytime soon. However, I'm getting exhausted by them, and they need strong marketing to get me excited; simply being an MCU film isn't enough anymore. That's why I'm looking forward to Thor so much and the other two less so, although Spidey is more of a "what they're showing isn't appealing" type deal for me.

You should make that club

"GOTG lowest MCU of 2017"

• Like 1

Gotta agree with Han here totally, stole the points I was gonna make. GOTG is easily my favorite of these Marvel movies, but outside "Baby Groot" what the fuck is going on with that marketing?? The teaser trailer was fine, but yeesh. No memorable music or lines like Hooked on A Feeling or any of the Star-Lord lines in the first's trailers, much less new characters or stakes. IDK if there's nothing to the movie or something but what the fuck is it supposed to be? 

IDK, that one is kind of depending on reviews and late marketing push. Originally I was predicting 150+ OW for it for months because it's easier to pick up and liked by a different audience than some of the other Marvel movies. Anecdotal, but my mom and dad can't wait for GOTG2 and they think the Marvel movies are all so boring. It's barely connected to the rest of the stuff and it's more of a space action movie than anything superhero like. With the great reception to the first, I thought 150 was gonna happen. But now? 120 might be tough. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Gotta agree with Han here totally, stole the points I was gonna make. GOTG is easily my favorite of these Marvel movies, but outside "Baby Groot" what the fuck is going on with that marketing?? The teaser trailer was fine, but yeesh. No memorable music or lines like Hooked on A Feeling or any of the Star-Lord lines in the first's trailers, much less new characters or stakes. IDK if there's nothing to the movie or something but what the fuck is it supposed to be? 

IDK, that one is kind of depending on reviews and late marketing push. Originally I was predicting 150+ OW for it for months because it's easier to pick up and liked by a different audience than some of the other Marvel movies. Anecdotal, but my mom and dad can't wait for GOTG2 and they think the Marvel movies are all so boring. It's barely connected to the rest of the stuff and it's more of a space action movie than anything superhero like. With the great reception to the first, I thought 150 was gonna happen. But now? 120 might be tough. 

One year ago, I was ridiculing those who thought it would drop from the first like IM2 and was going with 400M+. Now I find myself in the former camp.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I read even further, some think it could do over CW, which I don't even get.

• Like 1

I have been putting together my summer game list, and after a lot of thinking I have arrived at a very shocking top 2. You will see when I post my final list but I did not expect those movies to be my 1-2 for summer when i started. But after looking at trailer views, anecdotal data and real life buzz, I feel somewhat confident in going with my gut on that top 2.

• Like 5

Just now, grim22 said:

I have been putting together my summer game list, and after a lot of thinking I have arrived at a very shocking top 2. You will see when I post my final list but I did not expect those movies to be my 1-2 for summer when i started. But after looking at trailer views, anecdotal data and real life buzz, I feel somewhat confident in going with my gut on that top 2.

Wonder Woman for number 2 movie of the summer