Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

If it's actually good, I could see Wonder Woman being the biggest movie of the summer domestically. Pretty easy case to make, actually. If I had faith in it to be good I would put it there in all my predictions.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Did I time travel to May already? Wonder how F8 did at the box office? More importantly, is the world still standing after those nukes were launched.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I honestly think GOTG is going to be the lowest grossing of the three MCU flicks this year. Spider-Man is performing better on social media and trailer views, and Thor is lighting the whole damn internet up. I haven't missed any MCU films in theaters since I got into them with The Avengers, and that won't change anytime soon. However, I'm getting exhausted by them, and they need strong marketing to get me excited; simply being an MCU film isn't enough anymore. That's why I'm looking forward to Thor so much and the other two less so, although Spidey is more of a "what they're showing isn't appealing" type deal for me.

I'm undecided on Thor, b/c he's never been a favorite character of mine.  His movies have also been some of my least favorite, so I'm kinda waiting til after summer to see the next set of supers trailers and decide on their merits (for me:)...I do like the premise I've heard so far (and I'm so thankful Natalie Portman is out of the movie - she seemed like she couldn't stand being in the movies and it showed in her acting...love her in so many movies, but despised her in these:)...

• Like 1

It depends on reviews for GV2, if it does over 80% on RT, $130M+ is likely, besides GV2 doesn't me as a big presales movie such as AOU or CW or even Beast remember MCU movies never were big in presales, it seems less of a social media film like JW to a way lesser extent, and people were bullish predicting that.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think lower since GOTG2 will cut into it's legs earlier than Ultron did since it's coming out later in April.

I think so too. The drops from F7 to F8 so far in the released markets are estimated in local currency. The drops would probably be even larger when factoring in the strength of the USD since 2015.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I have been putting together my summer game list, and after a lot of thinking I have arrived at a very shocking top 2. You will see when I post my final list but I did not expect those movies to be my 1-2 for summer when i started. But after looking at trailer views, anecdotal data and real life buzz, I feel somewhat confident in going with my gut on that top 2.

Baywatch and King Arthur?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If it's actually good, I could see Wonder Woman being the biggest movie of the summer domestically. Pretty easy case to make, actually. If I had faith in it to be good I would put it there in all my predictions.

I could see WW doing over 400 Dom if it's good. 

• Like 1

This article is really stretching with this entry

June 30: "Baby Driver" vs. "Despicable Me 3"

Edgar Wright versus those infernal Minions. What a matchup. The writer-director behind films like "Hot Fuzz" and "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" will work his cult movie magic again in a film about a talented young getaway driver forced to work for a crime lord. Against "Baby Driver" is the third installment in Illumination's crown jewel, in which Steve Carell will play both Gru and his long-lost twin brother.

Baby Driver vs Despicable Me 3. Baby Driver will be lucky if it finishes within 100M of DM3 over the extended 5 day opening.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I have been putting together my summer game list, and after a lot of thinking I have arrived at a very shocking top 2. You will see when I post my final list but I did not expect those movies to be my 1-2 for summer when i started. But after looking at trailer views, anecdotal data and real life buzz, I feel somewhat confident in going with my gut on that top 2.

The Mummy and Dark Tower 

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul and Everything Everything.

WW will make between $290-300M...if it's good. If not more like $230-250. 

GOTG2 will make around $340M 

Spiderman will make around $320M 

Thor 3 will make around $230M 

Edited by Nova

Competition in the second and third weekends for May MCU films:

CW: Money Monster (14.8M) and The Darkness (5M) for 19.8M vs 72.6M; Angry Birds (38.2M), Neighbors (21.8M), and Nice Guys (11.2M) for 71.2M vs 32.9M

AOU: Hot Pursuit with 13.9M vs 77.7M; Pitch Perfect (69.2M) and Mad Max (45.4M) for 114.6M vs 38.9M

IM3: Gatsby (50.1M) and Peeple (4.6M) for 54.7M vs 72.5M; Star Trek with 70.2M vs 35.8M

Avengers: Dark Shadows with 29.7M vs 103.1M; Battleship (25.5M), Dictator (17.4M), and Expecting (10.5M) for 53.4M vs 55.6M

GOTG already faces more competition than CW and AOU in the second weekend with King Arthur and The Wall. The former has enough buzz for 20M, and the latter can easily hit 10M with enough theaters and strong reviews. That would also put its competition above Avengers. The third weekend is where the fun begins. This doesn't have the one-two punch of Pitch Perfect and Fury Road, but it has a biggie: Ridley Scott. Alien is on track for a 50M opening with a shot at 60M (60M is highly likely if Fox is releasing it in 3D, which is unclear). Additionally, Wimpy Kid and Everything Everything should provide openings around 10M each. The competition could very well end up at 80M, which is higher than any of the previous releases' competition save for AOU. If you use the lack of competition as a reason for GOTG to be huge, think again.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul and Everything Everything.

Everything Everything will make over The Long Haul, I can even see under $25M for Long Haul.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Competition in the second and third weekends for May MCU films:

CW: Money Monster (14.8M) and The Darkness (5M) for 19.8M vs 72.6M; Angry Birds (38.2M), Neighbors (21.8M), and Nice Guys (11.2M) for 71.2M vs 32.9M

AOU: Hot Pursuit with 13.9M vs 77.7M; Pitch Perfect (69.2M) and Mad Max (45.4M) for 114.6M vs 38.9M

IM3: Gatsby (50.1M) and Peeple (4.6M) for 54.7M vs 72.5M; Star Trek with 70.2M vs 35.8M

Avengers: Dark Shadows with 29.7M vs 103.1M; Battleship (25.5M), Dictator (17.4M), and Expecting (10.5M) for 53.4M vs 55.6M

GOTG already faces more competition than CW and AOU in the second weekend with King Arthur and The Wall. The former has enough buzz for 20M, and the latter can easily hit 10M with enough theaters and strong reviews. That would also put its competition above Avengers. The third weekend is where the fun begins. This doesn't have the one-two punch of Pitch Perfect and Fury Road, but it has a biggie: Ridley Scott. Alien is on track for a 50M opening with a shot at 60M (60M is highly likely if Fox is releasing it in 3D, which is unclear). Additionally, Wimpy Kid and Everything Everything should provide openings around 10M each. The competition could very well end up at 80M, which is higher than any of the previous releases' competition save for AOU. If you use the lack of competition as a reason for GOTG to be huge, think again.

Are you forgetting

c6z37bavoaaf7c3-jpg-large.jpg

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Are you forgetting

c6z37bavoaaf7c3-jpg-large.jpg

I forgot allllll about that :jeb!: That strengthens my argument even more! The May 12 releases might combine for 40M+ putting it close to Gatsby. 

Edited by WrathOfHan