Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

It's all about expectations. If you go in expecting a deep movie that resonates with you beyond blowing you away with the action, action which obeys the laws of physics, then that's your problem. If you go in knowing what these movies are, chances are you'll have a blast!

• Like 2

Just now, JB33 said:

It's all about expectations. If you go in expecting a deep movie that resonates with you beyond blowing you away with the action, action which obeys the laws of physics, then that's your problem. If you go in knowing what these movies are, chances are you'll have a blast!

F8 a popcorn movie like TF movies. I might not like them,but I understand why others do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think he's been typecasted as buff hero guy for a while now. Would be cool to see him try a straight-up drama, but if he did try to do a drama it wouldn't happen anytime soon at this rate.

I suspect his schedule is packed until the end of the decade. I do agree he is typecast but I do wonder if any director would be willing to cast him in a drama even if he was interested 

• Like 1

Not completely related to this weekend, but are there any movies that had Monday previews/Tuesday OD in the USA? Guardians has them on in Australia/NZ. It's gonna be a real weird opening week for it here.

Edited by aabattery

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Not completely related to this weekend, but are there any movies that had Monday previews in the USA? Guardians has them on in Australia/NZ. It's gonna be a real weird opening week for it here.

Only if the 4th of July is a Tuesday, but even then most movies open on Friday and make it a 5 day opening. Thanksgiving openers have Tuesday previews though.

EDIT: If Tuesday is Christmas, then Monday previews will happen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Here's the thing about GOTGV2, aside from the Avengers/CW movies, MCU movies never had extraordinary presales. Not to mention, even with shit marketing, Strange opened to $85M OW even with Trolls (a $45M+ OW too). The more and more I look at GV2, I sense real world hype (GA hype) is larger than social media hype. I was on the phone with my Dad (who lives in Barbados), the other day and we were talking about movies for a bit, and he (someone who was hasn't liked CBMs outside of TDK, WS and G1) was excited for it.

Oh I agree. I definitely think Guardians is doing 120m+ at least. Whether that means it'll outgross the original depends on a lot of things (reviews, competition etc...).

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Only if the 4th of July is a Tuesday, but even then most movies open on Friday and make it a 5 day opening. Thanksgiving openers have Tuesday previews though.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I don't think they've ever tried this before (not that I'm complaining) but should be interesting to see how it goes. It's gonna make the Aus-US comparisons really off though.

I did just find TASM had a similar opening week (Monday previews, Tuesday OD etc) so I guess that's the closest comparison.

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I don't think they've ever tried this before (not that I'm complaining) but should be interesting to see how it goes. It's gonna make the Aus-US comparisons really off though.

I did just find TASM had a similar opening week (Monday previews, Tuesday OD etc) so I guess that's the closest comparison.

I'm guessing it is because of Anzac Day on Tuesday, taking advantage of the holiday. It will deflate the OW, but probably give a better OD than it otherwise would have had.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect his schedule is packed until the end of the decade. I do agree he is typecast but I do wonder if any director would be willing to cast him in a drama even if he was interested 

I'd imagine not. His status as a wrestler turned action star has pretty much typecasted him mainly in action films and comedies. Those "dramatic roles" aren't likely being offered to him right now, though it'd be kinda cool if he did try his hands at a quirky comedy sooner or later. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Not completely related to this weekend, but are there any movies that had Monday previews/Tuesday OD in the USA? Guardians has them on in Australia/NZ. It's gonna be a real weird opening week for it here.

Yes. ASM.The first Transformers also pretty much opened on Monday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Infinity War has all the MCU characters and could potentially be the MCU's swan song to the GA doing something like $210M-$220M OW and then drop like a stone afterwards and finish with $450M domestic.

JW2 will be the next AOU, and do a big OW ($180M-$190M) but have shit legs due to competition.

The Incredibles 2 has huge amounts of nostalgia behind it, I could even see a $150M OW for it, and finishing around $500M with Dory legs.

Setting aside they're concurrently filming Avengers 4 right now,  why do you think a movie studio that exists only to make Marvel movies is going to stop making Marvel movies?  It's a movie studio that's made $1.5-1.9b in B.O. a year over the last 5 years releasing 1-2 movies a year.

• Like 1