kayumanggi

GEMINI MAN | Oct 11 19 | Paramount | Estimated to lose 111.1M

What's Paramount's risk with Terminator anyway? Those rights have always been such a mess, I can't keep track of who owns what, hence what the commitment is from all the participants.

I think the bigger risk is what they're doing with the back-to-back MI movies. People love them, and they are indeed great, but I think they're in danger of supplying more than the demand and seeing diminishing returns, thus properly killing their last viable franchise (critically and box office-wise). And, sure, you can say it would die with TC ageing out of the role anyway, but a more temperate handling might allow for a more widely-embraced transition to another lead with TC as supporting. Dunno, we'll see, I suppose.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, DeeCee said:

“See the innovative action-thriller GEMINI MAN first, at our immersive 3D+ in HFR screenings.

3D+ in HFR is an evolutionary digital format with a frame rate of 60 frames per second - more than double the traditional movie frame rate - giving audiences an amplified, fully-immersive 3D experience. With 60 3D images projected every second, derived from a pristine 120 frames per second master, 3D+ in HFR renders images closer than ever before to what the human eye sees, putting the viewer right in the centre of the action.”

I take it the 2D is 120 FPS but in 3D it’s 60 FPS. Correct?

I hadn’t realised the release for this was so close. 

Anyone? @Plain Old Tele Thoughts?

38 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I don't know whether there's 2D HFR shows or not. 60fps 3D should look like great, buttery-smooth 3D.

Thanks. Probably should have linked it. It relates to this screening. 

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/EventsFestivals/GeminiMan3DHFR?utm_campaign=25-09-19-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cinebuzz-newsletter

5 hours ago, TLK said:

The Irishman's budget is insane and it likely wouldn't have been able to recover it from its theatrical run.

People in media keep framing the Irishman/Paramount story as a little movie vs big studio conflict. Like it must mean the movies are dead if even Scorsese can't get a major studio like Paramount to back him. If Irishman was a typical 50-80 mil mid-budget project they absolutely wouldn't have passed. The 150 mil price tag scared them away because even in winning (let's say 130 mil domestic? normally terrific for a gangster epic) they'd be losing money. 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 2:18 PM, reddevil19 said:

What's Paramount's risk with Terminator anyway? Those rights have always been such a mess, I can't keep track of who owns what, hence what the commitment is from all the participants.

I think the bigger risk is what they're doing with the back-to-back MI movies. People love them, and they are indeed great, but I think they're in danger of supplying more than the demand and seeing diminishing returns, thus properly killing their last viable franchise (critically and box office-wise). And, sure, you can say it would die with TC ageing out of the role anyway, but a more temperate handling might allow for a more widely-embraced transition to another lead with TC as supporting. Dunno, we'll see, I suppose.

I think what'll help M:I is the fact that in 23 years, there's only been 6 films released. So I don't think oversaturation should be too big of a problem.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Paramount said yes to one of those films and no to the other

I don't really hold it against them. If I were a studio executive who was asked to finance a $160 million gangster film starring three men in their 70s who are no longer consistent box-office stars-for which half the budget will be spent de-aging them to make them look 30 years younger-, I'd be reluctant to agree to it too.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

I don't really hold it against them. If I were a studio executive who was asked to finance a $160 million gangster film starring three men in their 70s who are no longer consistent box-office stars-for which half the budget will be spent de-aging them to make them look 30 years younger-, I'd be reluctant to agree to it too.

This probably cost the same 🙄

Just now, TMP said:

This probably cost the same 🙄

Will Smith is way more bankable than DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci. Given Paramount originally only had domestic rights to The Irishman, it'd have be a real uphill battle to recoup the costs theatrically.