kayumanggi

GEMINI MAN | Oct 11 19 | Paramount | Estimated to lose 111.1M

New titles on tracking include Ang Lee's sci-fi epic Gemini Man, starring Will Smith. Early NRG estimates show the the sci-fi epic debuting domestically to $29 million, ahead of Lee's Life of Pi ($22.5 million). The pic opens Oct. 11. The range being given by the combined services is $28 million to $30 million.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-tracking-record-82m-october-debut-1241010

Not bad...

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I could honestly see this opening to $30M+ if reviews end up swinging in its favor. Smith vs. Smith is an easily sellable concept.

Maaaaybe... I don't know if it'll open more than $25m if I'm being honest, even with the positive reactions. It doesn't strike me as the kind of thing with too much mass appeal, more than fellow sci-fi film Ad Astra, but not by that much

21 hours ago, Elessar said:

Funny thing is, it's the opposite, HFR makes everything look real which in turn makes you think it looks fake because human brains have been trained for 100 years how a movie is supposed to look.

The effect of HFR is something I have been thinking about for years. When I go to an electronics store I always see these Super Hidef TV's and I see them showing an old film and no doubt it looks a lot sharper and clearer and you can see the pores on the face etc. Yet there is always this disconnect as the high level of realism is a turn off for me. I think because I want the movie to be fake or I can enjoy a movie because it is different from reality but when the movie looks exactly like reality then that feeling of escape is gone.

Maybe its something that takes getting used to and that if everything is like that our eyes will eventually adjust

• Like 1

I'm going to be honest-depending on how much Joker drops, I think that this could open at the No. 1 spot (emphasis on could). If that doesn't happen (and the box office is an unpredictable thing, so it could go either way depending on audience reactions), it'll probably open at the No. 2 spot.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, 35MM-18 said:

I'm going to be honest-depending on how much Joker drops, I think that this could open at the No. 1 spot (emphasis on could). If that doesn't happen (and the box office is an unpredictable thing, so it could go either way depending on audience reactions), it'll probably open at the No. 2 spot.

I can picture an scenario where Joker's 2nd weekend is 39M and Gemini Man opens over 40M.

“See the innovative action-thriller GEMINI MAN first, at our immersive 3D+ in HFR screenings.

3D+ in HFR is an evolutionary digital format with a frame rate of 60 frames per second - more than double the traditional movie frame rate - giving audiences an amplified, fully-immersive 3D experience. With 60 3D images projected every second, derived from a pristine 120 frames per second master, 3D+ in HFR renders images closer than ever before to what the human eye sees, putting the viewer right in the centre of the action.”

I take it the 2D is 120 FPS but in 3D it’s 60 FPS. Correct?

I hadn’t realised the release for this was so close.