kayumanggi

GEMINI MAN | Oct 11 19 | Paramount | Estimated to lose 111.1M

On 10/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, shayhiri said:

Aladdin was - and will be - his biggest project ever.

Independance day ?

It was only below Jurassic Park all time, broke opening weekend records, was 65% ahed of the number 2 of it's year and more than doubled the biggest movie of the year of the year before, everybody remember it more than 20 year's later.

Aladdin isn't in the top 5 of it's own year (and it is not over with frozen 2, star wars, etc... coming up), it feel like is significantly below Independance day.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:46 PM, dudalb said:

And Will Smith is not the big draw he once was.

Frankly, I think he is being overpaid with the big paychecks he is getting for his next two projects.

He is not getting those 9 figures paycheck from when he was the big draw either.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Aladdin was a huge hit for Smith just this Summer. Gemini Man bombing is not a referendum on Will Smith's career as everyone already knew that he didn't have the drawing power that he used to and movies are more about IP than they are about actors anyway. Brad Pitt just played in Flop Astra and I don't see people getting up in arms about his career. Brad Pitt is not a draw either by the way. If anything this film will hurt Ang Lee. Who will give him another visual effects laden action film after the massive failure of Hulk in 2003 and now Gemini Man in 2019? He needs to go back to dramas. And not gimmicky dramas like Billy Lynn. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

On 10/14/2019 at 1:29 AM, Zakiyyah6 said:

Brad Pitt is not a draw either by the way

I feel like he is in many market, low exchange rate do not show it fully, Ad Astra opened higher and is already ahead of First Man total in many market because of Pitt presence I think.

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Will Smith is motivated solely by greed. That’s why he is doing Bright 2 instead of Suicide Squad 2 because Netflix is giving him 20 million for it 

That sound quite low for a sequel (except if Netflix created a bonus structure recently but I doubt it), rumor are a more reasonable 35M (what A-lister were paid when their movie flopped not so long ago with their 20M + 10% first dollar gross typical deal)

11 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

exactly

Studios would be happy if current Will Smith only asks for 20m on a movie (no backend split).

Point is Studios will eventually just refuse to pay Smith the money and look elsewhere for a leading man unless SMith has solid line of successes.

He is not going to get the kind of deal he once did until he shows that Aladin was not just a one off.

Edited by dudalb