Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

So are both films really going to open to less than 20?

King Arthur yes, Snatched depends on Mother's Day

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

?

2016 Box office

11.4 billion domestic + 27.2 billion = 38.6b

10.6 billion domestic + 18.8 billion = 29.4b

The box office went up by 32% since 2009. That is considerable.

The few percent I was referring to was domestic.

5.4b of the 8.4b OS growth was china and HLWD movies are just 40% of that and their take is just 25% or just 600m of the 5.4B. SK also surged as I assume other countries did with local films.  So again HLWD studio's take is just up several percent at best in OS. It just seems with so many franchises putting out films now, there are a great deal more of 150m budgets(30%)while the number of 100m films remains around 30 in Dom BO. The top ten has increased dramatically in WW BO but 20th and beyond are stagnant.  

23 minutes ago, POTUS said:

The few percent I was referring to was domestic.

5.4b of the 8.4b OS growth was china and HLWD movies are just 40% of that and their take is just 25% or just 600m of the 5.4B. SK also surged as I assume other countries did with local films.  So again HLWD studio's take is just up several percent at best in OS. It just seems with so many franchises putting out films now, there are a great deal more of 150m budgets(30%)while the number of 100m films remains around 30 in Dom BO. The top ten has increased dramatically in WW BO but 20th and beyond are stagnant.  

The competition from local movies was also there in that 18.8b of 2016 too, I'm sure Hollywood percentage of the global box office went down (and I would guess continued pressure to receive a smaller part of the BO from struggling theater chain, down from 58% to around 53% for the big title on the domestic side).

But with the OS market grow of 50% during that time frame, it would need Hollywood share of the OS BO to have felt a lot to endup having grew by just a few percent.

We would need to look at the 6 studio, but for WB you seem to be right, not really a clear grow in rental despite the 32% global box office augmentation (that most of it is from China is probably a good reason why, also a good reason why the expense not going up much either, releasing there being really cheap).

WB annual film rental Revenue (if someone do it for the other 5 studio, we could add them up and see the annual studios rental revenue)

2016: 2,180

2015: 1,578

2014: 1,969

2013: 2,158

2012: 1,894

2011: 2,101

2010: 2,085

2009: 1,861

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm super glad I removed Snatched from my preseason now.

Same!

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Disney will need to keep Guy Ritchie on a very short leash for Aladdin. 

I can't imagine Aladdin will have the same problems as King Arthur did. That film looks like it may been edited to hell, which Aladdin will no doubt and hopefully not. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Okay, guys, that's it.

I have to be THAT particular idiot. Call me everything, but I need to know......

...what exactly is The V?

one of Jen's favorite body parts on a man

giphy.gif

tarzan-alexander-skarsgard.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alli said:

Power rangers, KA had planned sequels. Who else is planning an entire universe this summer?! :P  Don't count your chickens before they hatch

Tell that to the Robin Hood cinematic universe.

UPDATE, 12:29 PM: Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur is not off to a royal start. Current weekend estimates being made off matinee figures show an industry forecast of $6M for today, and $18M for the weekend, which is a lot of red ink for both Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow who’ve spent a combined $175M before P&A on this noisy disaster. At this rate, King Arthur could lose second place to 20th Century Fox’s Snatched which is looking at $6.5M for today and $18.5M-$19M this weekend.  The Amy Schumer comedy has a 37% Rotten Tomatoes score, which is far from her previous starring vehicle Trainwreck, which wowed at 85% certified fresh. That movie’s critical acclaimed pushed it to an awesome $30M debut off a $35M production cost.  Snatched, produced by Chernin Entertainment, was a tad more at $42M before P&A.

Disney’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 in its second sesh has No. 1 tied up with $60M, -59% (similar decline to Captain America: Civil War at some ponit in its run) for a 10-day take of $243M, approximately $90M shy from overtaking its first volume GOTG at the domestic B.O.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

GOTG 2 with a potential 59 percent decline to 60 million, can it still pass its predecessor?

Of course! 

Btw how's it doing at your theater? 

Edited by DAJK