Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

Why the fuck, are people freaking out already that this summer will be underwhelming? The 2nd weekend of May minus the exception of 2014,2013,2011,2010,and 2009. Was ever a good place for movies, Summer 2017 will be fine. 

As for the new releases, Not an amazing or horrendous preview number for King Arthur but should probably play and debut like the 2004 King Arthur. 

Not a bad but not amazing number for Snatched, but keep in mind Trainwreck was at a time when comedies were thinning out in 2015, and it both brought in male & female audiences alike. As well as having a known director such as Judd Apatow attached, and Schumer's popularity in 2015 was on the rise. But Snatched from the start would be different, while having the writer of The Heat and Spy attached it doesn't mean the same numbers. So a debut at least between $18-$20 million would be ok, and should be a modest profit for Fox.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Uh, either this is an error on Fandango's part or Disney moved Cars to July 14 :ohmygod: 

MA_Cars_196x284.jpg

It is the UK release date. Someone made a mistake probably.

Would be cool though cause I approve of anything that would hurt the legs of an Illumination movie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lmao, none of those three will bomb. Alien is on track for Prometheus numbers, POTC will be huge OS, and The Mummy has a low budget.

do you still predict big numbers for pirates? domestic i mean

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Uh, either this is an error on Fandango's part or Disney moved Cars to July 14 :ohmygod: 

MA_Cars_196x284.jpg

Probably an error, it's being released OS in July so perhaps they got a international poster.

This summer's box office looks a bit muted, but this holiday season and next summer is loaded with big potential hits. Not to forget that March this year was killer.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's just how scheduling worked out.

• Like 1

Oh my god, I arrived at the theater for King Arthur at 3:40.  My mom bought me tickets for the 4 PM show and then left me there to watch the movie by myself. So I begin walking into the theater after spending 6 dollars on water, and I check the ticket and it says 4:40 PM, so they gave me the wrong ticket.  Then I couldn't exchange it for the 4 PM show because I only have 1 dollar left in my pocket, and the 4 PM show is in 3D so I needed to pay an extra 4 dollars.  So I pretty much had to wait an hour for the show to start, and there's still 20 minutes left to wait.  Yikes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Summer 2017 will have numerous decent hits to make up for not having one mega hit like a Jurassic World

that would be good. I prefer the wealth to be spread

3 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

Oh my god, I arrived at the theater for King Arthur at 3:40.  My mom bought me tickets for the 4 PM show and then left me there to watch the movie by myself. So I begin walking into the theater after spending 6 dollars on water, and I check the ticket and it says 4:40 PM, so they gave me the wrong ticket.  Then I couldn't exchange it for the 4 PM show because I only have 1 dollar left in my pocket, and the 4 PM show is in 3D so I needed to pay an extra 4 dollars.  So I pretty much had to wait an hour for the show to start, and there's still 20 minutes left to wait.  Yikes.

Sounds like the plot to a Seinfeld episode.

• Like 8