grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

8 hours ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Power Rangers over Mummy OW?

I'm being pessimistic, so I think Mummy might make 25 million opening weekend and finish its run with 50 million or less.

Now overseas grosses will be another question. Power Rangers died overseas. The Mummy might make in China alone, more than Power Rangers entire overseas numbers. So, there's that.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alli said:

The forecast for the reboot has only gotten scarier from there — at least domestically. One of the industry’s most respected polling services, NRG, downgraded its projection to $38 million last week and to $35 million on Monday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-showdown-mummy-mortal-danger-losing-wonder-woman-1010543

Ouch. It had better really explode overseas.

3 hours ago, Alli said:

The forecast for the reboot has only gotten scarier from there — at least domestically. One of the industry’s most respected polling services, NRG, downgraded its projection to $38 million last week and to $35 million on Monday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-showdown-mummy-mortal-danger-losing-wonder-woman-1010543

Wasn't this tracking between $40-50M a few weeks ago? Shades of Fantastic Four 2015.

Funnily enough, a sequel to that movie was once set to open on this date until that movie bombed and they pulled (and later Lionsgate moved the fourth Divergent to this weekend, which was of course also cancelled after the third flopped). Did a voodoo priestess curse this weekend? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm being pessimistic, so I think Mummy might make 25 million opening weekend and finish its run with 50 million or less.

Now overseas grosses will be another question. Power Rangers died overseas. The Mummy might make in China alone, more than Power Rangers entire overseas numbers. So, there's that.

A sub two multiplier?  This isn't a Zach Snyder movie and it's June.  Even F4 had a better multiplier and opening than that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wasn't this tracking between $40-50M a few weeks ago? Shades of Fantastic Four 2015.

Funnily enough, a sequel to that movie was once set to open on this date until that movie bombed and they pulled (and later Lionsgate moved the fourth Divergent to this weekend, which was of course also cancelled after the third flopped). Did a voodoo priestess curse this weekend? 

I at least hopes Mummy gets higher than 9% on RT but if I get a film experience like the one I hd for F4ntastic, it'll be a great time.

42 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A sub two multiplier?  This isn't a Zach Snyder movie and it's June.  Even F4 had a better multiplier and opening than that.

Or a Russos brothers movie, Civil war 2.27x

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

5 showings for Mummy on Thursday. 6 tickets sold. Will be interested to check on Thursday morning as I think a few of those showings might've just been added.

Mine has two showings so far in medium size theaters with 6 tickets sold

Mummy at my 1st local - 1 2d, 1 3d showing...

2d - 4/110

3d - 1/110

It is currently set for 2 screens, 1 2d and 1 3d, for the weekend with 10 showings (4 3d, 6 2d)

Mummy at my 2nd local - 1 2d, 1 3d showing...

2d - 14/100

3d - 5/100

It is currently set for 2 screens, 1 2d and 1 3d, for the weekend with 9 showings (4 3d, 5 2d)

It's not catastrophic sales if you expect a $20-$40M opener...I mean, these show it's probably gonna hit double digits b/c it's sold something:)...some films sell nothing at this point...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Is that an alternative fact where 2.27 is supposed to be sub 2.0?  B)

2x...

Is there other film with 80%+ on Rotten tomatoes  that had x2.27 legs that civil war had? (Maybe horror movies ) Did you find the legs of Civil War at least decent? I found it terrible, even more with a movie with good reviews, I do not think there is another famous movie that has +80% reviews on RT and has legs of only x2.27.

Edited by bruchav
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bruchav said:

2x...

Is there other film with 80%+ on Rotten tomatoes  that had x2.27 legs that civil war had? (Maybe horror movies ) Did you find the legs of Civil War at least decent? I found it terrible, even more with a movie with good reviews, I do not think there is another famous movie that has +80% reviews on RT and has legs of only x2.27.

This isn't the Marvel vs DC thread.

• Like 6

On 5/31/2017 at 3:26 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The Boss Baby and The Fate of the Furious are gone.

Wonder Woman: 11 (5 2D/6 3D; Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest)

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie: 5 (3 2D/2 3D; Average)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 8 (Flat; 5 2D/3 3D; 2nd Biggest and Smallest)

Baywatch: 5 (Down 3; 2nd Smallest and 3rd Smallest)

Alien: Covenant: 4 (Down 3; Average)

Everything, Everything: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: 4 (Flat; 3 2D/1 3D; Average and Smallest)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul: 3 (Down 2; 3rd Smallest)

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword: 2 (Down 2 and Lost 3D; Average)

Snatched: 2 (Down 3; Average)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Alien: Covenant, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, and Snatched are gone.

The Mummy: 8 (4 2D/4 3D; Average and 4th Smallest)

It Comes at Night: 4 (Average)

Megan Leavey: 4 (Average)

Wonder Woman: 11 (Flat; 5 2D/6 3D; Biggest, Average, and Smallest)

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest)

Baywatch: 4 (Down 1; 2nd Smallest)

Everything, Everything: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: 4 (Flat and Lost 3D; Average)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 4 (Down 4; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan

I'm actually pretty surprised by the low buzz/tracking for Mummy. I know it's a remake nobody asked for, but I thought Cruise had won back some goodwill. And I thought the trailers looked neat, even though a lot of it has been seen before.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I'm actually pretty surprised by the low buzz/tracking for Mummy. I know it's a remake nobody asked for, but I thought Cruise had won back some goodwill. And I thought the trailers looked neat, even though a lot of it has been seen before.

Outside of the M:I series, his movies haven't opened that great. Edge of Tomorrow was $28M, Jack Reacher 2 $22M. Now, Oblivion did do $37M... 4 years ago.

Also, the bolded part could be the problem, at least stateside, for The Mummy. It doesn't seem to offer that much new.

Edited by TheMovieman