grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

23 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Aren't ads generated based on what a person's Internet history or searches are?

I don't think so. I mean I've looked nothing up that would relate to that film. In fact my most recent searches (past month) have all been medical school related. My fiancé got the same exact ad too. 

I think its IP based on location and then the video you're playing. For example, when I play a different video, I don't get that ad. The people who put the ads just assume that the folks who are watching a particular video, will be interested in that product. 

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What Google-related searches would even get associated with Happy Death Day anyway? "How to get away with murder" (and not just the Viola Davis TV show)?

I imagine any movie related search or click could get you more points in an algorithm toward a movie trailer instead of a car or fashion product ads, no ? No need to be about a movie in particular.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tickets are now on sale for American Assassin and mother! The former is getting the biggest auditorium while the latter is in an average one at my theater

This... makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looking at what size auditoriums Disney Springs is putting upcoming releases in:

Home Again is going in their biggest while It is getting the second biggest size. They have one other auditorium with 353 seats, so I imagine It gets that one too.

American Assassin is in a 153 seat auditorium while mother! is in a 130 seat one. Both will probably get a Dine-In screen too.

I think the trend seen at my theater and Disney Springs will probably be common practice. mother! is still a horror movie and will make the bulk of its gross during the evening, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put it in a bigger auditorium even if it'll be in the Top 2 that weekend.

Also, I don't think American Assassin is doing Thursday previews. No theater has Thursday showings up for AA, yet there are mother! previews. Keep in mind only AMCs have tickets up now, but they all have tickets for both films on Friday.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think the trend seen at my theater and Disney Springs will probably be common practice. mother! is still a horror movie and will make the bulk of its gross during the evening, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put it in a bigger auditorium even if it'll be in the Top 2 that weekend.

Also, I don't think American Assassin is doing Thursday previews. No theater has Thursday showings up for AA, yet there are mother! previews. Keep in mind only AMCs have tickets up now, but they all have tickets for both films on Friday.

Perhaps American Assassin isn't being screened for critics. Wouldn't surprise me, it reminds me of Abduction.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 2:07 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Atomic Blonde, Detroit, Kidnap, and War for the Planet of the Apes are gone.

Leap!: 6 (Average)

All Saints: 5 (2nd Biggest and Average)

Birth of the Dragon: 5 (Average)

Terminator 2: Judgement Day 3D: 5 (Average)

Despicable Me 3: 4 (3rd Smallest)

Baby Driver: 2 (Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 2 (2nd Smallest)

Annabelle: Creation: 5 (2nd Biggest and Average)

The Hitman's Bodyguard: 5 (Down 1; Biggest)

Logan Lucky: 5 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 5 (Flat; Average)

Dunkirk: 3 (Down 2; 2nd Smallest)

The Emoji Movie: 3 (Down 2; Smallest)

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature: 3 (Down 2; Average)

The Dark Tower: 2 (Down 4; Average)

Girls Trip: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Baby Driver, The Dark Tower, and Girls Trip are gone.

Wind River: 4 (Average)

The Big Sick: 2 (Return; Average)

Cars 3: 2 (Return; 2nd Smallest)

All Saints: 4 (Down 1; Biggest)

Annabelle: Creation: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Birth of the Dragon: 4 (Down 1; Smallest)

The Hitman's Bodyguard: 4 (Down 1; 2nd Biggest and Average)

Leap!: 4 (Down 2; 2nd Biggest and Average)

Logan Lucky: 4 (Down 1; 4th Smallest)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Despicable Me 3: 2 (Down 2; 3rd Smallest)

Dunkirk: 2 (Down 1; 2nd Smallest)

The Emoji Movie: 2 (Down 1; Average)

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature: 2 (Down 1; Average)

Terminator 2: Judgement Day 3D: 2 (Down 3; Average)

Wonder Woman: 2 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

@CJohn Fall hours hath begun :ohmygod: The last showing for any movie is now at 8 PM on weekdays and Sunday (First shows are at 11 AM during the week and 10 AM Friday-Sunday). Leap has the 2nd Biggest only for its evening show because they needed to get another showing of THB in before close. Before the summer, the final show was normally at 8:30 Sunday-Thursday while opening was at 10 or even 9:30. The past month they've been opening at 11 from Monday-Thursday, and that's staying the same this fall from the looks of it.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@CJohn Fall hours hath begun :ohmygod: The last showing for any movie is now at 8 PM on weekdays and Sunday (First shows are at 11 AM during the week and 10 AM Friday-Sunday). Leap has the 2nd Biggest only for its evening show because they needed to get another showing of THB in before close. Before the summer, the final show was normally at 8:30 Sunday-Thursday while opening was at 10 or even 9:30. The past month they've been opening at 11 from Monday-Thursday, and that's staying the same this fall from the looks of it.

AMC mentioned cutting costs was a priority they started end of July and will continue into 2018.  They mentioned this included fewer temp shifts, cutting some early showings, and then cancelling some corporate positions they were previously looking to fill.  Honestly it makes sense for them to be a little more strategic with expenses after getting stung this summer

• Like 1