grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Watch them give Wind River the second biggest instead of an additional It screen next week :lol: 

As it should be. Hail your theater.

• Haha 1

Tomorrow at my theater:

Wind River's morning show has sold thirteen tickets with nothing else for the day

Logan Lucky has sold three tickets in the morning and two for the main evening show

SMH's main evening show has sold four tickets

THB's morning show has sold two tickets

Nut Job's 2nd show has sold two tickets

WW's late show has sold two tickets

Annabelle's morning show has sold one ticket

All Saints, The Big Sick, Birth of the Dragon, Cars, DM3, Dunkirk, Emoji, Leap!, and Terminator 2 have sold nothing

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Deadline's aiming big, according to a new interview with the director

It continues to build out-sized tracking numbers that have some whispering the film could exceed a $70 million and even hit $80 million when it opens September 8. 

New article link quote is from : https://www.google.com/amp/deadline.com/2017/08/it-movie-andy-muschietti-barbara-muschietti-stephen-king-remake-interview-1202159135/amp/

• Like 1

IT kinda reminds me of 300 from ten years ago in that it's looking to reach a level nobody thought was previously possible for the genre in a month not known for producing megahits. I followed box office at the time and nothing indicated that movie was gonna open to $70M in March, not even the amazing marketing campaign WB pulled together for it (Constantine, Sin City, and V for Vendetta were the most comparable titles at the time and yet it almost made more than each did in total on just its opening weekend). IT has no equal in terms of hype for a horror movie so a similar opening of $70M would automatically be nutty and $80M would be even more insane. Very excited to see how this opening plays out.

The early tracking for Kingsman and Ninjago is great too. These three alone are looking to make up for the mostly miserable period following the Dunkirk/Girls Trip weekend.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IT kinda reminds me of 300 from ten years ago in that it's looking to reach a level nobody thought was previously possible for the genre in a month not known for producing megahits. I followed box office at the time and nothing indicated that movie was gonna open to $70M in March, not even the amazing marketing campaign WB pulled together for it (Constanine, Sin City, and V for Vendetta were the most comparable titles at the time and yet it almost made more than each did in total on just its opening weekend). IT has no equal in terms of hype for a horror movie so a similar opening of $70M would automatically be nutty and $80M would be even more insane. Very excited to see how this opening plays out.

The early tracking for Kingsman and Ninjago is great too. These three alone are looking to make up for the mostly miserable period following the Dunkirk/Girls Trip weekend.

September has proven it can have big OW with HT 1 and 2 and Insidious Part 2 but IT is more akin not only to 300 but American Sniper, I'm still shocked how big it was on OW. 

Kingsman and Ninjago in any other year would have been dominated September but two $40m+ OW in the same weekend is still great. WB probably would be pleased with $35m with Ninjago as that would be on par with other September animation that isn't HT 1 and 2. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tomorrow at my theater:

Wind River's morning show has sold thirteen tickets with nothing else for the day

Logan Lucky has sold three tickets in the morning and two for the main evening show

SMH's main evening show has sold four tickets

THB's morning show has sold two tickets

Nut Job's 2nd show has sold two tickets

WW's late show has sold two tickets

Annabelle's morning show has sold one ticket

All Saints, The Big Sick, Birth of the Dragon, Cars, DM3, Dunkirk, Emoji, Leap!, and Terminator 2 have sold nothing

giphy.gif

You know the box office is fucking dire when two movies who opened in the begginings of June and July respectively are still outselling the vast majority of everything else.

I'm still crossing fingers for a small overperformance from Wind River to threaten THB's #1 stay, otherwise... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Save us, Pennywise.

• Like 2

Update for my theater:

Wind River's first show is up to 20 tickets now, but the rest of the day still hasn't sold anything.

WW's first evening show has sold 4 tickets.

Annabelle lost that one ticket for the morning show.

Everything else is the same.

The parking lot is gonna be DEAD

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Update for my theater:

Wind River's first show is up to 20 tickets now, but the rest of the day still hasn't sold anything.

WW's first evening show has sold 4 tickets.

Annabelle lost that one ticket for the morning show.

Everything else is the same.

The parking lot is gonna be DEAD

Parking lot updates are gonna be good this weekend.

From Box Office Pro:  

"IT continues to trend in unprecedented territory for a horror release. Social media footprints — even with restrictive search strings due to the generic film title — have been noticeably stronger than The Conjuring, Annabelle, and Insidious: Chapter 2. All signs point to a true event horror film."

They increased their prediction to $70m+.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2017 at 10:12 PM, YourMother said:

IT 

North Shore Cinema (9/7/17: 11 days before release)

7:00 - 26/301 - Ultrascreen 

10:00 - 2/301 - Ultrascreen 

12:00 - 2/144

30/746 - 4% of tickets sold.

Seems pretty solid for a non superhero movie.

IT

North Shore Cinema (9/7/17: 5 days before release)

7:00 - 52/301 Ultrascreen 

10:00 - 11/301 Ultrascreen 

12:00 - 7/144

70/746 - 9.3% of tickets sold

Outpacing Dunkirk and Apes

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

8:30 PM at my Cinemark sold out, 7:00 about 60% filled, 10:20 sold 4 seats, midnight show sold 2 seats.  Pretty good considering that theater is more walkup based for anything not named Star Wars or Girls Trip.

AMC at 7:00 is about 55-60% full, 10:45 is about 10-15% full.  Also solid.  Again, it's a theater that's a lot more walkup based.

My theater for It:

Thursday: 20/78

Friday:

10:15: 8/78

1:15: 0/78

4:30: 5/78

7:00: 15/124

10:15: 12/124

Saturday:

10:15: 11/78

1:15: 0/78

4:30: 3/78

7:00: 11/124

10:15: 0/124

Sunday hasn't sold anything yet. Home Again has sold two tickets for Thursday night.