grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

There's always a lot of factors to consider when looking at presales. I certainly agree that ticket sales most likely received a quick burst as soon as they were available. A similar thing happened with Dunkirk. And, when making a count on Pulse, you have to consider the demographics as well. Family films will pop up half as often but end up selling twice as much. And, naturally, you have to consider the competition.

I expected IT to dominate as soon as tickets were available so everything so far is very expected to me. At the same time, none of us can deny that everything is still pointing towards breakout. Box office is as dead as expected and about to get deader, its lighting up presales and marketing has been on point. What I'm most curious about is how quickly will it show up on MT. And how long before it just takes the top spot of Pulse and stays there.

Looking around Orlando, only large theaters (16+ screens) are getting Good Time and Ingrid Goes West, and even then not all are getting both (IE Disney Springs has Good Time but not Ingrid). I'll take a guess and say their TCs are between 600-700 theaters. Wind River is expanding to a couple midsize theaters too,

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

AMC giving a free digital download of Baby Driver if you watch it at their theaters this weekend

If I didn't buy physical media, that'd have been a fantastic deal.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deep Wang update:

- By end of day, IT will have sold double the presales that Dark Tower had on Tuesday of release week. So it will be way outpacing that comp

:jeb!: 

It's definitely not going under 50M

Triple post, but eh: http://deadline.com/2017/08/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-global-ppv-record-weak-domestic-box-office-hitmans-bodyguard-birth-of-a-dragon-leap-1202154166/

Leap!'s TC is at 2,570

Dragon's is now at 1,600

All Saints' TC has been revised down to 700 theaters :rofl: 

Also, Nut Job is only losing a little over 900 theaters:

1 1 The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Open Road Films 3,090 -913 -22.8% 3
6 32 Maudie Sony Classics 96 -28 -22.6% 20
7 22 Brigsby Bear Sony Classics 94 -314 -77.0% 5
Edited by WrathOfHan

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Triple post, but eh: http://deadline.com/2017/08/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-global-ppv-record-weak-domestic-box-office-hitmans-bodyguard-birth-of-a-dragon-leap-1202154166/

Leap!'s TC is at 2,570

Dragon's is now at 1,600

All Saints' TC has been revised down to 700 theaters :rofl: 

Also, Nut Job is only losing a little over 900 theaters:

1 1 The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Open Road Films 3,090 -913 -22.8% 3
6 32 Maudie Sony Classics 96 -28 -22.6% 20
7 22 Brigsby Bear Sony Classics 94 -314 -77.0% 5

As expected. At worse, it will be 6th this weekend and it might somehow repeat at 5th again. No way that many theaters were gonna drop it as some people were talking about in the weekend thread.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Yes? I don't see why not. Its not close to any existing IT club I think.

Just wanted to check and make sure I didn't miss anything that would resemble one 

Edited by Nova

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm curious as to how American Assassin will fare with its R rating (and apparently it's a hard R too).

The rating in itself should probably not be too much of a big deal

Similar movie with a pg-13 rating first weekend according to cinemascore

3 days to kill: 80% over 25

Jack reacher 1: 76% over 25

Jack Reacher 2: 82% over 25

Bourne: played so old that they used an over 35 metric (60%)

Considering that the 17 to 24 are more than 18% of the ticket sold annually... and would be most of that 15-20% those under 25 audience for movie like those and not affected by the R-rating either, that does not leave many at the door.

Seeing John Wick success I imagine the hard R is not a plan either.

IT is #4 on MT with 5.5%.

That will go up as I believe it has only been open for presales about 22 hours.  Additionally some theaters didn't have showings listed til later.  Many only have Thursday night showings lasted still in my area so it'll get more sales as Friday/Saturday/Sunday begin to show listings for all.

AMC has a small 1000pt promo for opening night so I bought 10 tickets through the Stubs app. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tonight at my theater:

5:00 Leap: 0/63

7:00 All Saints: 0/78

7:00 Dragon: 4/78

7:00 Leap: 0/67

7:00 Terminator: 0/69

9:20 Terminator: 0/78

9:30 Dragon: 0/78

9:40 All Saints: 0/78

10:00 Leap: 0/69