grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Star Wars has reached the status where the public knows they won't get OD tickets unless they buy early.

My Saturday IMAX showing was half sold when I bought my tickets.  I was in the fandango line within 30 minutes of tickets being on sale

Very early reports from Birmingham AL. 

Thursday preview showtimes : 42 - 0 sellout at the moment

Friday showtimes : 73 - 0 sellout

At the end of their first day of presales, TFA had 4 sellouts out of 54 showings and Rogue One had 2 sellouts out of 39 showings.  TFA started 58 days before release, while R1 started only 16 days before release.  TLJ is 65 days before release. 

I will have a better comparison at the end of the day. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

What do you mean by "family tickets"?

Since the UK has actual age restriction on tickets I'd assume in this case family tickets means buying children tickets.

@Boxofficerules, no since US ratings under R are just suggestions (parental guidance) and where even if it's R rated if accompanied by an adult children can see films.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Since the UK has actual age restriction on tickets I'd assume in this case family tickets means buying children tickets.

@Boxofficerules, no since US ratings under R are just suggestions (parental guidance) and where even if it's R rated if accompanied by an adult children can see films.

Nope, as a Brit myself, I can say family tickets are discounted bundles of 2 adult tickets and 2 child tickets. As you mentioned, since we have strict age restrictions, we cannot buy family or child tickets until the film is rated by the bbfc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Nope, as a Brit myself, I can say family tickets are discounted bundles of 2 adult tickets and 2 child tickets. As you mentioned, since we have strict age restrictions, we cannot buy family or child tickets until the film is rated by the bbfc.

that's interesting.  Thanks for the info :) 

yeah here in the US, you can buy adult or child tickets at any time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 75Live said:

that's interesting.  Thanks for the info :) 

yeah here in the US, you can buy adult or child tickets at any time.

Yeah typically it's not an issue as films are rated plentifully early ahead of ticket sales. Last Jedi is a special case as it went on sale some 60 days(!!) early.

Deep Wang Updates:

- TLJ in 16 hours is about 40% ahead of where Rogue One was in 12 hours. Based on that pace, it should end the day around 30-35% ahead of Rogue One's first 24 hours

- Thor is about 72% of Guardians 2 at the same point in time before release

- Bad Moms 2 has more presales already than the first one ended with, but that is to be somewhat expected

- A few JL tickets have been bought (guessing either Corporate Buys, or internal buys), and those are enough to give it the 4th highest presales among upcoming movies, no idea when tickets actually go on sale yet

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deep Wang Updates:

- TLJ in 16 hours is about 40% ahead of where Rogue One was in 12 hours. Based on that pace, it should end the day around 30-35% ahead of Rogue One's first 24 hours

- Thor is about 72% of Guardians 2 at the same point in time before release

- Bad Moms 2 has more presales already than the first one ended with, but that is to be somewhat expected

- A few JL tickets have been bought (guessing either Corporate Buys, or internal buys), and those are enough to give it the 4th highest presales among upcoming movies, no idea when tickets actually go on sale yet

Do we have TFA's #s? That is easily the 2nd-best pre-sale day ever, maybe #1 (wouldn't shock me with the growth of pre-sales, plus SW is the absolute top-end franchise on # of pre-sales). Expected but still impressive since we are much farther out from release than when RO tickets went on sale.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Do we have TFA's #s? That is easily the 2nd-best pre-sale day ever, maybe #1 (wouldn't shock me with the growth of pre-sales, SW is the absolute top-end franchise on # of pre-sales). Expected but still impressive since we are much farther out from release than when RO tickets went on sale.

We don't have access to TFA's numbers, unfortunately. Anecdotally I assume TFA is #1.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

We don't have access to TFA's numbers, unfortunately.

Thought so. Really don't know if TLJ will come super close to TFA's preview #. That was kinda a perfect storm. Though the juiced up prices for the Fan Events will help. I expect that to become a trend with the larger franchise films over the next couple years. I see a lot of the later showings selling better than the Fan Event tickets, the 6pm start time will make it inconvenient, especially with the higher price, but there are enough hardcore SW fans to have those sellout eventually.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1