grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

So, totally off topic, but not really...

Pretty much every Tuesday, we see a new Bollywood release make the movietickets.com Top 5...It's happened again today...

Now, I know in 2017 my local theater has become one of the premier hot spots to catch these flicks and I was wondering...other than area popularity and the seemingly one-week only needs for booking these films, do these foreign studios make the local theaters pay as much back in revenue for screening the films?  I mean, we've seen the ask for Star Wars movies, and then normal domestic movies...and I was wondering where the ask for these movies falls, especially since my local has decided to experiment with one movie early in the year and now routinely books 3 per week in some form (not even always a full screen)...is this a trend we'll see more and more b/c maybe it benefits the local theaters more?

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, totally off topic, but not really...

Pretty much every Tuesday, we see a new Bollywood release make the movietickets.com Top 5...It's happened again today...

Now, I know in 2017 my local theater has become one of the premier hot spots to catch these flicks and I was wondering...other than area popularity and the seemingly one-week only needs for booking these films, do these foreign studios make the local theaters pay as much back in revenue for screening the films?  I mean, we've seen the ask for Star Wars movies, and then normal domestic movies...and I was wondering where the ask for these movies falls, especially since my local has decided to experiment with one movie early in the year and now routinely books 3 per week in some form (not even always a full screen)...is this a trend we'll see more and more b/c maybe it benefits the local theaters more?

I'm sure that's the case...though I assume it effects the terms (in favor of the studio) that the movie is only shown for such a short time?  

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

I’m trying to figure out why is there such a big disconnect between the two.

I can’t remembera time where the info they give us are so vastly different.

Imagine you have a bowl of cereal in front of you right now.  If you dip a spoon into the bowl and remove it, you have a small portion of the cereal that you can see.  

EmpireCity has the bowl, Deep Wang has the spoon. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

Imagine you have a bowl of cereal in front of you right now.  If you dip a spoon into the bowl and remove it, you have a small portion of the cereal that you can see.  

so what is the cereal and what does it represent? 

On 11/5/2017 at 11:31 AM, YourMother said:

Daddy’s Home 2

North Shore Cinema

11/9/17 (4 days before previews, 5 before release)

Mequon, WI

5:00 - 1/139

7:30 - 5/139

10:00 - 1/139

Things aren’t looking well for DH2 at my theater. I’m thinking sub $20M OW may happen. Selling 11% of Baywatch and 30% of DM3.

Murder On The Orient Express

North Shore Cinema

11/9/17 (4 days before previews, 5 before release)

Mequon, WI

7:00 - 6/116

10:00 - 0/116

Things also aren’t well for OE. I’ll find comparisons for both later.

The Star

North Shore Cinema (11 days before previews, 12 before release)

11/16/17

Mequon, WI

5:00 - 5/122

7:30 - 5/122

10:00 - 5/122

Pretty solid start for a animated movie presales wise. Running at 62.5% of DM3 at about the same time.

Daddy’s Home 2

North Shore Cinema

11/9/17 (2 days before previews, 3 before release)

Mequon, WI

5:00 - 4/139

6:30 - 0/98

7:30 - 11/139

9:00 - 0/98

10:00 - 2/139

Running about 35% of Baby Driver at the same time. Not good.

Murder On The Orient Express

North Shore Cinema

11/9/17 (2 days before previews, 3 before release)

Mequon, WI

7:00 - 14/116

8:00 - 1/68

10:00 - 4/116

10:45 - 1/68

Running about 41% of Dunkirk. Seems solid for a $20M+ OW.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Posting during my vacation as Deep Wang provided an update today:

- JL is ahead of BvS and about 25% ahead of where Thor was at the same point in time

- Orient Express is fine I guess, higher than American Assassin

- Daddy's Home 2 is bad, about a fourth of Bad Moms 2 and less than half of Orient Express

- Wonder is the same gross number as Orient Express but has a week to go

- Roman Israel has sold 1 ticket

Alright, back to the pool. See you guys Thursday.

This is great news.... this correlate to the 3 theaters that im tracking around my area ... the reserve seating is similar to BvS when I was tracking it.

Nonetheless Im expecting this to skyrocket next week.

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

I’m trying to figure out why is there such a big disconnect between the two.

I can’t remembera time where the info they give us are so vastly different.

Because presales are very slippery. There's no easy trend-line to compare movie to movie. Even when there's other franchise movies, release date, the current temperature of the market, and a million other little variables can skew stuff all over the place. There's also the question of how dramatically presales increase the week of release -- some movies have stronger final weeks than others. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

25% ahead of Thor is not great. But staying ahead of BvS is good. Let us see where it ends. 

Well if its 25% of Thor then 150mil should be the Tracking Number  which I don’t think is a bad Start until Thursday previews numbers hit and then That Number will rise.

IMHO JL can /Will match BVS Thursday Number and if that happens then 170will be the floor.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 2

Very interesting presales.  BvS had a longer window for sales, Feb 29th to March 24th for a total of 25 days.  JL is Oct 30th to Nov 16th, 18 days.  

Perhaps JL is ahead of BvS after 9 days for both being on sale?  If so then it's not much of an indicator.  If on the other hand JL is ahead of BvS with 9 days until release then it is a good sign.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MattW said:

Very interesting presales.  BvS had a longer window for sales, Feb 29th to March 24th for a total of 25 days.  JL is Oct 30th to Nov 16th, 18 days.  

Perhaps JL is ahead of BvS after 9 days for both being on sale?  If so then it's not much of an indicator.  If on the other hand JL is ahead of BvS with 9 days until release then it is a good sign.  

Yes I would imagine DeepWang info is base on how many days left before release .. I mean who would do it the other way around, makes no sense .. but I digress.

Heck that first day alone took down Fandango :D

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

25% ahead of Thor is not great. But staying ahead of BvS is good. Let us see where it ends. 

For BvS, like Tele said it is hard to compare year-to-year (or actually 18 months later) presales - if presales are increasing for all movies in general.

What my theater looks like:

Daddy's Home 2 113 2147 5.26%
Orient Express 127 1269 10.01%
Justice League 489 1921 25.46%
Wonder 118 1294 9.12%
Coco 4 2464 0.16%
Star Wars 2310 4330 53.35%

For some reason, they doubled Daddy's Home 2 showtimes from 4 to 8, even though Orient Express has been selling more at the same point in time. Wonder has seen a pretty big boost as I mentioned earlier, and looks to benefit from being the first PG film since My Little Pony. Coco just started selling tickets today, so that's why the presales numbers are so low.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boner Omega said:

uh oh....