grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, raegr said:

58.2 tickets per min for JL when I checked 30 mins ago. 

I tried 2 movies, JL and Thor, for a minute just now (using the corner time technique) - that's hard:)...anyway, JL was 53, The Star was 3...and Wonder was in between the two but I couldn't keep 3 numbers in my head:)...and I sure couldn't do that for 5 minutes - good on you all!

EDIT: One hour later and I get 81 for JL and 1 for The Star...well, better for JL!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think the size of Thur night previews for Wonder indicate it's sales aren't just being pushed because schools are buying up tickets.  By why is Star getting double the screenings... Did @TwoMisfits do the scheduling? :ph34r:

Some theaters are desperate for a family film like mine (has the fourth biggest amount of showings at a 12 screen theater) and The Star starts previews at 5:00 pm.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think the size of Thur night previews for Wonder indicate it's sales aren't just being pushed because schools are buying up tickets.  By why is Star getting double the screenings... Did @TwoMisfits do the scheduling? :ph34r:

It's got the best RT rating of the 3 at 100% right now, of course:)...and b/c all 3 movies are gonna be sky-high this weekend, but they need the screens and showings to do it - theater owners know how to make that happen!:)...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I tried 2 movies, JL and Thor, for a minute just now (using the corner time technique) - that's hard:)...anyway, JL was 53, The Star was 3...and Wonder was in between the two but I couldn't keep 3 numbers in my head:)...and I sure couldn't do that for 5 minutes - good on you all!

It's much easier to do 2 than 3 when there are a lot of tickets being sold.  

It also helps when posters look a lot different.  A pox upon Fandango for changing the bright blue Wonder  poster into that family photo that melds into the background.  :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lincoln Center is the biggest IMAX screen in NYC.  (most other IMAX showing in NYC aren't doing nearly as well)  The first showing almost always sells out for CBM or is at 90%+.   Usually they're at 70-80% a day or two after tickets go on sale.

LC started off with 5 screens for JL and added another two about a week ago.

By Thur Preview night at LC:

CW: 13 screens, 2 sellouts 

GOTG 2: 7 screens

WW: 7 screens

SMHC: 7 screens, 1 sellout

THOR 3: 9 screens, 1 sellout

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest it was doing above the norm, but was just responding to the statement that previews were dead there.  But very useful context

• Like 1

I've been looking up Roman J. Israel, Esq.'s sales at the limited theaters it's showing at with reserved seating and it's selling like shit. Oof. Remember when I said even arthouse crowds are becoming fickle?

Meanwhile, I looked at the sales for both Darkest Hour and Call Me by Your Name at the Hollywood Arclight next week and the former has sold not even a sixth (and that's being charitable) of what the latter has sold across the extended holiday weekends combined (it's also selling extremely well at City Cinemas Paris Theatre in NY too). The latter is clearly headed for a monstrous $80K+ (at the minimum) PTA from the 4 theaters, though I'm sure the former will do just fine as it expands even if it doesn't set the world on fire next week.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I've been looking up Roman J. Israel, Esq.'s sales at the limited theaters it's showing at with reserved seating and it's selling like shit. Oof. Remember when I said even arthouse crowds are becoming fickle?

Meanwhile, I looked at the sales for both Darkest Hour and Call Me by Your Name at the Hollywood Arclight next week and the former has sold not even a sixth (and that's being charitable) of what the latter has sold across the extended holiday weekends combined (it's also selling extremely well at City Cinemas Paris Theatre in NY too). The latter is clearly headed for a monstrous $80K+ (at the minimum) PTA from the 4 theaters, though I'm sure the former will do just fine as it expands even if it doesn't set the world on fire next week.

Call Me By Your Name will be a beast.

Interesting though what takes off and gets buzz and what doesn't.  The gay romance God's Own Country also premiered at Sundance to excellent reviews - not as transcendent as CMBYN but still great (99% 8.2 avg) yet opened in two theaters to little fanfare.  It probably won't come near $1m nor any awards talk

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gods_own_country_2017

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=godsowncountry.htm

Meanwhile Darkest Hour has been getting Oscar buzz for months for Oldman and yet the film's reviews are good not great (and it's the 3rd or 4th Churchill performance over the last year).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Interesting though what takes off and gets buzz and what doesn't.  The gay romance God's Own Country also premiered at Sundance to excellent reviews - not as transcendent as CMBYN but still great (99% 8.2 avg) yet opened in two theaters to little fanfare.  It probably won't come near $1m nor any awards talk

The perks of having bigger names involved.

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would not call Roman Isreal  or Darkest Hour arthouse films. They should both do ok once in wider expansion.  Call Me Your Name is probably going to have a tougher time finding an audience outside the coasts after a huge PTA.

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I would not call Roman Isreal  or Darkest Hour arthouse films. They should both do ok once in wider expansion.  Call Me Your Name is probably going to have a tougher time finding an audience outside the coasts after a huge PTA.

Roman J. Israel, Esq. really doesn't much of a chance. Mediocre reviews, an odd and not at all marquee-friendly title, a very muted (bordering on nonexistent) marketing campaign. Three strikes not even Denzel's drawing power can overcome. All signs point to it joining the many Thanksgiving turkeys from years past.

57 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Meanwhile Darkest Hour has been getting Oscar buzz for months for Oldman and yet the film's reviews are good not great (and it's the 3rd or 4th Churchill performance over the last year).

Call Me By Your Name is adapted from a book, it's considered one of the great gay novels of the last 10 years apparently, that gave it a bigger following from the start compared to an original film with much less name recognition in front of/behind the camera. Not that Hammer and Chalamet are A-list household names, but look at how much of the God's Own Country talent doesn't even their own Wikipedia pages. 

Even AwardsWatch isn't all that excited about God's Own Country, that should tell you all you need to know about its box office prospects. ;)

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Roman J. Israel, Esq. really doesn't much of a chance. Mediocre reviews, an odd and not at all marquee-friendly title, a very muted (bordering on nonexistent) marketing campaign. Three strikes not even Denzel's drawing power can overcome. All signs point to it joining the many Thanksgiving turkeys from years past.

Eh, we'll see, even The GReat Debaters got to 30m. Which is the total i see for this one. 

Justice League 1309 3713 35.25%
Wonder 524 1507 34.77%

Super solid for both. For comp's sake, JL is above Thor by about 43% or so. Wonder also got a huge boost thanks to Saturday and Sunday matinees.

Don't want to do any other movies, because I'm super tired.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Specialty movies live and die with reviews these days. I don't understand why  Sony didn't just go wide with a Denzel movie.

Tonight at my theater:

JL:

6:00: 63/124

6:00 3D: 8/78

6:45 3D: 20/78

7:30: 59/113

8:15: 8/78

8:45 3D: 2/78

Total: 160/549

Wonder: 26/78

The Star:

5:00: 6/69

7:15: 0/69

Total: 6/138

JL is running at 85% of Thor at a similar point during the day. Thor had 2 fewer showings than JL, FWIW.

Wonder is 135% of Orient Express and waaaaaaaay the fuck ahead of DH2 :jeb!: These are probably the most encouraging presales for a non-100M opener this fall

The Star is at 40% of MLP :rofl: 

• Like 6