grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Never thought Annhiliation would do well at my theatre, but was starting to hope Game Night could become a comedy breakout here ala Bad Moms or something.

But the snow is supposed to get a lot worse now, turning into a full fledge snowstorm starting Friday so I'm beginning to doubt it now

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Down 1M from the initial 35M on the low end 🤔

My club will be tight

Keep in mind tracking is still a few weeks out so it should go up, and family films are almost always underestimated in tracking. I'd say 50 is a near lock if it's tracking at 34-37 3 weeks out. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KillMongerBeast said:

Suprised that Game Night isn't in the top 5 considering it has a lot more buzz and is tracking better

Game Night's presales looks  so weak. I don't give it more than 16 mln now. May be smth would change in the near hours.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It would be a shame if Annihilation and Game Night both only did $12m, as per THR’s article they just tweeted out. 

Game Night $12-14m

Annihilation $10-12m

Would not be too surprising for Annihilation

Ex Machina: 5.3m

Her: 5.6m

Cloud atlas: 9.6m (an over 100m budget from the Matrix creator Sci-fi starring Hanks, Berry, Grant, etc...)

Children of men: 10.2m

Often if you cannot understand the movie looking at the title poster, 30s clip / one sentence, can be really hard to sell it, even with those names/acclaim some of the above got.

That something Arrival/The Martian/Gravity did really well commercially, almost all in the title/image, maybe need one line for audience to know what the movie will be (Arrival turn it around to make it about something else too).

Game Night felt like a safe winner since the first trailer / concept announced, maybe not Happy Death Day that was just almost 100% certain to work, but still really high, that the type of movie word of mouth can push a bit ? Those very large prediction window for it make sense to me.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Pulse:

1. Black Panther

2. Black Panther 3D

3. Peter Rabbit

4. Black Panther IMAX

5. Fifty Shades

lmao @ Annihilation dropping off the top 5. Over 2 minutes, I only saw 11 tickets for Game Night, 6 for Annihilation, and 2 for Every Day. There is zero reason Peter Rabbit should still be here on a weekday :lol: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Keep in mind tracking is still a few weeks out so it should go up, and family films are almost always underestimated in tracking. I'd say 50 is a near lock if it's tracking at 34-37 3 weeks out. 

Indeed, almost always. Unfortunately not "always", though. Blade Runner 2049 wishes that it really were "always".

44 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Indeed, almost always. Unfortunately not "always", though. Blade Runner 2049 wishes that it really were "always".

Blade Runner 2049 was a family film?