grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

A lot of digital projectors are aging and I suspect once more cinemas switch to Laser projectors, 3D will see an untick but I think we need more films like Gravity or Life of Pi where the film maker have 3D in mind.

I Hope so, because I don't dislike gimmicks for movie theaters if they work properly. I didn't love Skull Island but I had a lot of fun because it was in DBOX. 

I wonder how Interstellar looked in 3D...

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

Last 5 hours of fandango (Avengers is just getting ridiculous):

A Quiet  5917
Avengers 4804
Blockers 1438
Ready Pl 2055
Rampage  1258
Blumhous 588
Black Pa 768
Isle of  523
Tyler Pe 529
Chappaqu 477
I Can On 356
Grease 4 295
Pacific  259
Super Tr 291

To piggyback off of this, Wednesday's total AIW Fandango sales were %144 of Monday & Tuesday's total sales average. Not combined (to unnecessarily repeat) but the average of Monday + Tuesday. Wednesday's standard "Avengers Infinity War" tickets sold %143 of Monday & Tuesday average standard tickets, Wednesday 3D tickets sold %144.7 of M & T avg 3D tickets, Wednesday Imax 2D tickets sold %147 of Monday & Tuesday average Imax 2D tickets, Wednesday Imax 3D tickets sold %147.6 of Monday & Tuesday average Imax 3D tickets, Wednesday Fan Event tickets were %128.7 of M & T avg Fan Event tickets.

Tuesday total and each category sales were actually decreased from Monday's, so I highly doubt this increase is consistent. But can't be definitely sure as I only have the numbers of this week's. 

So Wednesday sales have a noteworthy increase from Monday + Tuesday average sales. Currently we have 11 hours of Fandango sales numbers for today. So I compared the first 11 hours of Thursday vs Wednesday:

Standard Avengers Infinity War tickets sold within first 11 hours of Thursday is %136 of Wednesday's sales at same point. 

3D AIW tickets sold within first 11 hours of Thursday is %149 of Wednesday's 3D sales at same point.

Imax 3D AIW tickets sold within first 11 hours of Thursday is %135 of Wednesday's Imax 3D sales at same point.

Imax 2D AIW tickets sold within first 11 hours of Thursday is %127 of Wednesday's Imax 2D sales at same point. 

Total AIW tickets sold within first 11 hours of Thursday is %137 of total AIW tickets sold in Wednesday in first 11 hours of the day. Keep in mind that today's sales numbers don't include the last 157 seconds of the last hour whereas Wednesday's do, and from my experience, the tracking system adds 100+ to couple hundred sales for AIW at these hours in that 2 minute+ absence. So a couple percentage points might be added to those %s, especially within the categories. 

So it's pacing for a similar increase today against Wednesday sales as did it in Wednesday's sales compared to Monday & Tuesday average. I had tracked Rampage sales this week as well (except today's). AIW's Wednesday increase against Monday & Tuesday avg is considerably below Rampage's Wednesday increase against Monday & Tuesday average so AIW is not acting like Rampage (meaning, a new release for this weekend) in its increasing patterns. But:

a- Sample size is really small. Both for the fact that I tracked 3 and almost half a day of sales for AIW, and 3 days for Rampage and for the fact that I have only one new release in Rampage to compare its increasing pattern to AIW's to see if it's plausible to AIW's last day and a half increase percentage is comparable to a new weekend release. I could add one more comparison in Truth or Dare possibly before Friday's lock time to see how AIW increase patterns hold up against it. 

b- Rampage's Monday sales were really low, so it inflates its increasing pattern a little. Whereas AIW's Monday and Tuesday sales were consistent and as I said earlier, Tuesday actually dropped some compared to Monday. 

c- I'm not good at math, but usually the higher a number is up, the lesser increasing its increasing pattern should be. That would go in favor of AIW compared to Rampage and Truth Or Dare because its sales are so higher. However, I have the feeling this might not be applicable in box office and tickets sales. I've only become interested in box office in the last half a year or so, so would appreciate insight to this. 

Sample size might be small, but the fact that there was a decrease from Monday to Tuesday, and Wednesday sales being %144 of Monday & Tuesday's average, and then Thursday's first 11 hour sales being %137 of Wednesday's first 11 hours, and MovieTickets percentage increases, I think it's safe to conclude that there is a noteworthy increase in AIW sales and also in its increasing pattern as well within this week. 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 4
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Come on guys, admit it no one DID ACTUALLY READ THIS!?

I read it all, because it was interesting. Plus I like numbers, so why wouldn't I read something like that?

Don't be lazy.

• Like 3

Alita battle angel is shot w/ 3D cameras, so the 3D should/will be good.

Its annoying because the sole AMC theater that is near me with leather seat recliners purposely schedules new blockbusters at the most inconvenient times in 2D and gives the best/most popular times to 3D. So, they kind of are forcing you to either choose the shitty old amc thats only .5 mile away from it or choose 3D. Example: through black panthers run on a Friday or Thursday they would show 2D at 12, 4, and then the next showing would be at 10:45pm. The 3D version would be at 7/730 and then sometime around 9. It was so fucking annoying.

Now with infinity war, theres a "real imax" at universal studios AMC thats about 7 miles away and the only option is to watch it in IMAX is in 3D. I really wanted to avoid that but my friend really wanted to try Imax, even though we usually do dolby cinemas. I noticed with recent blockbusters they have been offering 2D  IMAX showings, but of course not with this movie. 

Seriously, I hate this phrase but they need to stop shoving 3D down our throats. No one likes it and its apparent in sales. Shit.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Come on guys, admit it no one DID ACTUALLY READ THIS!?

I did. It was interesting plus it was actual data. For a second I thought it was a Barnack post as it was so detailed and number oriented

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I did. It was interesting plus it was actual data. For a second I thought it was a Barnack post as it was so detailed and number oriented

27 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I read it all, because it was interesting. Plus I like numbers, so why wouldn't I read something like that?

Don't be lazy.

It wasn't meant seriously it's just that I am really lazy right now and it was spontaneous.

I understand though since I have a thing for numbers too. :P

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It wasn't meant seriously it's just that I am really lazy right now and it was spontaneous.

I understand though since I have a thing for numbers too. :P

I think my post may have sounded too serious also! I was being playful with the "Don't be lazy" and now realise that the lack of emoticons makes it seem rudely imperative! :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

IW looks to be about a few percentage points below TLJ on MT at the same point in time.

Two weeks out TLJ had less competition and no new openers

December 1-3, 2017

1 1 Coco BV $27,533,304 -45.8% 3,987 - $6,906 $110,108,708 - 2
2 2 Justice League WB $16,651,104 -59.5% 3,820 -231 $4,359 $197,407,025 - 3
3 3 Wonder LGF $12,147,182 -46.4% 3,449 +277 $3,522 $87,679,805 - 3
4 4 Thor: Ragnarok BV $9,885,936 -41.4% 3,148 -133 $3,140 $291,633,535 $180 5
5 5 Daddy's Home 2 Par. $7,572,390 -42.7% 3,403 -115 $2,225 $82,886,836 $69 4
Edited by TalismanRing

Rampage 123 1711 7.19%

Comps:

61.5% of Jumanji ($22.2M)

110% of Tomb Raider ($25.9M)

143% of Pacific Rim 2 ($40.2M)

The Rock ain't cooking anything good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I think my post may have sounded too serious also! I was being playful with the "Don't be lazy" and now realise that the lack of emoticons makes it seem rudely imperative! :rolleyes:

It's really fine. I have no problem admitting my laziness at certain situations. :P

23 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

IW looks to be about a few percentage points below TLJ on MT at the same point in time.

2 weekends before TLJ opened the combined box office was $105.2m

This weekend will probably be in the $135-150m range

On top of that new openers account for more presales, and that weekend for TLJ added up to less than $2.5m

New openers this weekend will probably total $40-50m

• Like 3