grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Pure family film to me is unlikely. Many kids will have zero interest in this. It's targeting adults and older kids who like/love Pokemon. I think people exaggerate the size of the target market. It's a similar problem that Shazam faced due to darker content and PG-13 rating. Still the target market is much bigger for Pika. 

Anecdotal Evidence I know but from I’ve seen for most movies I have gotten this with and what I’ve heard from other tends to kill it with kids.

56 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Anecdotal Evidence I know but from I’ve seen for most movies I have gotten this with and what I’ve heard from other tends to kill it with kids.

Some kids not younger ones. This will work for kids probably 8+ somewhat, really well for like 11+. That's why I'm cautious on WW numbers.

Edited by cdsacken

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'd love to see someone make a Pikachu over Lion King club. I bet several would be in. They are crazy as well, I was chastised for suggesting 1.2-1.5 billion for Lion King.

I did make one for biggest of the summer DOM (excluding Endgame) but that was me being bold. I have made tons of club that have failed (Lego Batman over $300M, and there’s probably a dozen more, I honestly have lost track at the amount of clubs I’ve made here) and made tons that have succeeded (I2 biggest of the summer, Ant Man 2 over Solo) just like many people here, we overpredict, we underpredict. But I don’t really think Pikachu will be the biggest of the summer.

There’s only 2-3 real people who think $1.5B or anything over Lion King is happening, one a hardcore WB stan, and the other is The Panda. Frankly, the only reason why some of you are so in arms is because of the joke Endgame comparisons

46 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'd love to see someone make a Pikachu over Lion King club. I bet several would be in. They are crazy as well, I was chastised for suggesting 1.2-1.5 billion for Lion King.

Or you are not good at detecting jokes. You should work on that.

Just now, cdsacken said:

Some are jokes, many are not. When you joke about it 500 times at some point it's not a joke.

98% are jokes. Very very annoying, but still jokes. And they are so obvious that you have to have no humor to detect them. Still very annoying.

• Like 4

I'd say like 90% and that's way too many. To be frank I got killed for saying it would be closer to 500 than 1.5 billion. Mind you if it's 999 million I'm still right so it's not much of a stretch to say that. Let's agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'd say like 90% and that's way too many. To be frank I got killed for saying it would be closer to 500 than 1.5 billion. Mind you if it's 999 million I'm still right so it's not much of a stretch to say that. Let's agree to disagree.

Again, the most obnoxious tend to amplify, we know that for all fanbases, like take the CBM/SW fanboys scourge, we have a lot of good fans who are members of the board where as the obvious fanboys ruin the image.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fair enough I actually hope it does well. If it does 1 or even 1.5 billion and I'm wrong all the better. I've been wrong countless times and often it's been to my benefit :D 

I remember telling my boss in 2016, 99% chance my wife doesn't get the job in England then a week later saying just kidding I was wrong.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Haha 1

Movie/Time Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Avengers: Endgame 28,434 23,630 25,480 23,680 15,554 10,718 16,568
  18 days 17 days 16 days 15 days 14 days 13 days 12 days

Detective Pikachu     1,329 766 368 221 238
      30 days 29 days 28 days 27 days 26 days

John Wick 3 99 59 56 32 21 21 24
  39 days 38 days 37 days 36 days 35 days 34 days 33 days

Secret Life of Pets 2     1 84 28 20 19
      58 days 57 days 56 days 55 days 54 days

Avengers

Day 17-12

178% of Black Panther (360.7M)

Last 7 days (18-12)

208% of Infinity War (535.6M)

653% of Captain Marvel (1B)

Day 22-12

248% of Infinity War (640.4M)

813% of Captain Marvel (1.2B)

Cumulative

96% of Infinity War (246.6M)

288% of Captain Marvel (442.1M)

Pikachu

First 5 days

14% of Captain Marvel (21.4M)

765% of Dragon 3 (420.9M)

114% of Dumbo (52.7M)

136% of Shazam! (72.8M)

Day 30-26

544% of Dragon 3 (299.4M)

45% of Captain Marvel (69.5M)

Cumulative

318% of Dragon 3 (174.9M)

So yeah, Avengers doing fantastic and Pokemon doing fine. Too tired to deal with Wick/Pets, but maybe in the next couple o weeks?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

Or you are not good at detecting jokes. You should work on that.

Problem with jokes (I am aware there are mostly jokes) is,

- too much repeats,

- not considering newbies not aware about whats probably reality

- some wordings are very sloppy, or telegram style, a foreign language speaker not knowings what up, will not see there is a joke with a high probability in that case.

- ppl not soooo much into a certain material, that might not be often in a certain thread, too can get a wrrong impression

But if the impression is already planted, future post often get understood the same way.

Only if someone points it out, something triggers doubt, ... a reavulation might happen for enough to be not the cause for misunderstandings, strange irritations and so on later on.

Maybe make it simpler for those per e.g. using matchin emotjis, joke hints, .... more often?

43 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So yeah, Avengers doing fantastic and Pokemon doing fine. Too tired to deal with Wick/Pets, but maybe in the next couple o weeks?

That would be great. Thank you. 

Definitely going to be more frontloaded. 

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions

75 + 12 FSS : 87

say around 13cr in weekdays : 100

15cr in next weekend : 115

25cr in next 4 days: 140

round down to 130. 

+25% TFA

+50% TLJ

+120% IW

these are basically estimates for EG and believe me very conservative.

I can do some math on opening day final pre-sales, that's almost +/- 5% accurate.

• Like 3